SJSU MSW

AutumnSweater

I turned in my MA application to the anthro department pretty close to the final deadline, but I was given notice of acceptance within a week. I know others who received acceptance within a day or two, but all of us actually did our undergrad with the department so they knew our work ethic and previous academic history (I did take a 3 year break between undergrad and grad though). The social work side might be completely different since it's a different department. When was/is the application due date? 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!!

how lucky you didn't have to endlessly wait for a decision! 

I also did my undergrad studies there. 

Deadline was February 1st. And supposedly the department would start making decisions the second week of February. 

When I check online, my sjsu states that my app has been referred to graduate department. 

I hope so, I need an answer. Good or bad (I wish it'd be good!) but this waiting is killing me because I cannot make any plans.

looks like there's no one else here applying to SJSU... I wonder if there's another forum out there with more people commenting...

• 2 weeks later...

Hello SmileyPita!!

yes, I did my BA in psychology there. Where did you study?

i haven't applied for any other school. That was a mistake of mine, because I was overconfident.

i don't know the rate of admissions but I read some threads from previous years and said something like 500 applied for 100 vacancies at campus and 50 online. Now, this is a pretty scary number, but I cross my fingers.

itsnice to hear from you!!

Edited by AutumnSweater
Mispelling

14 hours ago, SmileyPita said:

Hahaha we are all the same, in fact I'm from Mexico I studied here. So... Waiting

Also the bad thing is that they let know everyone at the same time if rejected or accepted.

Lets keep being positive!!! 

I think they have rolling acceptance, that means they have a short list and depending who accepts to get into the program and who doesnt, they call the next on the list. 

I was reading a thread of 2014 and they keep calling until mid April. That means one more month. 

Agreed, let's keep being positive ;)

hi Namaste and SmileyPita,

This waiting is really nerve racking.

I'm wondering if they release decisions to those who weren't admitted or we have to figure it out by ourselves if no one contacted us for admission.

this is something that worries me, as I've read in this forum some people were still waiting for a decision on May and no one communicated they were not admitted. I mean, until when it is safe to wait with hope?

Thanks for starting this thread!

I'm in agony waiting too! I applied right on the deadline. I applied for the in-person part-time program. How about you all?

I also applied to CSU Monterey Bay and UC Berkeley. Berkeley gave a specific date... Tomorrow 3/15. And like you said, Autumn Summer, not being able to plan is hard.

I really wanna know all of them already!!!! Good luck to all of us!

11 hours ago, meltoid said:

Thanks for starting this thread!

I'm in agony waiting too! I applied right on the deadline. I applied for the in-person part-time program. How about you all?

I also applied to CSU Monterey Bay and UC Berkeley. Berkeley gave a specific date... Tomorrow 3/15. And like you said, Autumn Summer, not being able to plan is hard.

I really wanna know all of them already!!!! Good luck to all of us!

Hello Meltoid and all!!

I applied mid January for the online part time program. 

I only applied to SJSU because it was just the right fit, since I'm not able to move to other cities and the other choices available for me were private institutions that cost more than double than SJSU. I'm crossing fingers and waiting for the best but at this point I'm also thinking on a plan B.

I'm glad Berkeley gave you a date. That's today!! Please let us know how they went :) It makes a lot of sense and I think other universities should also give a due date for decision making.

i think the fact that San Jose has rolling admissions make things a little more complicated. 

Autumn 

Hey all! 

I am still waiting for SJSU as well! I finally caved in and made an account for this. Does anyone know when the Decision to commit is for SJSU? It seems like they take a rather long time to let folks know. 

Anyone else apply to Portland State? I was accepted into the University of Washington, rejected from Berkeley, and waiting on these last two. 

Good luck everyone! 

Hello TBMSW2017,

welcome to this thread! And congratulations on your admission to U. Of Washington.

I'm still waiting as well. I've read on a thread from 2016 that people were still waiting for decisions on May of that year. 

Since SJSU have Rolling acceptance, we can hear from them anytime from now until June. 

@AutumnSweater wow such a long time! Im going to call every so often. I am more than sure they are aware that applicants are applying to other schools with more fixed deadlines so there has to be a way around this extended decision time frame. 

6 hours ago, TBMSW2017 said:

@AutumnSweater wow such a long time! Im going to call every so often. I am more than sure they are aware that applicants are applying to other schools with more fixed deadlines so there has to be a way around this extended decision time frame. 

Yes, it's almost ridiculous. Almost all other cal state universities had already communicated their decisions. 

Not knowing just makes me unable to plan anything at this point. 

You said you're going to call them on the phone? If yes, please let us know what they say

Edited by AutumnSweater