Maxwell 2017

Maxwell2019

2 hours ago, Maxwell2019 said:

I'll be at the April 10th one.  Anyone going to the reception on Thursday in DC?

Also, it seems that financial aid results will be sent from March 10-24.  Has anyone heard anything?

I haven't heard anything, however I heard they're even starting to make decisions till the 20th.

Sadly, I will not be able to attend any of the admitted student's days. Busy with class + finances getting in the way.

I am also curious if anyone has heard anything about financial aid yet. 

EDIT: Two weeks, geez. The financial aid results are so important for me to know what will happen going forward, was hoping it would be faster... Let's hope they said two weeks to hedge or because they will do it over time and that is the last date. 

Edited by RobinL

20 minutes ago, RobinL said:

Sadly, I will not be able to attend any of the admitted student's days. Busy with class + finances getting in the way.

I am also curious if anyone has heard anything about financial aid yet. 

EDIT: Two weeks, geez. The financial aid results are so important for me to know what will happen going forward, was hoping it would be faster... Let's hope they said two weeks to hedge or because they will do it over time and that is the last date. 

Seriously...my whole life is on hold until I hear about funding. I think another full 2 weeks will kill me. 

I am definitely attending! My home country's government supplies grants and loans ("loans", we're talking <1% rates) for living expenses so I'm basically covered. My partner is moving with me and she is working full time so it'll be all good! I'm from Sweden, she's from IL, we're living here atm though. :) Hope to see you there then, maybe we'll work together! 

Edited by RobinL

I have not heard from them at all yet. Do you think their silence is a bad sign at this point? I applied to the MAIR program and I guess if they are sending out stuff about financial offers to some of you and I have not heard what their admission decision is yet then I am worried that it does not look good for me.

I don't want to be that guy, but if you haven't heard about admissions yet by now, I wouldn't get my hopes up. My guess is they have been done with that for a few weeks and are now focusing on the financial aid-part. I am surprised they haven't contacted you at all, though. 

12 hours ago, JLDI said:

I have not heard from them at all yet. Do you think their silence is a bad sign at this point? I applied to the MAIR program and I guess if they are sending out stuff about financial offers to some of you and I have not heard what their admission decision is yet then I am worried that it does not look good for me.

I would definitely contact them.  I got my acceptance letter by mail yesterday, so I would assume even if you were not accepted you would have heard by now.  The admissions office is extremely helpful and are very quick to answer questions via email. 

Now I feel bad for what I said, Maxwell2019 and brittanyandrea are definitely correct, reach out! 

PolySciGuy: Economics degree. Officially from a smaller private university in IL, but technically I spent 2 years in Stockholm, 1 at a bigger more known state university in the US and then the last year here. GPA ~3.7, major ~GPA 3.9. GRE 159/164 I think. Am "older" (turning 30). Worked a few years in fundraising, a few years in local and national government agencies, last year spent at a really big one. One letter was from boss there, think it helped a lot, other two from professors. If not obvious I am Swedish but currently living in the US since ~2 years. That's about it. 

EDIT: I guess I technically am a statistics minor too, if I were to have taken my stuff over here.

Edited by RobinL

I received my offer today, about 30k in funding. Would still leave me with substantial debt ($35k minimum) on top of my remaining undergrad loans. I really have to think about this before making my decision. 

What do yall think?

55 minutes ago, PolySciGuy said:

I received my offer today, about 30k in funding. Would still leave me with substantial debt ($35k minimum) on top of my remaining undergrad loans. I really have to think about this before making my decision. 

What do yall think?

It really all depends on the other offers you've received.  I would say 35k in loans isn't all that bad, especially for a program with the reputation that Syracuse has. 

I'm getting so anxious about waiting to hear about funding from Syracuse.  It's the last decision I'm waiting on.  Polysciguy would you mind sharing your stats? I'm starting to think the longer they go without notifying me the less of a chance I have of getting anything. 

I have another offer for about the same amount but cost of living is higher at the other school and its a 2 year program.

I majored in political science and history, my gpa was around 3.8, major GPA (political science was 4.0), received some academic awards as an undergraduate, graduated cum laude, have some research experience with a professor after graduation, TFA alumni, 4 years work experience, last two I have held leadership positions at the high school where I teach. GRE 162v/158q/5.0 aw

19 minutes ago, PolySciGuy said:

I have another offer for about the same amount but cost of living is higher at the other school and its a 2 year program.

I majored in political science and history, my gpa was around 3.8, major GPA (political science was 4.0), received some academic awards as an undergraduate, graduated cum laude, have some research experience with a professor after graduation, TFA alumni, 4 years work experience, last two I have held leadership positions at the high school where I teach. GRE 162v/158q/5.0 aw

I'm a firm believer in not everything has to do with money, so I would go with your gut.  If your gut isn't telling you something either way, go with Syracuse.  Not only is it a highly recognized program, but the 1 year aspect of it will allow you to enter the workforce quicker. 

On 3/16/2017 at 8:54 PM, RobinL said:

I just got an email about being offered a graduate assistantship as well as some cash grants that would all in all cover over $55,000 of my total costs!!! I am SO happy now!

Hi Robin,

Congratulations on your acceptance and scholarship! I got into Maxwell through the Atlantis dual degree programme and I'm really inclined towards taking it up as well. I got a 35% scholarship and a small grant to cover other expenses, but it's not nearly enough. In my acceptance email, they said that I am eligible to apply for graduate assistantships but I did not realise that the applications can be made before the programme commences. Do you mind sharing some information about how one can go about applying for an assistantship? Thank you!

Edited by rachana187

Hi!

PolySciGuy: That is impossible for others to answer, really. Personally, knowing I won't be earning much I just refused to commit a big loan. I too have considerable undergrad loans, they are however at close to 0 interest rate, so they aren't as bothersome to me as they are for others. In the end, you know your financial situation the best, just be reasonable and think of how much you expect to earn and weigh your options. 

rachana187: Thank you! I simply checked the box in my application for graduate assistantship, it was right there next to fellowships and other awards (I don't remember the exact phrasing) in the financial aid-part of the application. I then filled in a box with some arguments as to why I would be a good graduate assistant, what experience I have, etc. After being admitted, I did contact admissions to explain my hopes of obtaining a graduate assistantship as well as explaining my financial situation. 

I don't really know what else to say. Don't be afraid to contact admissions with any of these questions, they have been incredibly helpful. I hope things work out for all of you!