For those who applied to NY schools for Fall 2017...

1 hour ago, slpgrad620 said:

I got called saying I was selected for an interview w/ CUNY Queens College on Monday. Interviews start this Friday so I scheduled mine for next Fri. 

Oh wow! Congrats on the interview! I've never heard of anyone being called to be notified before. Did they email you as well in addition to the call? I usually put my parents home phone number down for places I expect don't really need to contact me via phone so that would suck if they only call b/c who knows when I'd ever get the message ?

33 minutes ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Oh wow! Congrats on the interview! I've never heard of anyone being called to be notified before. Did they email you as well in addition to the call? I usually put my parents home phone number down for places I expect don't really need to contact me via phone so that would suck if they only call b/c who knows when I'd ever get the message ?

I only received a phone call and no other message nor did the portal change. You should def. keep up with your parents if you're waiting for the call. If you don't pick up, they leave a voicemail with a number so look into that. 

6 hours ago, slpgrad620 said:

I only received a phone call and no other message nor did the portal change. You should def. keep up with your parents if you're waiting for the call. If you don't pick up, they leave a voicemail with a number so look into that. 

Really?? Wowww. I'm shocked that's all they did! Thank you so much for that information!! I'll let my parents know right now 

1 hour ago, SpeechLaedy said:

Really?? Wowww. I'm shocked that's all they did! Thank you so much for that information!! I'll let my parents know right now 

Yeah I guess it's unconvenient but either way, good luck finding out & hope you get the call! 

• 3 weeks later...

@SpeechLaedy Ugh I'm sorry! Don't beat yourself up though, the CUNYs are damn near impossible to get into. Plenty of people with amazing stats get rejected every year. I haven't heard back from the two I applied to either and didn't get asked to interview.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

@SpeechLaedy I was actually really nervous cause it was my first and only interview with a grad program so I prepared a lot but they ended up asking nothing speech related except asking me how I got to where I was. Group interview, was really relaxed, and was asked questions that came up at the moment (and totally not speech related AT ALL) cause I guess they wanted to see how quick/creative you can be with your answers.. Not sure how it went cause I kind of feel like I was overshadowed by this one girl but just hoping for the best. 

Did you find out if you got the call? 

7 hours ago, Murr57 said:

I'm seeing a lot of decisions from Hofstra on the results page!! 

Yea, I didn't expect that acceptance, but I'm very happy! 

On 3/20/2017 at 6:08 PM, slpgrad620 said:

@SpeechLaedy I was actually really nervous cause it was my first and only interview with a grad program so I prepared a lot but they ended up asking nothing speech related except asking me how I got to where I was. Group interview, was really relaxed, and was asked questions that came up at the moment (and totally not speech related AT ALL) cause I guess they wanted to see how quick/creative you can be with your answers.. Not sure how it went cause I kind of feel like I was overshadowed by this one girl but just hoping for the best. 

This is actually helpful for my since I'm going for my interview this Friday! Thank you so much :) I'm hoping to get into QC. The commute wouldn't be great, but my wallet will thank me.

Also...When I called Eileen back (she left a vm) she informed me that this Friday (3/24) was the last Friday for interviews. Just an FYI! 

12 minutes ago, sapphireskies said:

Yea, I didn't expect that acceptance, but I'm very happy! 

This is actually helpful for my since I'm going for my interview this Friday! Thank you so much :) I'm hoping to get into QC. The commute wouldn't be great, but my wallet will thank me.

Also...When I called Eileen back (she left a vm) she informed me that this Friday (3/24) was the last Friday for interviews. Just an FYI! 

Yeah it probably isn't the last day for interviews though since I was told that they were planning to interview all month & they told us to expect to hear back starting April 1st. 
Hope I get in as well. Good luck. 

I am an out of field applicant and was recently accepted into LIU Post and Hofstra. I am over the moon excited that I got into two programs but the hard part is deciding which one is best for me. I was wondering if any of you knew information about these two programs that could help me come to a decision. I am not from Long Island so I do not know much about these schools in general. Anything and everything will be helpful! 

On 3/20/2017 at 6:08 PM, slpgrad620 said:

I actually ended up double checking the QC online application the day you told me they call for decisions and saw that I actually put down my cell! So I'm happy I won't have to worry about my parents not getting the message to me when they call. Thanks so much for all that great info about the interview process! Hopefully I'll get an acceptance or at least a chance to interview there. I love that school since I graduated from there. So I'm hoping they will give me the chance to stay. Good luck to you!! Hoping you get in!! 

On 3/20/2017 at 3:59 PM, ElKel87 said:

@SpeechLaedy Ugh I'm sorry! Don't beat yourself up though, the CUNYs are damn near impossible to get into. Plenty of people with amazing stats get rejected every year. I haven't heard back from the two I applied to either and didn't get asked to interview.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks! I'm trying not to. At the same time, I'm starting to prepare a backup plan just in case (praying I won't need to go through with it). I def hope we get an acceptance soon! 

33 minutes ago, SLPtobe1093 said:

Does anyone know any information about Hofstra and Molloy that can help me make my decision? They are pretty close in price and are only 10 minutes from each other.

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm in a similar situation, I didn't not apply to Hofstra but I have been accepted to Molloy and St. John's. I'm having difficulty deciding between the two and they similar pricing/commute. I can tell you my feelings towards Molloy are that it is a tight knit community, where the professors take great interest in their students. I am hoping someone may give me more information on the program at St. John's. From what I know this may be a more prestigious program but it is also larger so may require more independence. If anyone has any information on either program it would be extremely helpful!!!

6 minutes ago, 2bridges said:

Anyone still waiting to hear from St. John's? I've seen only a few posting for them on the results section. I'm wondering how late they can possibly notify us.

If it helps, St. John's requires deposits for those attending to be submitted by April 15th. I'd say after this date they will send out more acceptances trying to fill their class. Good luck!

23 minutes ago, slp1234 said:

Congrats on your acceptance! I'm in a similar situation, I didn't not apply to Hofstra but I have been accepted to Molloy and St. John's. I'm having difficulty deciding between the two and they similar pricing/commute. I can tell you my feelings towards Molloy are that it is a tight knit community, where the professors take great interest in their students. I am hoping someone may give me more information on the program at St. John's. From what I know this may be a more prestigious program but it is also larger so may require more independence. If anyone has any information on either program it would be extremely helpful!!!

If it helps, St. John's requires deposits for those attending to be submitted by April 15th. I'd say after this date they will send out more acceptances trying to fill their class. Good luck!

I'm still waiting on St John's but sending out more acceptances after April 15 sounds like a foolish thing for them to do, considering many schools require deposits to be sent in by the same day.. Wouldn't nobody really attend that school if they already decided on other ones (well only if they got into other programs) .. I just wish they'd send out more answers just because all this waiting is killing us 

17 minutes ago, slpgrad620 said:

I'm still waiting on St John's but sending out more acceptances after April 15 sounds like a foolish thing for them to do, considering many schools require deposits to be sent in by the same day.. Wouldn't nobody really attend that school if they already decided on other ones (well only if they got into other programs) .. I just wish they'd send out more answers just because all this waiting is killing us 

I completely agree! I'm in the same boat for two other programs. It seems to me some schools wont send out those rejections and waitlists until they are pretty much have their incoming class set. As unfavorable it is, you could send in a deposit for one school and withdrawal after hearing back from your top choice. Unfortunately you'll lose out on a couple hundred dollars but you need to attend the program you love the most! Waiting is the worst part but stay hopeful, in previous years people are still receiving acceptances in May!

I'm wondering if St. John's would at least have to give the people they've accepted two weeks to decide before the April 15 deadline. So I guess the latest would be April 1. 

EdFind shows that they typically have 134 admissions offers but where are all these people lol. I've barely seen any posting for St. Johns on the results page for this year and previous years too.  I wonder if they accept most of their undergrad students. I missed their open house so I don't know much besides what is posted on their website. My colleague graduated from their SLP department a few years ago and she said St. John's notification came very late and she had to interview. 

@SpeechLaedy I'm currently at QC for undergrad and love the program and professors here. I saw an acceptance on the results page so I'm nervous now. Have you received any call or notification? 

On 3/27/2017 at 4:00 PM, slp1234 said:

I completely agree! I'm in the same boat for two other programs. It seems to me some schools wont send out those rejections and waitlists until they are pretty much have their incoming class set. As unfavorable it is, you could send in a deposit for one school and withdrawal after hearing back from your top choice. Unfortunately you'll lose out on a couple hundred dollars but you need to attend the program you love the most! Waiting is the worst part but stay hopeful, in previous years people are still receiving acceptances in May!

Receiving an answer in May would be torture.. I only received an acceptance from Adelphi & the deadline is due on the 15th of April and spent another week without any answers so I'm guessing I'll have to submit my deposit :( I feel like NY schools take EXTRA long .. 

I JUST received an email from Hofstra and was notified that I'm waitlisted.. Although I wasn't planning on going there even if I was accepted, I'm just glad that I FINALLY heard back! 
Hope this gives anybody hope that they should also be hearing back soon. 

On 3/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, G.Speech said:

Has anyone not heard from New York Medical College that did an interview? I interviewed about 4 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Hey! I noticed you applied to Yeshiva I interviewed there last month but haven't heard anything. Did they say when decisions would be out?

@slpgrad620 I didn't get any response yet from Queens. Smh. Apparently there are only 15 spots to fill there (which was less than I remembered). So I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't accepted, even though I would absolutely love to be. I did get called for an interview yesterday for Touro though, so I guess that's good news 

2 hours ago, Alyspeechie said:

Hey! I noticed you applied to Yeshiva I interviewed there last month but haven't heard anything. Did they say when decisions would be out?

Hi there! I interviewed at Yeshiva on Feb. 28th. They gave me a decision right on the spot, and asked me to turn in the deposit by March 15. So it's possible they have been sending out more acceptances after that date. 

16 hours ago, SpeechLaedy said:

@slpgrad620 I didn't get any response yet from Queens. Smh. Apparently there are only 15 spots to fill there (which was less than I remembered). So I wouldn't be surprised if I wasn't accepted, even though I would absolutely love to be. I did get called for an interview yesterday for Touro though, so I guess that's good news 

Yeah I'm getting pretty nervous since there are already two acceptances posted on the results page and who knows how many other acceptances were sent out but I also am not expecting to be accepted .. 
But that's good to hear. Good luck on your interview! :)