Can Someone Help Me To Validate This

yizoy

1.I didn't finish the online application, no recommendation letter sent

2.I didn't submit the online application

3.I applied to MS in Statistics but Arts & Sciences replied

4.I sent my GRE score and registered as an applicant

Despite above 3 suspicions, I got an offer from George Washington U. I had planned to apply to it as a back-up, but I changed my mind later and applied to another "back-up". So I won't be going but I'm just curious to know if this is a legit offer.

Here is the "offer":

Hi xxx,

Congratulations! A celebration is in order as your hard work has earned you a place within the George Washington University Columbian College of Arts & Sciences. Housed in a city unlike any other, as a graduate student at GW, you will gain an education unlike any other. The whole city is your classroom, and our graduate students emerge with not only a degree, but with experiences that could only happen here. As a graduate student at Columbian College, you will be part of a thriving community of scholars. Access to leading educators and thinkers, state-of-the-art facilities and vast educational resources help our students on their journey to becoming leaders and innovators in their communities—and across the world.

We look forward to you accepting our offer of admission and joining a diverse group of 14,000+ graduate students, from all 50 states, Washington, DC, and 130 countries. We look forward to seeing you on campus!

Sincerely, 

xxxxx
Director of Graduate Studies and Student Services 

Edited by yizoy

I did a quick lookup on the George Washington U page, and the Statistics program is within the College of Arts & Science, so that part is not odd. It is weird that you received this email, but to me it doesn't look like an offer, more like an email sent after an offer. It doesn't list the program you applied for (or in this case didn't apply for) so it might just be some automated email. Did the email come from the same address or was it via third party automated email system? That's a good way to confirm if it's automated or not. 

If you don't plan on going anyway, it doesn't matter if it's an offer or not. I would probably respond with something explaining that you didn't actually apply/finish your application nor receive an offer of admission from the program and that you won't be attending (so that way you don't keep getting their emails).