NE Fall 2017 Applicants' Thread

somebloke

Just wondering how many other nuclear engineering applicants are around. I thought it would be nice if we could keep each other informed and see how things are going, considering there are so few of us and not enough information is out there for our programmes on these forums.

Did anyone receive an email from UCB to transfer their application to the MEng programme? Does it mean a rejection from PhD/MS(whatever you applied for)?

Hi lordofnumpties. I'm applying to NE PhD programs for Fall 2017. I've done my best to update the grad cafe results section as I hear back from programs!

Yes, I also received a similar email from UCB. No, the email is unlikely to mean a rejection. I assume they would clearly say so otherwise. Beyond that, I have no idea what this email signifies about my likelihood of getting accepted.

Perhaps UCB just really wants to fill up their MEng program and is spamming us. I continue to be optimistic!

Hi guys, so good to see other NE applicants. I've also posted the results in the results sections as I heard from them. A similar email from UCB, too. I was rather confused by that, but now that you guys mentioned it, I think it's only a spamming email.  On the other way, it seems that many NE programs are rather late in making their decisions compared to previous years. Then again, I don't know what to expect from them and I'm pretty sure it'll be hard for me to get into top schools. Hang in there.

Hi all,

I received an email from UW Madison notifying me that the NEEP department had "recommended me for admission", and that my application had been passed on to the graduate school for final review.

Problem is, I received that email nearly 2 weeks ago. I've met all minimum GPA requirements, so there shouldn't be any hiccups.

Anyone else on the same boat? Anyone hear back from the graduate office yet?

On 2/12/2017 at 6:12 AM, GeorgeC07 said:

Hi guys, so good to see other NE applicants. I've also posted the results in the results sections as I heard from them. A similar email from UCB, too. I was rather confused by that, but now that you guys mentioned it, I think it's only a spamming email.  On the other way, it seems that many NE programs are rather late in making their decisions compared to previous years. Then again, I don't know what to expect from them and I'm pretty sure it'll be hard for me to get into top schools. Hang in there.

I think so too. At the beginning it sounded personalised but then it started to feel generic. " I wanted to reach out to you to let you know that we were very impressed with your application, particularly your unusually strong communication skills, initiative and evidence of a strong "big-picture" orientation to nuclear power, including societal issues." I bet everyone got that, didn't they?

On 2/14/2017 at 0:10 AM, babbit said:

Hi all,

I received an email from UW Madison notifying me that the NEEP department had "recommended me for admission", and that my application had been passed on to the graduate school for final review.

Problem is, I received that email nearly 2 weeks ago. I've met all minimum GPA requirements, so there shouldn't be any hiccups.

Anyone else on the same boat? Anyone hear back from the graduate office yet?

Congratulations! Two weeks is certainly a bit too long, but as you said, there really shouldn't be any hiccups at all. Maybe wait for another week and email them?

10 hours ago, GeorgeC07 said:

Hi guys, do you have news on the apps?    Seems MIT has just started sending out admissions.

Oh boy. I just saw that. Haven't heard a word. No interview either. I am expecting the worst.

12 minutes ago, lordofnumpties said:

@GeorgeC07 I just noticed your two admits. Congratulations! Mind sharing where you got in and a little bit about your profile? I think we should all have it here in one place. That will be more convenient for us lot and for any future NE applicants.

I've got an offer from NCSU and an admission from UTK(contacted a professor and got positive response, so funding should not be a problem).  I'm thinking that I'll post my results and my profiles in a summarizing thread after I got all the results. 

Also nothing from MIT, but I already anticipated the worst from MIT, UCB and UT Austin. Just wait then.

Hi guys, any news?    

My friend at MIT NE told me that they would send a letter and that I should wait for a few days. But the posts in the results section show that those admitted are contacted through emails. Well, there's nothing I can do except waiting right? 

I also emailed TAMU a couple of weeks ago about the dates, and they said they would make the bulk of the decisions by the end of this month. So I figure that's about the timeline for most NE programs, and next week's gonna be exciting. Good luck guys, hope we can meet on a NE conference someday.

@lordofnumpties Thanks! I heard back form UW Madison a few days ago, officially admitted. Although they seem to be stingy in offering funding :/ I think the department is similar to Georgia Tech, where a considerable number of admitted students pay out-of-pocket for the first semester at least. Not something I am interested in.

@GeorgeC07 Congrats on the offers! I received an email saying I have been accepted to MIT, although at the same time as all the other people posting on the results section. There is an NSE grad visit weekend March 17. Therefore, if you don't receive news by around early March, its safe to say you are on the waiting list.

Best of luck to everyone!

PS. I agree with GeorgeC07. I have been posting my admit results with no GPA/GRE info. I am paranoid of being identified by grad schools! However, once I get all my results/make a decision, I will publish all my info in a summary thread for future generations of would-be nuclear engineers to look at.

@babbit Congrats on admission to MIT. 

I also applied to Georgia Tech, and received an email that everybody received so I don't anticipate much from them. Now I only check my emails after waking up in my bed due to the time difference. Instead of wondering when the results are gonna come, I'm more into imagining where I would be later this year, which takes my mind off. Not sure what I feel about being on the waiting list, since who would pass the chance to MIT, eh? Anyway, we can maybe add each others on facebook after the big decision, it's so good to communicate with peers in the same field.

Good luck!

@babbit that's great news! You're rolling in it! So that's a PhD admit for MIT, isn't it?

@GeorgeC07 what email is that? I didn't get anything from GaTech. :'( I'd like to stay in touch too, once the dust settles.

The funding situation seems terrible this year. Everyone seems to be struggling with getting a nice deal, myself included.

@lordofnumptiesIt's an email from Dr. Whiteman at Gatech that says my materials are on an internal website for the faculty members to review. Since the nuclear engineering program is under the department of ME, this email is also sent to other applicants not to NE. My friend who's applying to ME also got that. 

The content was quite confusing so I asked Dr. Whiteman what it meant, and he replied if one of the faculty members offers me GRA opportunity, I will be admitted. My guess is that they have already assigned TA and leave the decision of RA to the professors. After that, nothing from them. And judging from what @babbit said, their funding opportunities wouldn't be good, so I wouldn't anticipate much from Gatech. Their NE program is relatively small and they have fewer students than most institutes and universities, hence limited openings compared to other programs.

Okay I got to admit that my chance of getting into MIT is pretty low now. They recruit like 20 graduate students every year and that includes masters. Judging from the results posted in the survey, I'd say they've made most of their decisions by now. Gotta move on to anxiously waiting for another school then.

On 22.2.2017 at 7:10 AM, GeorgeC07 said:

Okay I got to admit that my chance of getting into MIT is pretty low now. They recruit like 20 graduate students every year and that includes masters. Judging from the results posted in the survey, I'd say they've made most of their decisions by now. Gotta move on to anxiously waiting for another school then.

There there.

In all seriousness, they're so unpredictable. This waiting game is driving me nuts. I don't know why this year is taking longer. It feels like there are more applicants this year.

Edited by lordofnumpties

15 hours ago, lordofnumpties said:

There there.

In all seriousness, they're so unpredictable. This waiting game is driving me nuts. I don't know why this year is taking longer. It feels like there are more applicants this year.

I've got to the point where I don't really care anymore. I'm just now letting it be. The results will come. 

Okay guys, got an email from PSU today, offering me an offer with one year of half-time TA.  One terrible thing happening to me is that my master's degree supervisor wants me to delay my graduation, and if that does happen, I might not be able to enroll in the 2017 fall term. I don't think I'll be able to forget someone who ruins my dream. 

Has anyone gotten any reply from Michigan? It seems from previous years that they tend to take longer than other schools.

I got accepted into UIUC late last month with a 9-month assistantship. Just wanna ask if I had to choose between the 2, which should I go for? I'll probably go into nuclear reactor simulations, safety analysis etc. instead of fusion.

4 minutes ago, KRSG said:

Has anyone gotten any reply from Michigan? It seems from previous years that they tend to take longer than other schools.

I got accepted into UIUC late last month with a 9-month assistantship. Just wanna ask if I had to choose between the 2, which should I go for? I'll probably go into nuclear reactor simulations, safety analysis etc. instead of fusion.

Congrats! I'd say Michigan. I had an interview with them. I also spoke with two uiuc npre students. The things they told me about the department and their admin... I was like "nope, not going here".

When did you submit your UIUC application? Did you get into their MS or PhD programme?

Edited by lordofnumpties