UC Berkeley MSW Fall 2017

wokebrowngirl

16 minutes ago, wokebrowngirl said:

There is.  The waitlist is not ranked though, it's by group concentration. The deadline to submit my interest in staying on the waitlist in in April. I am not sure what I would like to do and have to think things over so yah. Meltoid, are you going to stay on the waitlist?

Congrats Lunabathory!

Send it in asap because I hear there are limited spaces and they end of ranking it based on when everyone sends in.

57 minutes ago, Paola said:

Hi ladies! I got in too!!!!!!! I've been following this thread and so happy to see some of you got in or are waitlisted! Question does your letter also say you have to wait for he graduate divisions approval? I want to be excited but want to make sure I'm not the only one....

My letter said the same. I don't think they would be so cruel to disappoint us at the end though. Lol If it's any comfort UCLA did the same and I got the official acceptance 1week later. 

2 minutes ago, MarleneM said:

My letter said the same. I don't think they would be so cruel to disappoint us at the end though. Lol If it's any comfort UCLA did the same and I got the official acceptance 1week later. 

Ok! I just did not want to be the only one. So technically we can all celebrate right?!? :)

Holy sh*t, I got accepted too! CMH concentration. Got the email at 3pm PST. Is anyone else going to the meet&greet in April?

wokebrowngirl - I hear good things about being Waitlisted at this point. It's a big deal to make the cut at all and people definitely drop their acceptance slots. I hope I see you on campus!

4 hours ago, meltoid said:

Wokebrowngirl, I already sent in my reply to stay on the waitlist and I think you should too!  Even if you change your mind at least you are on the list.  I just called to see how they will process it.  I know it is by concentration by I want to know how else they choose?  Just first come first serve on who said to be on the waitlist or are we already ranked somehow.

But I also applied to SJSU and CSUMB which are part-time programs and probably more suited for my life but still.... I love Berkeley!  (went there for undergrad).  I kinda like to choose the most crazy options in life.  For instance, I drive 2 hours each way to work because I wanted to work at my old community college! Haha!  But its worth it in the end! 

Come on, Workbrowngirl!  Get on dat waitlist!  (What others schools did you apply to? Maybe we'll end up two woke brown girls in the same program in the end! haha)

Wishing you both the best of luck with the waitlist! I hear a lot about people getting off and offered admissions? I know the MAP concentration is small but I'm sure some will not go if they get better funding elsewhere. I'm keeping faith and hope alive?

31 minutes ago, MSW BOUND 2017 said:

Wishing you both the best of luck with the waitlist! I hear a lot about people getting off and offered admissions? I know the MAP concentration is small but I'm sure some will not go if they get better funding elsewhere. I'm keeping faith and hope alive?

1 hour ago, EastBayNative said:

Holy sh*t, I got accepted too! CMH concentration. Got the email at 3pm PST. Is anyone else going to the meet&greet in April?

wokebrowngirl - I hear good things about being Waitlisted at this point. It's a big deal to make the cut at all and people definitely drop their acceptance slots. I hope I see you on campus!

Y'all are the sweetest! ? I hope we can make it out of the Waitlist! If any of y'all need advice or help with housing let me know. Same goes for any of any that are local and students of color that want to be involved with campus orgs- my friend in S.O.U.R.C.E has mentioned she'd really like to get recently admitted students involved early. 

Hi all,

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and good luck to all who are still in limbo! I was recently accepted to the MSW Title IV-E program at both UC Berkeley and SF State, and am trying to make a decision. I'm leaning towards SF State at this point because it is so much cheaper (around $8,000/yr vs $22,000/yr for tuition), but I'm wondering if any of you (particularly those of you in direct service, since I know the MAP program is not something offered for most other MSW programs) have strong reasons you would choose Berkeley over another (cheaper) option. 

Thanks in advance for any advice!

2 hours ago, bayareakid said:

Hi all,

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted, and good luck to all who are still in limbo! I was recently accepted to the MSW Title IV-E program at both UC Berkeley and SF State, and am trying to make a decision. I'm leaning towards SF State at this point because it is so much cheaper (around $8,000/yr vs $22,000/yr for tuition), but I'm wondering if any of you (particularly those of you in direct service, since I know the MAP program is not something offered for most other MSW programs) have strong reasons you would choose Berkeley over another (cheaper) option. 

Hey! Congrats on getting in! I can't answer your question now because I'm having the same dilemma. I did have a question for you, when did you find out about sfsu?

do you know if you found out already because you applied to the Title IV- E program? I applied to sfsu MSW program but not title iv e and still haven't heard anything so I'm kinda nervous especially if you've already heard I've tried looking around and haven't seen any other posts of people being accepted yet.

any info you may have would be helpful!

thank you!

20 hours ago, ryyyan said:

Just got in as well with departmental fellowship in the CMH concentration. Do y'all know if the official notification will be sent via email or snail mail?

Congrats! I think we might have met at the info session. 

16 minutes ago, Paola said:

Hey! Congrats on getting in! I can't answer your question now because I'm having the same dilemma. I did have a question for you, when did you find out about sfsu?

do you know if you found out already because you applied to the Title IV- E program? I applied to sfsu MSW program but not title iv e and still haven't heard anything so I'm kinda nervous especially if you've already heard I've tried looking around and haven't seen any other posts of people being accepted yet.

thank you!

2 hours ago, bayareakid said:

Hi all,

bayareakid & Paola congrats! I also applied to SF State and haven't heard back. I am a student parent and would get more financial/moral support from Berkeley than State. Berkeley has amazing support for student with families. UC Berkeley also has an amazing alumni network. 

bayareakid wait, isn't UCB  $11,113.25 /year or did I miss something? :o

6 hours ago, MarleneM said:

bayareakid & Paola congrats! I also applied to SF State and haven't heard back. I am a student parent and would get more financial/moral support from Berkeley than State. Berkeley has amazing support for student with families. UC Berkeley also has an amazing alumni network. 

it's 11,113.25 per semester :(

9 hours ago, bayareakid said:

Hi all,

i'm not in SFSU's program, but my coworker is (he's not doing title iv-e either). he told me though he's really unhappy with the program and that the students are creating a bill of rights to send to the department to address how they are being treated and the education they are receiving... i guess some folks have been experiencing some (racial) microaggressions by some of the professors in class. 

obviously take that with a grain of salt! but hearing that definitely made me rethink my willingness to attend sfsu if i get in.

13 minutes ago, Paola said:

Has anyone received any other update since yesterday's email?

Asked how waitlist will be handled. Got this reply:

"We won't begin to move people off the waitlist until after April 15th, which is the deadline for people to respond to our admission offers. From April 15-May 31st, we will move people off the waitlist according to how many people respond to our admission offers.

Best,

Admissions Office
School of Social Welfare, UC Berkeley"

I asked if the waitlisted ppl are in line with a number but they didn't answer that part.

9 hours ago, eazypeezy said:

it's 11,113.25 per semester :(

Sadly, 11,113.25 is for the 2016/17 semester school year. Fees will be changing for 2017/18? However, I would still choose Cal over any other school in the bay. They have sooo many resources there especially for student parents like myself.  I did my undergrad there so I may be somewhat biased. I do hear with a MSW that jobs don't care where you get the degree from, it matters where you do your internships. Sf State, Eastbay and Cal MSW students have access to the same internships so really you are paying for the name, the experience, and access to resources you may have at your disposal. 

10 hours ago, meltoid said:

Asked how waitlist will be handled. Got this reply:

"We won't begin to move people off the waitlist until after April 15th, which is the deadline for people to respond to our admission offers. From April 15-May 31st, we will move people off the waitlist according to how many people respond to our admission offers.

Best,

Admissions Office
School of Social Welfare, UC Berkeley"

I asked if the waitlisted ppl are in line with a number but they didn't answer that part.

Well depending on how many people decline the admission offer, it sounds like that's how many they would take off the waitlist. So it's seems they have to use some order to take people off. It's probably something generated but I'm almost sure it's a rank order well at least it was previous years.

Edited by MSW BOUND 2017

On 3/16/2017 at 2:08 PM, Paola said:

thank you!

Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I'm going to try to get hooked up with a current student there to see if I can get more info regarding professors, etc.

I would guess I found out because of Title IV-E, since I had to interview and they let me know the week right after. They also said I need to let them know by March 27, so I'm assuming after they've solidified who's doing Title IV-E, they start making offers to other applicants. This is conjecture though, I really have no idea!

Congrats to everyone who received admission and fingers crossed for those waiting. I'm looking for some advise on choosing schools. I'm an international student and I've been offered admissions to Berkeley's Social Welfare and Columbia's Social Work Program. 

Columbia's first year cohort is around 400 and Berkeley's is around 100 grad students. I'd prefer a smaller school and graduate program and I doubt social services/post-masters programs care about a school's name than the program so Columbia's name itself is not even a consideration for me. However, I've heard that Columbia offers a lot of different opportunities considering all the diverse agencies in NYC. Others have told me that California comes off as a very privileged state and agencies are better equipped than those in New York State. I don't how valid this point is. However, if this is indeed the case... I am worried that my experience and expectations in the West Coast wouldn't be as realistic or practical if I decide to work in the East Coast. 

I'm at a lost on where I should go so any help would be appreciated,

Thanks ~

Edited by Davei

On 3/16/2017 at 2:35 PM, MarleneM said:

I called UCB today and they said tuition for the 2017/2018 is 14,068/semester. I was in shock so I called back and waited to speak to someone else to confirm. The next person said that price for tuition was projected and no one will know for sure until July, as fees update each July.

The nonresident supplemental fee is pretty killer on the wallet as well but... oh well! 

Does anyone who already lives there/is familiar with the area have any recommendations on housing? I'll be moving with my partner and I see that there is family housing but I'm guessing that is more for folks with kids. Housing in the area seems astronomical, unless you go into Oakland which I've heard is very unsafe...