SJSU MSW

AutumnSweater

2 hours ago, TBMSW2017 said:

@AutumnSweater no news from me! I'm concerned because if we hear back in April, who knows when we will receive financial aids packages. I feel like this program is all over the place lol

I can't speak for graduate school at sjsu, but I got my BA there and they're pretty disorganized. 

Have you filled out your Fafsa yet? There should be no problem with that...

Edited by AutumnSweater

Hey there!

I'm still waiting as well, but I think getting accepted is unlikely for me because I am missing the last recommender.  I had someone who said they would write it but they ended up not doing so. So at the last minute I tried to have someone else do it but they ended up not doing it either. So I got stuck in a way. 

I only applied to SJSU and Sacramento State (where I currently attend for my BA in Psychology). I found out yesterday that I didn't get accepted to Sac State, which really upset me because I had heard that my chances were pretty good.

I have 3.2 GPA, have worked at an afterschool program for 3 1/2 years, have had an internship with a crisis residential program, an internship with the local food bank and family services, and have a bit of volunteer work involving many different things.

SJSU probably would have been my top anyway, but if I don't get in I don't know what I will do. 

How do you deal with rejection and this waiting?

Hi Ashley!! Welcome to this thread :)

I'm sorry about Sacramento. Rejection hurts.

I only applied to San Jose, so I'm not dealing with any rejection just yet :/ 

Regarding the letters of recommendation, I'm sorry you couldn't find a third recommender. Let's cross fingers that will not be a motive of rejection. You have a strong background on SW, I've heard that's the most important thing to get in the program. 

Edited by AutumnSweater

@Ashleyep95 Hey Ashley! Im sorry to hear about the rejection from Sac State. I know you will find a great fit school for social work, perhaps it just wasnt meant to be. Have you considered any other schools that may have rolling admissions deadlines? I would encourage you to look at some more of the CSU's, I know some of them may have later deadlines, and it might not be too late! Rejections are hard - I was rejected from UC Berkeley and that was one of my top choices, but im feeling good about it now. My situation is a little different because I applied to many schools, so this is why I encourage you to apply to more schools, if this is possible or perhaps strengthen your application for next spring? 

@AutumnSweater I did complete the FAFSA! I am just waiting to hear from them, but I extended some of my other schools deadlines of intent to register for the sake of hearing back from SJSU. So I hope to hear back by the end of this week. Good luck to you! 

Happy Friday everyone, another week has passed and that means we're close to hear from sjsu (I hope)

I've called admissions but they couldn't give me much info except that my application was referred to graduate department. 

If you have any news, or as just as anxious as me ;) please post here.

38 minutes ago, SmileyPita said:

Hello, another week.... someone has some news???

Hello smileypita! :) 

no news ugh however I read on another thread someone got an interview or was waiting for an interview.  Which is weird as I don't think San Jose state does interview the candidates before decision. 

Good morning almost afternoon :)

I am so happy I came across this page as I am very very anxious about hearing bad from SJSU as well. I didn't think it was going to take this long and I too just applied to SJSU so I am hoping that I get accepted :(

I had a "To Do" item that I completed 2 weeks ago and I was hoping that after that they would send something...but nothing so far. I read somewhere else that people started getting a response mid April. Sooo I'm hoping we will know soon...so far I have no plan B.  

Hey all! Glad I finally found a thread discussing SJSU. This wait is anxiety-provoking. I really hope to hear back soon since SJSU is a top choice and I need to respond to other schools.

To clarify, I came across the same comment as AutumnSweater regarding SJSU interviews. It was referring to SJSU's interviews for Title IV, not for admission.

Hi Everyone! I received a call today that I was accepted into the MSW program for fall 2017! I gladly excepted! I have my fingers crossed for all of you. Best of luck, sending positive vibes your way. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you. 

12 hours ago, AutumnSweater said:

Dogz9: Thanks for the clarification about the interview! That makes more sense :)

welcome to this thread!

Hi everyone! 

Yes, I'm still waiting for an answer well. I applied to the title-ix and haven't heard anything either. Anyone else apply and haven't heard? Do you all think I should call? 

Also, for those who have heard from San Jose state has your SJSU portal been updated??

thank you! 

Edited by a_then_a

4 hours ago, Namaste said:

Hi Everyone! I received a call today that I was accepted into the MSW program for fall 2017! I gladly excepted! I have my fingers crossed for all of you. Best of luck, sending positive vibes your way. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you. 

Namaste, congratulations!!! 

Which program did you apply? Online or on campus?

54 minutes ago, a_then_a said:

Hi everyone! 

Yes, I'm still waiting for an answer well. I applied to the title-ix and haven't heard anything either. Anyone else apply and haven't heard? Do you all think I should call? 

Also, for those who have heard from San Jose state has your SJSU portal been updated??

thank you! 

Athena,

you could make a call if you think that will make you feel less anxious. I think they've already started to call/email so it's a matter of days, hopefully. 

19 hours ago, a_then_a said:

Hi everyone! 

thank you! 

Hi a_then_a

Yes, my SJSU portal was updated to "Accepted- Classified Graduate" and I was also sent an email to fill out some required documents. Good luck!

Hi! I have been stalking this thread so I wanted to post when I got news. I got accepted to the two year on site program. My portal changed Thursday evening but I didn't get a new message in the portal until last night. I have not received an email or anything in the post. 

The same day my portal changed I had written the school an email requesting info. Don't know if it was a coincidence or not. My friend got into the online program a week and a half ago. Her portal changed then she got an email. Dr. Lee just called her to confirm a couple of days ago. I wish everyone the best of luck. Thank you to AutumnSweater for starting this thread and being so nice!

11 hours ago, Clementine75 said:

Hi! I have been stalking this thread so I wanted to post when I got news. I got accepted to the two year on site program. My portal changed Thursday evening but I didn't get a new message in the portal until last night. I have not received an email or anything in the post. 

The same day my portal changed I had written the school an email requesting info. Don't know if it was a coincidence or not. My friend got into the online program a week and a half ago. Her portal changed then she got an email. Dr. Lee just called her to confirm a couple of days ago. I wish everyone the best of luck. Thank you to AutumnSweater for starting this thread and being so nice!

Congratulations Clementine!!! I'm really happy for you :) thank you so much for the updates! That means they've also started calling for the online program!

crossing fingers for everyone else waiting for news, including me! ;) 

On 4/16/2017 at 0:04 PM, Clementine75 said:

Hello and congratulations Clementine!!!! How did your portal changed? Good luck to everyone and congrats to all of you that already got accepted!!!

Congrats to all of y'all that have gotten accepted! That's so exciting!!!! Can it be that they are letting the 2 year programs know first then the part time? I would hope so, because another week has passed and nothing :(

On 4/16/2017 at 10:04 AM, Clementine75 said:

Hi Clementine75!

Congrats!! I am pretty sure we will be classmates! I am in the children and families program. How about you??

I'm so sorry for not responding! I thought I'd get an email if someone mentioned me--oops!

Namaste-I'm in the mental health section. I look forward to meeting you!!!

jennuinne27- I just got the call from Dr. Lee yesterday and he said they still have to secure people who were accepted before going through the waiting list. I haven't heard anything at all about the three year part time program. 

AutumnSweater-yes! And I wish you the best of luck!

i hope to meet all of you soon. By the way, Dr Lee called to offer me the position after I had already accepted through the school and signed up for orientation. So I don't think it's a bad idea to check in :)

take care:)