Profile for PhD in Public Policy

Hi everyone,

I posted this in Government Affairs, and folks recommended that I post here too for feedback.  Thanks!

I am planning on applying to public policy PhD programs this fall (for fall 2018 entry).  I am 37 yrs old, which I know makes me an older applicant. My quick background: undergrad (3.7 GPA at average state school), MPP (3.8 GPA at top 10), MPhil (Oxbridge). Professionally, I have had very strong results, with many promotions and increased responsibility each year - 4 yrs strategy consulting in DC and London, 5 yrs VP role at well known national nonprofit, 4 yrs Chief role at national nonprofit. I want to go into an academic role - research, teaching, and applied work.  I think I will have a compelling SOP.  I need to take the GRE but imagine will be in 80-90 percentile based on previous results.  My top picks are Harvard, UofC, Duke, Georgia Tech, UNC, Georgia State, George Washington. I also may look at Oxford or LSE.

A few questions:

1. On paper, I feel like I'm a strong candidate - but worry my age will be a problem (either because Adcoms will worry about my commitment or my employability into a TT role). Any thoughts on how much my age will be a barrier to PP programs? Note, I originally was looking at econ programs and got clear feedback that I'm too old and don't have the math background.

2. I have great references from my academic experience - both grad degrees required a thesis and those advisors would be very strong.  But those are from 2004 and 2005 - which I imagine won't be that helpful. Any advice on whether to use 0, 1, or 2 of those?  Related, how many professional references would be suitable?  Those would be strong too.

3. Are there any programs folks recommend for older candidates?

4. Math requirements - some programs note reqts through multivariate calculus and linear algebra.  I took through calc II in college (B grade) and then took 2 stats courses in grad school.  I could do a refresher on calc I-II on my own, then take calc III (which includes multivariate) and linear algebra.  Any advice on whether that would be worth it?

Thanks in advance!

@southerncharm, I'm afraid I can't properly answer your questions but I have some advices that might partially help with all the mentioned issues. I'm 31 and have just got accepted into some programs.

As you correctly said, Adcoms are looking for candidates which will be successful in the job market. Additionally, they are looking for candidates who will manage to finish their studies/thesis on time. Whereas age by itself could be a limiting factor, it seems you used your years outside academia very well. Further than that, being older means you're also more responsible and, potentially, more focused, meaning you are getting into the PhD knowing exactly what you want.

I'd recommend focusing your cover letter on what exactly you want to research, how you want to do it (methods, methods, methods!!!!) and which are the contributions it will bring to your field (refer to specific theories and gaps, as it will show that you are very familiar with the current literature). This way you'd possibly address the issues of question (2) and gain some points on question (1), turning your age into a favorable issue.

As for employability, I'd go in the contrary direction of your assumption: you've already proved yourself. You have a successful CV and even if you don't end up in academia, you'll surely have an outstanding position outside of it. You could use one short phrase to say that you want to divide your future into research activities and consultancy in the private sector. I guess it would settle the issue.

Additionally, not exactly an answer to (3) but... As you've mentioned Georgia Tech and George State, take a look at their joint program in Public Policy. It might be a great option.

Also in regards of the chosen universities, make sure you exchange e-mails with at least one potential supervisor in each of them. Send an initial message, present yourself, show why you'd like to work with him and ask whether he would be interested. It will surely add some points and help you to identify universities with a good fit.

And, finally (4), I assume a high GRE/Math would show you won't have problems with calculus/algebra/stats/etc.

Good luck! :)