Maxwell 2017

Maxwell2019

I was on the phone with admissions earlier today and they did mention that they had decided to shut down campus a few days last week on account of the storm, delaying some things. I was to expect more information tomorrow, for example, so maybe wait through tomorrow and then contact them yourself if nothing. 

19 minutes ago, mpamppquestions said:

Man, still can't believe I've heard anything about funding. It's difficult to plan out my summer until I know whether or not Maxwell is on the table given that this program starts in July.

I'm not really shocked because they said by April 1, but it's really killing me not knowing. Maybe today will be our day! 

5 minutes ago, baysbar94 said:

I just got an email from the financial aid office and it's all about federal loans. I fear this means I probably didn't get scholarship funding, but I'll keep waiting.

Just got this same email too, it does say "$10,250 per semester (this number is based on your Cost of Attendance and will be reduced by any other awards you receive for the term e.g. scholarship, assistantships, etc.)" so I'm assuming this doesn't rule that we aren't getting any.

hoping so far anyway

6 minutes ago, brittanyandrea said:

Just got this same email too, it does say "$10,250 per semester (this number is based on your Cost of Attendance and will be reduced by any other awards you receive for the term e.g. scholarship, assistantships, etc.)" so I'm assuming this doesn't rule that we aren't getting any.

hoping so far anyway

That's possible. Let's hope they were referring to future awards!

2 minutes ago, baysbar94 said:

That's possible. Let's hope they were referring to future awards!

I received the same email earlier today, listing the $10,250 amount, even though I received a $51k offer from Syracuse last week. So I think everyone received it--I wouldn't read too much into it!

4 minutes ago, Fall2017MPA said:

I received the same email earlier today, listing the $10,250 amount, even though I received a $51k offer from Syracuse last week. So I think everyone received it--I wouldn't read too much into it!

THANK YOU!!
now back to obsessively refreshing my email.

Also: how did they communicate your award to you?

Edited by brittanyandrea

37 minutes ago, RobinL said:

I received an email straight from admissions (well, a lady at admissions) which was then signed by Christine. There was no phone call if that is what you were thinking about. 

Same here. I received an email last Thursday. It looks like they spaced out their acceptance emails, so they're likely spacing the funding ones out as well. Don't give up hope!

I was just told that the Enrollment Management Service have not yet been made aware of any awards and that we are still "early in the process of admissions." This might not mean that much, but to me it seems that this says that they are not yet done with the funding process. Hopefully this will still some nervous hearts in here. 

22 hours ago, brittanyandrea said:

Well I just got an email stating that due to the extremely large applicant pool I will not be receiving any funding. Guess I'm crossing Syracuse off my list. 

Commiseration on the funding news. At least you really have good options in terms of funding and dream school.

On 20/03/2017 at 11:05 PM, RobinL said:

rachana187: Thank you! I simply checked the box in my application for graduate assistantship, it was right there next to fellowships and other awards (I don't remember the exact phrasing) in the financial aid-part of the application. I then filled in a box with some arguments as to why I would be a good graduate assistant, what experience I have, etc. After being admitted, I did contact admissions to explain my hopes of obtaining a graduate assistantship as well as explaining my financial situation. 

I don't really know what else to say. Don't be afraid to contact admissions with any of these questions, they have been incredibly helpful. I hope things work out for all of you! 

Thank you so much for your quick response! My application process was quite different because I applied through Hertie School of Governance which is a partner school for the Atlantis dual degree programme. So I didn't come across anything about graduate assistantships in my application. I should really get in touch with admissions office about this. Once again, thanks a lot for your inputs - you've been very helpful! :)

Rachana187 - can't wait to hear more about that program!  RobinL is right - reach out to Christine at the Admissions Office and she'll be more than happy to help you out.  Everyone in the office is very pleasant.  I believe that 25% of the incoming students do end up getting a graduate assistantship - but I'm not sure if they apply before arriving to campus, or when they first arrive.

4 hours ago, Maxwell2019 said:

Rachana187 - can't wait to hear more about that program!  RobinL is right - reach out to Christine at the Admissions Office and she'll be more than happy to help you out.  Everyone in the office is very pleasant.  I believe that 25% of the incoming students do end up getting a graduate assistantship - but I'm not sure if they apply before arriving to campus, or when they first arrive.

Thanks to your and RobinL's encouragement, I called the admissions office just now. You were both right - they're all so sweet and helpful! Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer for some clarity on my situation. But that's alright because I now know for how long at least!

About the Atlantis dual degree  - I came across the programme completely by accident while I was filling out my application to Hertie School of Governance in Berlin. I find that this link here - https://www.maxwell.syr.edu/paia/degrees/Atlantis_Program/ - explains it a lot better than I ever could! 

Has anyone else been accepted to the MPA/IR joint program? I received about 52K (GA included) for the program overall, and it's my most generously funded program. However, I'm interested in entering the State Dept. or the multilateral sector professionally, and I wonder if Maxwell would be a sufficient means to break into these sectors. Anyone have any insight?

On 4/3/2017 at 3:46 PM, Maxwell2019 said:

Hope you had fun!  How was it?  I'm attending the one next week.  Are you for sure attending?

I did have fun! I liked it but I didn't love it honestly. For me it's between Maxwell, SIS, and Elliott, and honestly I'm leaning towards Elliott. If you want to hear some details about what I thought feel free to shoot me a message!