NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

1 hour ago, Ed07ti said:

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted. Can you share your past experiences and grades?

I was waitlisted last year at u of t and I am sort of confused as to why this keeps happening to me. I asked Angela last year for feedback but they are always reluctant to help.

Grades in the last two years: 2 A+, 2 A-, 2 A, B+, B . I got an A- in research methods and an A in statistics. I did not do an honours thesis but happened to get amazing research experience over the past 5 years (graduated with a degree in Criminology with focus in Psychology).

1000 hours working doing research on mental health in the government. 3000 hours as a full time addictions counsellor at a residential youth treatment facility. 800 hours working on a research project at the same residential facility. 160 hours worth of volunteer - fundraising for treatment centre, support worker for women in the process of going through the court system and I facilitated an art program for youth

I hope this helps! Any questions, let me know! Sending positive vibes your way

Congrats to those who got offers!

Just wondering if anyone has called Angela at UofT to ask about other rounds of acceptances?

Also, has anyone heard from Laurier or Windsor, their systems of emaling results has me worried that things are going to junk!

Hey guys.... don't be discouraged. As I mentioned a while ago in February I was on the waitlist and found out that I got in in June. You will be accepted if it is meant to be! Don't give up hope. There are many, many rounds of admissions.

2 minutes ago, emmaleigh said:

Hey guys.... don't be discouraged. As I mentioned a while ago in February I was on the waitlist and found out that I got in in June. You will be accepted if it is meant to be! Don't give up hope. There are many, many rounds of admissions.

I am just finishing my first year of the two year MSW (class of 2018)

Hey everyone! I've been following this feed and checked my ACORN account. it says "invited" as well but does this mean I was accepted?! I emailed Angela just now to confirm...I'm very skeptical because of how many people I know were wait listed or denied admission....I'm really freaking out here!!!

Thanks!

Just posting some clarification here, and sorry for the slow responses- most of the moderation team is currently traveling, and moderating via cell phone isn't the easiest. 

We don't screen for veracity of claims. Nor do we penalize people for calling out bad information, or information as suspect. 

That said, there's a fine line between calling out information as bad, and calling out a user as a troll. Stick to the information, don't target the user. Similarly, there are lines that have been crossed in the past wherein current bad posts cause past non-objectionable posts to be down voted in multitudes. 

I will also mention that we take people posting from multiple accounts very seriously, and is usually results in banning of one account along with suspension of the other account. That said, it is especially difficult to tell when people are positing on multiple accounts- many people here post from universities, and have the same IP address. Basing suspensions and bans on IP address is a really bad thing, as there are several of you here who share an IP address with MSW2MD- banning that IP address would indirectly ban you. 

We are honestly doing our best to keep up with this, and we really appreciate how hard all of you are working to ignore and report rather than responding. 

8 hours ago, MSW-hopeful-2016 said:

does anyone want to start up a facebook group for uoft (or is it too early lol)

just so we can communicate through there if needed. 

There is a Facebook group (u of t fifsw msw class of 2018).  It has already been established though and there are current students on it (I guess from 2 year program that started 2016).  If you hear of any others, can you please share?  Thanks so much!!!! :D

Congratulations to all those who received word of their acceptances today. I'm glad the ACORN log in worked for you. 

For all those waiting to here back, I wish you all the best and I hope that, either way...you hear back soon. 

2 hours ago, YYCtoUofT said:

Hey everyone! I've been following this feed and checked my ACORN account. it says "invited" as well but does this mean I was accepted?! I emailed Angela just now to confirm...I'm very skeptical because of how many people I know were wait listed or denied admission....I'm really freaking out here!!!

Thanks!

I received my acceptance in February (for the advanced standing program) and it said "invited" before I got my letter in the mail.  I do believe that it almost always means you have been accepted.  Congratulations.  Way to start the weekend :D.  Btw, I was also very skeptical until I received my package in the mail.  It's coming though.

Edited by KarebearSW

2 minutes ago, KarebearSW said:

I received my acceptance in February (for the advanced standing program) and it said "invited" before I got my letter in the mail.  I do believe that it almost always means you have been accepted.  Congratulations.  Way to start the weekend :D

I'm not doubting anything you've just stated! :D But I keep pinching myself - and telling myself to wait for the letter in the mail before I start celebrating. How long from when it switched over to you getting your letter in mail?

10 minutes ago, Bev_TO said:

I'm not doubting anything you've just stated! :D But I keep pinching myself - and telling myself to wait for the letter in the mail before I start celebrating. How long from when it switched over to you getting your letter in mail?

Aww....I know exactly how you feel. I couldn't even allow myself to get too excited when I saw the "invited" status, even though many people on here said it was good news.  And, I only told my husband, kids and best friend....until I received my package.  It took a week to arrive....and it was an agonizing week.  lol.  Hold tight and be excited....good mail is coming :D.  Congrats again!!!  Make sure you let us know when it arrives!!!

28 minutes ago, KarebearSW said:

I received my acceptance in February (for the advanced standing program) and it said "invited" before I got my letter in the mail.  I do believe that it almost always means you have been accepted.  Congratulations.  Way to start the weekend :D.  Btw, I was also very skeptical until I received my package in the mail.  It's coming though.

Oh my god....this is INCREDIBLE! :D Thank you sooooooooo much. I really hope this isn't some sort of fluke. I'm definitely going to hold off on telling people until I get the package in the mail. 

26 minutes ago, Bev_TO said:

Me too!! I'm definitely holding off on celebrating because I'd hate to be excited and then they say it's not true...BUT if it is, congrats to both of us and everyone who's been accepted to their programs!!! Do let us know when you get the letter! I will for sure do the same :)

Hi all! Congrats to those who got in!

I was wondering if anyone had some insight on the Combined JD/MSW program at UofT. From my initial impression, the application process for each were completely independent from each other. I recently received a rejection from UofT Law and have not seen any updates on ACORN for the MSW. Does anyone know if the Law rejection will negatively affect my MSW? Becoming a social worker is definitely my passion (I did the combined program because I thought it would be useful for working in policy later) and I almost want to email someone to reiterate my interest in the MSW on its own.

Also, I read somewhere the order is rejections then admissions - so is it true no news is good news?

Thanks for any help!

4 hours ago, canadianmsw329 said:

Hi all! Congrats to those who got in!

I was wondering if anyone had some insight on the Combined JD/MSW program at UofT. From my initial impression, the application process for each were completely independent from each other. I recently received a rejection from UofT Law and have not seen any updates on ACORN for the MSW. Does anyone know if the Law rejection will negatively affect my MSW? Becoming a social worker is definitely my passion (I did the combined program because I thought it would be useful for working in policy later) and I almost want to email someone to reiterate my interest in the MSW on its own.

Also, I read somewhere the order is rejections then admissions - so is it true no news is good news?

Thanks for any help!

I would also like to know if no news is good news. How true is this?

9 hours ago, emmaleigh said:

I am just finishing my first year of the two year MSW (class of 2018)

Could you let us know more about what your experience was like? What was your undergrad program and how did you find the transition from it and going into social work? Thank you!

Awwww!! Everyone  has perfect  grades and tons of professional experience, no wondering I was rejected by U of T again this year :(  I feel that I will never get into MSW program in Canada ......Anyone here applied to schools in other countries? :(

Edited by lindaMSW

Hi all,

I'm currently finishing up the 2nd year of the 2 year program at U of T and will be graduating in June. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them!

1 minute ago, UofT2015 said:

Hi all,

I'm currently finishing up the 2nd year of the 2 year program at U of T and will be graduating in June. Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll do my best to answer them!

Hey @UofT2015! Did you/most of your classmates have a significant amount of research experience before you got accepted at UofT? Thanks! 

28 minutes ago, riaveda said:

Hey @UofT2015! Did you/most of your classmates have a significant amount of research experience before you got accepted at UofT? Thanks! 

I had about a year of experience but most people I know didn't unless they completed a thesis for their bachelors

1 hour ago, lindaMSW said:

Awwww!! Everyone  has perfect  grades and tons of professional experience, no wondering I was rejected by U of T again this year :(  I feel that I will never get into MSW program in Canada ......Anyone here applied to schools in other countries? :(

Hi there. I felt the exact same way, so I was very surprised that my acorn status says invited. It does seem like a lot of people that get into the program have very competitive grades/experiences. However, I believe that with determination, devotion and passion, anyone that meets the bare minimum admission requirements can get in.  

I personally had quite mediocore grades myself. Last year gpa 76.5% and cgpa about a 3.2 (my half credit research methods course grade was 89%). I had about 1000 hours of direct social work experience through volunteering and about 1000 hours of extracurricular/leadership experiences from undergrad. I spent an immense amount of time and thought on my statement and assume that my references must have been strong.

If you want to pm me, I'd be happy to talk :)  

Edited by rosee12

11 minutes ago, UofT2015 said:

I had about a year of experience but most people I know didn't unless they completed a thesis for their bachelors

Hey! I'm not sure if you can answer this since it would have been two years ago for you, but how long did they give you to accept your offer into the two year program?

1 hour ago, lindaMSW said:

I definitely didn't have perfect grades but I've been involved in international and local community building since I was 15 (12 years now) and worked in the field for 5 years full time. Don't get caught up in grades, research or work!! I'm sure you will get into an MSW program. I did look into MSW programs in the UK. I was told they usually only accept UK residents so that they train social workers to stay within the country. The only school that appealed to me the most and that would accept international students regularly is the program through the University of Edinburgh. You can also look at Walden (online American program). A couple of friends of mine are pursuing their masters in psychology through them and really enjoy the programs.