Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Roxxx

NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

697 posts in this topic

Y'all know how this works. 

My real name is Roxanne May and I'm a nearly graduated M.S.W. student from the two-year program at U of T. Feel free to add me on Facebook, LinkedIN or message me directly if you have any questions.

Edited by Roxxx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for starting this thread Roxanne. I applied to U of T for next fall and am really hoping to get in. I was wait listed last year sadly. I also applied to U waterloo's 1 year BSW program (then I would just need a 1 year MSW). I already have some graduate school under my belt and would like to get into policy and planning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Roxanne. I also applied for next year and hoping to get in to UofT's two year program, as well as WLU's two year program!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, tnt92 said:

Hi Roxanne. I also applied for next year and hoping to get in to UofT's two year program, as well as WLU's two year program!

I've also applied to those programs! Hopefully we'll be classmates!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! I've been following these threads for the past few application cycles, but this is my first time posting this year. I have applied for the 1-year programs at UofT, Laurier, Western, and Waterloo. I'm currently working at a mental health agency in the area of family education/support but hoping to eventually move my way into clinical practice with individuals :). Last year I graduated from Lakehead's 1-year HBSW program - so if anyone has any questions feel free to message me!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sososocialwork said:

Thanks for starting this thread Roxanne. I applied to U of T for next fall and am really hoping to get in. I was wait listed last year sadly. I also applied to U waterloo's 1 year BSW program (then I would just need a 1 year MSW). I already have some graduate school under my belt and would like to get into policy and planning. 

I really wish I had thought of applying to the 1 year BSW as well. I've heard a couple of people mention it and it's an awesome idea to be able to keep moving on should this round of MSW acceptances not be our friend!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for starting a new thread Roxxx!  Hopefully this one will be kept honest and free of trolling.

I'm waiting to hear back from York Advanced standing and from Ryerson.  I'm finding the waiting process is intense and can really play a number on my head.  I'm working on taking a deep breath and thinking of a plan B if I don't make it in this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Roxxx! I am waiting to hear back from Carleton, U of T and Laurier for the 2 year program. I have been working as an addiction counsellor for three years. I also have research experience with the government on mental health programs for police officers. I have a few volunteer roles too.

I am hoping to stay local and get into Carleton. Fingers crossed. I know last year everyone found out on February 11th for both advanced standing and 2 year programs so it should be any day now. I know that Carleton got hacked in December so that may slow things down a bit. Only time will tell !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Roxxx said:

Y'all know how this works. 

My real name is Roxanne May and I'm a nearly graduated M.S.W. student from the two-year program at U of T. Feel free to add me on Facebook, LinkedIN or message me directly if you have any questions.

Hi! Can you tell me when you heard back from UofT? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gradschool2017 said:

Anyone applying to the post grad one year bsw program at York? Haven't seen many people bring it up

I wasn't aware that they had one!! Thank you for mentioning it, as I have been trying to think of alternatives if not admitted to an MSW. Do you know how long it takes to complete as a post-graduate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tnt92 said:

I wasn't aware that they had one!! Thank you for mentioning it, as I have been trying to think of alternatives if not admitted to an MSW. Do you know how long it takes to complete as a post-graduate?

Deadline for the application fee was the 2nd of feb I believe. Supplementary forms and references due the 22nd. It's one year. And then all you need to do is a one year msw 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, lovelife905 said:

Hi! Can you tell me when you heard back from UofT? 

U of T first displayed my acceptance in my ACORN/ROSI account on April 1st, 2015. :P

I think (but am not positive) that there was one more round of acceptances after my cohort, and then it was onto the waitlist notifications. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you know if students can submit their thesis in French at UofT? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have applied to my current university. I am still waiting for the answer, but my teacher has already offered me a part-time job for my entire studies at the master's level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for starting up this thread again! I applied to the 2 year MSW program at UofT (waitlisted last year), as well as the MEd in Counselling & Psychotherapy at OISE. 

Interests include: LGBTQ+ mental health, gender therapy, addiction counselling, relapse prevention, acceptance & commitment therapy, mindfulness :)

Good luck to everyone. Hoping to see this thread super active in the coming weeks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

So glad this thread was restarted-thank you Roxx!  I was so disappointed when the last thread was locked but am really grateful to see a new one was started up so quickly.  I've applied only to U Windsors advanced standing program, which starts in May.  Some have already received positive and negative decisions on their file but mine still shows as in process. Anyone else applied to or heard back from Windsors advanced standing program?  Will explore other options if I don't get in but really hoping for a positive decision soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SO grateful another thread has been started, thank you Roxanne. 

I've applied to Windsor, Laurier, UofT and Waterloo for the advanced standing MSW. 

I was waitlisted a couple of years ago for the two year program. Since then I've completed the HBSW at Lakehead, and a graduate certificate in Youth Justice at Durham College. 

I'm feeling very discouraged this application cycle as I wasn't in the right head space when I wrote my applications. Once again, I'm very grateful to not have to experience this stress alone. 

Good luck everyone! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaylynn said:

SO grateful another thread has been started, thank you Roxanne. 

I've applied to Windsor, Laurier, UofT and Waterloo for the advanced standing MSW. 

I was waitlisted a couple of years ago for the two year program. Since then I've completed the HBSW at Lakehead, and a graduate certificate in Youth Justice at Durham College. 

I'm feeling very discouraged this application cycle as I wasn't in the right head space when I wrote my applications. Once again, I'm very grateful to not have to experience this stress alone. 

Good luck everyone! :) 

if you don't mind me asking what was your average when you were waitlisted for the two year program?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Roxxx said:

U of T first displayed my acceptance in my ACORN/ROSI account on April 1st, 2015. :P

I think (but am not positive) that there was one more round of acceptances after my cohort, and then it was onto the waitlist notifications. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone have any idea how competitive each of the streams at UofT? I applied for Children and Families and later learned it's one of the more popular choices and now I'm scared lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, lovelife905 said:

Does anyone have any idea how competitive each of the streams at UofT? I applied for Children and Families and later learned it's one of the more popular choices and now I'm scared lol. 

I think the Mental Health stream might be the most competitive at U of T based on past forum creeping lol :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaylynn said:

SO grateful another thread has been started, thank you Roxanne. 

I've applied to Windsor, Laurier, UofT and Waterloo for the advanced standing MSW. 

I was waitlisted a couple of years ago for the two year program. Since then I've completed the HBSW at Lakehead, and a graduate certificate in Youth Justice at Durham College. 

I'm feeling very discouraged this application cycle as I wasn't in the right head space when I wrote my applications. Once again, I'm very grateful to not have to experience this stress alone. 

Good luck everyone! :) 

Hey Jaylynn-have you heard from any of your schools yet? Any program you're leaning towards? Unfortunately I put all my eggs in one basket and just applied to Windsors advanced standing program.  Windsor originally said applicants would know by January and in subsequent communication with them, they told me we'd know "early February."  Praying for some positive decisions asap :) best of luck to you 🌺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Adelaide9216 said:

Do you know if students can submit their thesis in French at UofT? 

Hello! If you mean an MSW thesis, U of T doesn't have theses as a mandatory component of the degree. I think that there are like 2 or 3 students of the 140 accepted that successfully get funded for a thesis, everyone else does class based/assignment based work. Unfortunately I haven't heard of any students who have been able to hand in assignments in french, I imagine this wouldn't be an option as most professors aren't fluent in french and they have to do the marking for their designated sections. However, I think it would be worth messaging admissions about this in case there are accommodations that can be made!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lovelife905 said:

Hi! Can you tell me when you heard back from UofT? 

(I know you didn't ask me but..) I got in mid March of 2015, I think that's when admissions started rolling out that year for the 2 year program, and as Roxxx said there were several more cycles over the course of several months.

 

32 minutes ago, lovelife905 said:

Does anyone have any idea how competitive each of the streams at UofT? I applied for Children and Families and later learned it's one of the more popular choices and now I'm scared lol. 

Children and Families is second most popular to Mental Health and Health, I'm not sure what the exact breakdown is but Mental Health and Health definitely has the highest popularity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now