How to rank my MSc applications?

Cpt Jack

Hello all! I am a new member in this forum and this is my 1st post :)

I have completed an undergraduate degree in International Economics and look to proceed to a MSc in Finance. Note that I have chosen programmes which enable me to construct a Corporate Finance specialization by choosing certain electives.

TL;DR  I have formed the following ranking of schools and ask for your opinion.

1) Stockholm School of Economics - MSc Finance

2) Rotterdam School of Management (Erasmus University Rotterdam) - MSc Finance & Investments

3) Erasmus School of Economics (Erasmus University Rotterdam) - MSc Economics and Business (specialization Financial Economics)

4) Amsterdam Business School (University of Amsterdam) - MSc Finance (specialization Corporate Finance)

5) Tilburg School of Economics and Management (Tilburg University) - MSc Finance

6) Lund School of Economics and Management (Lund University) - MSc Accounting and Finance (specialization Corporate FInancial Management)

Here is my list, expressing the reasons based on which I formed it.

1) Stockholm School of Economics - MSc Finance

I put this 1st because of its spectacular reputation but I highly doubt I would eventually consider going there, even if I got an offer, since it is a 2-year program and I'm starting to believe that I even if I got all the scholarships I applied for, the received money would probably still not suffice.

2) Rotterdam School of Management (Erasmus University Rotterdam) - MSc Finance & Investments

This is my "1st" choice since it is a one-year program with exceptional reputation.

And here comes the headache...

3) Erasmus School of Economics (Erasmus University Rotterdam) - MSc Economics and Business (specialization Financial Economics)

I chose this as 3rd mainly because Rotterdam is significantly cheaper than Amsterdam and this programme seems to offer a lot of training in corporate valuation (perhaps the most relevant course for corporate finance). However, its elecitve courses (the programme is comprised of Electives - 4 ECTS and Seminars - 12 ECTS) are only 4 ECTS and most of them do not offer assignments but rather written exams. Most seminars also seem to rely a lost to economic research (assignments) and I'm concerned whether the knowledge I will learn can be applied in real business situations.

4) Amsterdam Business School (University of Amsterdam) - MSc Finance (specialization Corporate Finance)

Even though it is a business school and with the exact specialization I seek, I put it 4th because of the cost of living in Amsterdam. Moreover, I kinda disagree with the course structure (5 ECTS in Valuation and a whole 5 ECTS course devoted to Corporate Governance seems a bit strange to me). However, course assignments are a big plus.

5) Tilburg School of Economics and Management (Tilburg University) - MSc Finance

In this one I can construct my ideal specialization but I put it 5th because TIlburg is a rather small city which means I would most likely have to move to a bigger one after graduation. It is also a great institute with high rankings and excellent reputation, but a bit less known (as far as I can speculate based on Internet info) than the previous institutes.

6) Lund School of Economics and Management (Lund University) - MSc Accounting and Finance (specialization Corporate FInancial Management)

This programme has a very attractive course structure but Lund is a small town, which mean (like in Tilburg), that I would certainly have to move to a a bigger city. The school is well-known and with ties to the business world but achieves lower rankings than most abovementioned institutions.

Please not that if none of the first 5 accepts me, I will probably apply to Maastricht University (MSc International Business - Finance), and try to figure out which one to choose between Lund and Maastricht (supposing I receive an offer from both).

So how do you find my list? Would you change something? If so, why? Please feel free to share your thoughts! I'm looking forward to your responses!

Edited by Cpt Jack

• 1 month later...