UC Berkeley MSW Fall 2017

wokebrowngirl

Hi folxs. After months of creeping on the forums I decided I couldn't take it anymore. Any UC Berkeley, MSW applicants on here? I received an email this morning about decisions rolling out between March 13-17th but I know there have been instances of even earlier decision notifications. The wait is sooo agonizing. :(

Thank you for making this! I've been dying of anxiety. I got the same email and it was super disappointing because I was hoping to hear by the end of this month or early next month since that seemed to be the trend. 

I'm not sure if Berkeley is my first choice. It might depend on how financial aid compares between Berkeley, Columbia and NYU, but honestly I think the University of Gothenburg may be my first choice since I'm planning on focusing on international sexual wellness and sexual violence prevention. 

34 minutes ago, lunabathory said:

I'm not sure if Berkeley is my first choice. It might depend on how financial aid compares between Berkeley, Columbia and NYU, but honestly I think the University of Gothenburg may be my first choice since I'm planning on focusing on international sexual wellness and sexual violence prevention. 

Definitely! I've heard great things about financial aid through friends that are currently in the program but I'd also be paying in-state tuition which for me beats all other private university options. But even for out of state students, they really do mean it when they say that there's higher chances for more fellowships during year two. They've also been expanding their summer abroad opportunities.

Also, not sure if you've looked into their MSW+MPH program (which you can apply to during the first year of the program if you didn't apply for the dual initially) but there are one of two different professors that focus on international sexual wellness and sexual violence topics. 

When do you hear back from Gothenburg?

I have! I'll probably apply to the dual program if I go to Berkeley. And I remember them having some really good faculty. 

I wont hear back from Gothenburg until March 24th so I guess the Berkeley timeline isn't too disappointing. 

What's your first choice?

I got the same email today. How does this work if other schools deposits/deadlines are well before Berkeley sends out decisions? I've heard of people requesting extensions, any ideas?

1 hour ago, lunabathory said:

I have! I'll probably apply to the dual program if I go to Berkeley. And I remember them having some really good faculty. 

I wont hear back from Gothenburg until March 24th so I guess the Berkeley timeline isn't too disappointing. 

What's your first choice?

Cal is my first choice. I'm an alumni and my partner is a current graduate student there too; we live in the university housing and all so it's pretty convenient. My professional network is out here and since I went for undergrad, I know how I'd like to use my electives to collaborate with professors from other departments to strengthen my work experience. But I'm honestly not sure if they admit many undergraduate alumni. When I attended their info sessions a lot of people had gone to undergrad elsewhere, including people I'm close to that are currently in the program. We'll see I guess.

On 2/8/2017 at 0:47 PM, wokebrowngirl said:

Right? All the other top MSW programs have sooner admission decision deadlines. Some folxs have only had to wait a few weeks for their notice. We're waiting months! Is Cal your top choice MarleneM and Lunabathory? 

I also did undergrad at Cal! Are you a student parent too? Berkeley is definitely my first choice but some life events have suddenly made UCLA a close second. There's a possibility we might have to relocate to LA and UCLA is the only school I applied to in SoCal. :(

3 hours ago, MarleneM said:

I also did undergrad at Cal! Are you a student parent too? Berkeley is definitely my first choice but some life events have suddenly made UCLA a close second. There's a possibility we might have to relocate to LA and UCLA is the only school I applied to in SoCal. :(

I'm not a student parent; just married and found family housing to be better for us financially than the current market rate around the East Bay. My partner is a PhD student and they really do give a miserable stipend for what it costs to live out here. Are you currently living in the East Bay? I wish I had applied to UCLA, I might also have to relocate as well due to family issues. If Cal doesn't work out, I'll probably move back home, work and apply to UCLA for the next year. But Cal's MSW program has gotten so darn good compared to past years. :( I feel you. :( 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2017 at 6:25 PM, MSW BOUND 2017 said:

Anyone apply to the Title IV-E program at UCB?

Not for Cal, but I did get into UCLA last week and will be applying for it there. Soo expensive! :(

On 3/3/2017 at 5:33 PM, MSW BOUND 2017 said:

Wow Congrats ? on UCLA! It sucks that it's sooo expensive but the IV-E stipend helps. I'm still waiting to here back from Cal. I interviewed mid February and the last interviews were today so I'm hoping to hear soon.

Congratulations Marlene! MSW Bound, how did your interview go?

13 hours ago, MSW BOUND 2017 said:

What actually makes the wait worse it that the title IV-E applicants for UCB are suppose to receive phone calls of acceptances. I hear an email is a denial or waitlist? 

Not many people apply to IV-E though, from what I've heard. The commitment is a really long one to make. Best of luck!!!!

14 hours ago, MSW BOUND 2017 said:

I think the interview went okay, it could have went better but I was soo nervous. All the questions were soo straightforward. The caffeine beforehand didn't give me a boost like I thought it had me jittery lol

Oh no! Well....based off my creeping and searching around the websites looks like last year they sent out informal "you got in" emails to people that were also offered a fellowship the Friday before the official decision week. Your decision might be in sooner than you think! As for the official decision week; looks like they send a mix of acceptances, rejections and waitlists spread over days. :| The wait thus far has been agonizing. 

Hey everyone!

It's almost decision time, hopefully less than a week left! I am actually going a bit crazy here.

I ended up getting a really cool job with my Universities Women's Center right after the applications were submitted. I kind of wish I had gotten it prior, because it seems like it could have helped me get a fellowship or accepted. Hopefully my past experience and GPA are enough though! 

Good luck!!

Edited by KaylaJay

10 hours ago, KaylaJay said:

Hey everyone!

It's almost decision time, hopefully less than a week left! I am actually going a bit crazy here.

I ended up getting a really cool job with my Universities Women's Center right after the applications were submitted. I kind of wish I had gotten it prior, because it seems like it could have helped me get a fellowship or accepted. Hopefully my past experience and GPA are enough though! 

Good luck!!

Good Luck to you too!! By next Friday we should all know!!!

1 hour ago, MarleneM said:

So exciting... :) Good Luck to you all ! 

Did any of you apply to the health concentration? 

I did not but I applied to the Management and Planning concentration and curious about who else did too! Anyone?

59 minutes ago, wokebrowngirl said:

I did not but I applied to the Management and Planning concentration and curious about who else did too! Anyone?

I also applied to Management and Planning... So maybe we will be classmates!