Maxwell 2017

Maxwell2019

I was accepted into Maxwell last week, but from the looks of it I will not be attending. But I'm still waiting on their decision regarding my financial aid. So if they give a lot of money (aka the Robertson Foundation Fellowship) then yes I will attend.

Mpamppquestions,

Based on what is happening to me so far, the earlier you apply (aka early decision) the sooner they notify you. However, that only works if your record is stunning and they desperately want you. In this scenario, schools will notify you immediately. In my case, my academic record was not great yet I had a stellar resume. I applied to all of my schools early last year and am now starting to hear back from them (basically means that my application wasn't good enough for early decision so they moved me to the first round of applications). Out of the eight schools I have applied to, only three so far have accepted me (all happened this month, no rejections yet, knock on wood). Also, based on other forums, most graduate schools send out their first round of acceptances in February and second round in March. Yet, most of the rejections also go out in March..? So don't worry too much yet. 

Mpamppquestions - see the FAQ:  44.When do you mail decisions?   We review applications from January - March. Notice of the admissions decision (Admissions and Denials) are emailed weekly beginning in mid January.  We will follow up all notices of Admission with a packet of information about the program admitted to, our admitted student visit days, and information helpful as you consider our offer of admission.   

So, the sooner you apply, the sooner you hear back.  If you applied right around the deadline, then you'll probably hear back before March, or around then.

I finished my application in late January (someone took a long time to write a letter of recommendation) so I don't expect to hear back for another few weeks. I hope I didn't apply too late to be considered for financial aid.

Edited by baysbar94

52 minutes ago, Maxwell2019 said:

Congrats.  Think you're keen on attending, or will wait for the aid package before a final decision?

Including Syracuse I've only applied to three schools (Pitt, CMU, Maxwell). CMU is definitely my #1, but Maxwell is a close second. Financial aid from both schools (granted I get in to CMU) will be a big factor, yes.

Edited by mpamppquestions

47 minutes ago, brittanyandrea said:

For those who have been accepted into Maxwell, how did they notify you? Was it through the portal? 

I received an email from the school. More or less said "Hey you've been accepted, expect an official offer through snail mail in the coming weeks and any financial aid offer in March."

12 minutes ago, mpamppquestions said:

I received an email from the school. More or less said "Hey you've been accepted, expect an official offer through snail mail in the coming weeks and any financial aid offer in March."

Thank you so much! I am losing my mind obsessively refreshing screens and email :(

2 hours ago, mpamppquestions said:

I'm sure you'll all hear soon :)

Not particularly sure why I received word so early, I submitted my application mere hours before the February 1st deadline. I'm certainly not not some insanely qualified shoe-in for the program, either.

I'm nervous because I submitted mine a few hours before the deadline too, but my professor waited until the 10th(!!!) to submit my letter.  I asked him back in December.  I hope they're understanding of this.  

Do you mind sharing your GPA, GRE and experience? Maybe (hopefully) it will make me feel better.  

37 minutes ago, brittanyandrea said:

I'm nervous because I submitted mine a few hours before the deadline too, but my professor waited until the 10th(!!!) to submit my letter.  I asked him back in December.  I hope they're understanding of this.  

Do you mind sharing your GPA, GRE and experience? Maybe (hopefully) it will make me feel better.  

I've been working at an environmental advocacy non-profit for over two years. 3.6 GPA (decentish small liberal arts school) and a 161 V/152 Q/ 4.0 AWA. Honestly I thought I would have been rejected from Maxwell. I agree, reach out to admissions. They aren't going to think you're "bugging" them or anything by checking to see that they've received all of your materials. 

1 hour ago, caitiroth said:

I got an acceptance email today too! I applied just a few days before the deadline, but one of my recommenders didn't submit his rec letter until last week (!) 

Good luck to everyone who's still waiting. 

If you don't mind me asking, what did your GRE and GPA look like?

Sure - 

GPA: 3.97 from a top 100 liberal arts college 

GRE: 170 V, 157 Q, 5.5 AWA 

Though I do think admissions decisions can't be boiled down to just these stats - my understanding is that things like work experience, your personal statement and your recommendations really matter.  I hope you're not freaking out!  It definitely seems like Maxwell has been sending out the acceptance notices in a piecemeal fashion, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything if you haven't heard yet. Good luck! 

Edited by caitiroth

I completed my application on January 17th (for some reason I thought it wise to not send it until my third and final recommender was done) and got my acceptance e-mail on Feb 8. 

I have only applied to four grad schools total (MPP/MPA/MPA/Econ) and would love to go to Syracuse, but to me it all boils down to how much funding I get, as I am not willing to put myself in huge debt for it. 

Good luck to everyone, hope to see you there. 

• 2 weeks later...