MDiv: BU or Harvard?

phoenixlex

I'm looking for some advice in making a decision as to which program I should attend for my MDiv (HELP):

I've applied to MDiv programs for this coming fall and have just been admitted to BU's MDiv program with the opportunity to interview for a full merit scholarship (currently offered 70% tuition). I am still waiting on an admissions decision from Harvard and Yale. I currently live in the Brighton/Allston area and would prefer to stay in Boston because I'd like to stay near my church and boyfriend.

In a school, I'm looking for a liberal, ecumenical environment with good faculty access and opportunities to explore different types of ministry with rigorous academics. I was a classics major in undergrad and am looking into hospital/university chaplaincy as well as possibly interfaith work (the pluralism project at Harvard peaks my interest). I really liked BU's community when I visited and the admissions office was so nice during the application season. I got a good sense of what their culture is like, but am seeing that the classes available aren't as varied as Harvard's are. I feel like I will most likely receive more funding from BU than Harvard (if admitted). It would be very difficult to turn down full funding from BU but at the same time it would be really hard to turn down Harvard with all of it's resources and breath of classes I could take within the div school and other Harvard schools as well as the alumni network/name recognition etc. Plus, I feel like Harvard is a higher regarded program, but am unsure (partially why I'm reaching out for advice)...

In short, I'm wondering which school has a better reputation and/or resources? Does the rank of the school that you attend for your mdiv matter in the job market? 

Thanks for any advice you might have for me!

I'm just wondering if Harvard is worth the potential debt (whatever amount) and also if it's going to be a small fish big pond environment where at BU I would think I would be a bigger fish in a smaller pond...

16 minutes ago, phoenixlex said:

I'm just wondering if Harvard is worth the potential debt (whatever amount) and also if it's going to be a small fish big pond environment where at BU I would think I would be a bigger fish in a smaller pond...

HDS funding is typically very generous. What until you get both offers but remember you take classes at HDS from BU and BU from HDS. 

3 hours ago, phoenixlex said:

I went to HDS, so I may be biased--OK, I certainly am--but, I can't more strongly recommend HDS to you. It will open many doors for you. Funding is usually at least 50%, if not more. Given the choice between 50% at HDS and 75% at BU, I'd pick HDS in a heartbeat.

Also, I didn't feel like a small fish in a big pond at Harvard. Rather, one is a pampered big fish... Really, it opens up a lot of doors.

11 hours ago, Averroes MD said:

I went to HDS, so I may be biased--OK, I certainly am--but, I can't more strongly recommend HDS to you. It will open many doors for you. Funding is usually at least 50%, if not more. Given the choice between 50% at HDS and 75% at BU, I'd pick HDS in a heartbeat.

Also, I didn't feel like a small fish in a big pond at Harvard. Rather, one is a pampered big fish... Really, it opens up a lot of doors.

I second that motion. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2017 at 7:30 AM, Rabbit Run said:

However, BU is a great school and your mascot will be the "Boston Terriers." I think this is an important consideration.

Are you really OK with being labeled a Terrierist?

(Another vote for HDS from an alumnus)