NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

On 2/13/2017 at 8:09 PM, socialwerq said:

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I'm happy to report that I received an acceptance today (~6pm Atlantic) via email to Calgary's 1 Year Clinical Specialization. So relieved. I hope you all start receiving news in the not-so-distant future! :) 

I received acceptance email from Calgary yesterday at 5 (eastern time) to the Leadership specialization.  Pretty excited about it as I applied years ago to U of T and York and didn't get in.  Still waiting to hear back from others - but I was surprised we need to let Calgary know by March 1st, not a lot of time.  

Hey everyone, 

Congrats to everyone who has received positive news, and to those who haven't, keep hanging in there! This is also my third year trying. 

I found out yesterday morning that I was waitlisted at Laurier, moments before I had to sit in a dentist's chair. Very stressful! I also received notice that I have been accepted to Windsor. My fingers are still crossed for UofT, hopefully they get their answers out soon. 

Sending positive virtual vibes to everyone here! We'll get through this :mellow:

20 minutes ago, tnt92 said:

Not sure if this was asked: is there a place to view your application status for WLU? I can't locate anything on LORIS

I remember reading somewhere that we will be notified via email! Probably for the best so we don't refresh the same page over and over again hahah

I tend to creep these posts but never add to them, so I figured I would because I'm SUPER anxious to hear back. Last year I applied to Carleton, Windsor and Laurier and was only accepted to Carleton... however, I declined my offer due to some things I was facing at this time last year. Sooo, this year I've applied to Carleton, Laurier and Western. 2-year programs, as I hold a BA in Psychology. I'm very nervous and just want to know already!

Good luck to all and hang in there!!! Sending positive vibes everyone's way ~~~

Edited by kk1010
addition

FYI: I hope this means they will be done sending out admissions by mid-march and not that they will only start coming out mid-march. I've got too much anxiety thinking of waiting another month. Thoughts?

IMG_1477.PNG

Edited by SW_Student

23 minutes ago, SW_Student said:

FYI: I hope this means they will be done sending out admissions by mid-march and not that they will only start coming out mid-march. I've got too much anxiety thinking of waiting another month. Thoughts?

IMG_1477.PNG

Thoughts: 

If they have to wait till mid-March, how long will 2 years have to wait 

eyetwitch.gif

10 hours ago, lindaMSW said:

I just received the rejection letter from U of T 2 year program, I was crying the whole day and had to cancel tonight's V day dinner with my boyfriend. Anyway, I feel happy for those of you who get accepted to a MSW program, I also feel angry and disappointed because this is the third time I am applying to U of T!  I was placed on the waitlist last year but this year I didn't even make to the waitlist.  I don't understand how some people with hideous moral standard and responsibility can get into the program so easily  ( Like the person who brags about how  he was accepted to by all universities in Toronto when he was 23 and  is now doing his MD) and I have tried so hard and so many times with no success. Sorry for listening my rants, my self confidence is totally destroyed today. I hope everyone else has better luck than me this year.

Never compare yourself to others, especially someone who has a demonstrated history of lying in this forum.  Your time will come and when it does it will be all the sweeter.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you for the next cycle!

I was curious what people would do in a situation where they got into their third choice, and waitlisted at their first? 

Would you accept the offer and still keep yourself on the waitlist? What if you got in off the waitlist but already accepted an offer elsewhere? 

I'm so overwhelmed with my uncertain future :( 

7 hours ago, Dry_Guy said:

I know we sort of touched on this on the other forum, but hoping new members or others can provide any/new insight. 

Does anyone know why UofT offers so little funding to their MSW students versus schools like Ryerson (some get up to 15k) or York (granted smaller classes and work opportunities)? 

Also, are there opportunities available at UofT for MSWs to TA or be RAs? 

Thanks in advance. 

It's hard to say why...one thing I've heard is that at U of T you pay for connections/partnerships that U of T has with other organizations, so while other schools prioritize funding students U of T prioritizes it's professional ties for students to get the best placement opportunities (i.e. U of T's monopoly on the university health network--all of the main hospitals in Toronto can only take U of T MSW students). Even if this is the case though, it would only be a partial answer at best.

Unfortunately there are zero opportunities to TA at U of T, mainly because the school doesn't have a BSW program. There are RA opportunities though, I have several friends who help professors in the faculty with research for good wages, and there are frequent emails that go out to students detailing new opportunities! Also, U of T has like this central online hub thing that has all campus job postings so I have a bunch of friends who are getting paid to do research in other faculties/other social worker relevant jobs on campus :).

11 hours ago, lindaMSW said:

I just received the rejection letter from U of T 2 year program, I was crying the whole day and had to cancel tonight's V day dinner with my boyfriend. Anyway, I feel happy for those of you who get accepted to a MSW program, I also feel angry and disappointed because this is the third time I am applying to U of T!  I was placed on the waitlist last year but this year I didn't even make to the waitlist.  I don't understand how some people with hideous moral standard and responsibility can get into the program so easily  ( Like the person who brags about how  he was accepted to by all universities in Toronto when he was 23 and  is now doing his MD) and I have tried so hard and so many times with no success. Sorry for listening my rants, my self confidence is totally destroyed today. I hope everyone else has better luck than me this year.

I am so so sorry to hear this, what a discouraging situation. Please take care of yourself and as stated by many others, please do not let one troll have ANY bearing on your feelings. Thinking of you and sending all the good vibes in this difficult time <3 I hope you are feeling supported right now and please reach out if you need support from any of us. My inbox is always open <3

8 hours ago, socialwerq said:

My understanding is that "the waitlist will be closed on July 31st" means that anyone still on the waitlist at that time will be removed (i.e., not accepted). There will be movement once people start turning down their acceptances!

I see you've applied to Waterloo as well - any idea when/how we'll hear back from them?

Thanks for the info socialwerq - that clears things up a bit!

I haven't heard anything from Waterloo yet, but looking at the previous forums, people saw that they were accepted on Quest late Feb/early March. I haven't seen many people talking about Waterloo's MSW program on here so it's hard to estimate a time-frame. I'm hoping we'll start hearing back within the next few weeks...like everyone else I'm constantly checking my email/refreshing application websites!

On 2/12/2017 at 7:24 PM, Newfor2017 said:

So glad this thread was restarted-thank you Roxx!  I was so disappointed when the last thread was locked but am really grateful to see a new one was started up so quickly.  I've applied only to U Windsors advanced standing program, which starts in May.  Some have already received positive and negative decisions on their file but mine still shows as in process. Anyone else applied to or heard back from Windsors advanced standing program?  Will explore other options if I don't get in but really hoping for a positive decision soon.

If you log onto the Windsor Student Information System (SIS) it should say there under "view your applications." I got an email today saying I was on the waitlist and that was updated! But my Windsor "graduate admission system" still says in process.

Hope you hear back soon too!

5 hours ago, SW15 said:

I am so so sorry to hear this, what a discouraging situation. Please take care of yourself and as stated by many others, please do not let one troll have ANY bearing on your feelings. Thinking of you and sending all the good vibes in this difficult time <3 I hope you are feeling supported right now and please reach out if you need support from any of us. My inbox is always open <3

Thanks for your encouraging messege and genuine support!!! I applied only to U of T this year because I heard the same thing about hospital placement opportunity.  I am wondering if I can still get a hospital placement if I was a York/Ryerson/Windsor MSW student? MSW&MD said that  finding a placement is really about your personal connection with the hospital authroity not the school's reputation, I don't know if it is true or just another trolling comment from him.

Edited by lindaMSW

9 hours ago, 2017hoping said:

I received acceptance email from Calgary yesterday at 5 (eastern time) to the Leadership specialization.  Pretty excited about it as I applied years ago to U of T and York and didn't get in.  Still waiting to hear back from others - but I was surprised we need to let Calgary know by March 1st, not a lot of time.  

Congratulations 2017hoping !!! I received acceptance today for the Leadership Specialization at UofC and am extremely excited! I did try to 'accept' in the myUofC portal but it still listed my application as being completed and not yet admitted so I hope that changes so i can get the ball rolling :) 

My friend and I were both accepted into Windsors advanced standing program.  I found out Monday and she was notified Tuesday :)  I have already accepted the offer and my friend is trying to sort out her finances :) We were notified via email to login to our eGAS account. All the best to those still waiting to hear back...this program begins in May so they may send out acceptances earlier than the schools that have a September start. Hoping you all receive some positive decisions asap. Good luck!

3 hours ago, jaylynn said:

I was curious what people would do in a situation where they got into their third choice, and waitlisted at their first? 

Would you accept the offer and still keep yourself on the waitlist? What if you got in off the waitlist but already accepted an offer elsewhere? 

I'm so overwhelmed with my uncertain future :( 

Hey jaylynn-I'd do exactly as you suggested-accept the offer you received and go on the wait list for your top choice school.  If they both have September start dates, you'll have time to adjust things if your waitlist turns into an acceptance offer.    

If one school is Windsor starting in May and your top choice is a September start, I'd call the school and ask when those on the wait list will have final decisions by; let them know their school is your top choice but time is of the essence as Windsor begins in May.

All the best and take care! Any others attending Windsors advanced standing this May?

1 hour ago, lindaMSW said:

Thanks for your encouraging messege and genuine support!!! I applied only to U of T this year because I heard the same thing about hospital placement opportunity.  I am wondering if I can still get a hospital placement if I was a York/Ryerson/Windsor MSW student? MSW&MD said that  finding a placement is really about your personal connection with the hospital authroity not the school's reputation, I don't know if it is true or just another trolling comment from him.

Hi Linda. My cousin has a BSW and did the advanced standing MSW program at Windsor 2 years ago.  She was able to do a hospital placement at Bluewater Health in Sarnia (the city she was living in while doing the MSW program at Windsor.) I'd presume Windsor has placements at their local hospitals as well but i can't say that for certain.  She did not have any inside connection with our hospital before doing her placement there. Hope this helps.

Take care and all the best-everyone has a unique experience and skill set that distinguishes them from others-things will line up for you when the time is right.

1 hour ago, MSW.hopeful said:

Congratulations 2017hoping !!! I received acceptance today for the Leadership Specialization at UofC and am extremely excited! I did try to 'accept' in the myUofC portal but it still listed my application as being completed and not yet admitted so I hope that changes so i can get the ball rolling :) 

Thanks!  AWESOME - congrats to you as well!  I'm sure you were excited :)  So I guess we might be session mates!  I checked my online account to see if things changed and then checked the letter again and it says it won't be updated for 72 hours after you receive the email so I"m guessing by next Monday you should be able to see the links for it okay.  I am just waiting to hear back from two others, but then we don't have a lot of time to let them know too!  

On 2/12/2017 at 5:03 PM, Kate_14 said:

Hey everyone! I've been following these threads for the past few application cycles, but this is my first time posting this year. I have applied for the 1-year programs at UofT, Laurier, Western, and Waterloo. I'm currently working at a mental health agency in the area of family education/support but hoping to eventually move my way into clinical practice with individuals :). Last year I graduated from Lakehead's 1-year HBSW program - so if anyone has any questions feel free to message me!

Hey Kate_14, I direct messaged you about the HBSW at Lakehead. I figure, it's a HBSW program, not an MSW, so I didn't want to include it on this forum to digress from the topic.. Thanks in advance!

Hi all! I've been following these threads for a few weeks now (wish I would have found them sooner!) but first time posting. I've applied to the two year programs at U of T and UBC- Okanagan. Has anyone else applied to UBC? I haven't seen too many people that have so I'm not sure when they start sending out responses. I've also applied to Carleton for MA Psychology. I know that doesn't apply to this thread but it's definitely quiet on the Carleton psych front- wondering if anyone could direct me to a thread that might have info? Nothing is really listed in the Canadian psych 2017 thread as it's not a clinical program. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone! :) 

2 hours ago, LaingerMAMSW said:

Hi all! I've been following these threads for a few weeks now (wish I would have found them sooner!) but first time posting. I've applied to the two year programs at U of T and UBC- Okanagan. Has anyone else applied to UBC? I haven't seen too many people that have so I'm not sure when they start sending out responses. I've also applied to Carleton for MA Psychology. I know that doesn't apply to this thread but it's definitely quiet on the Carleton psych front- wondering if anyone could direct me to a thread that might have info? Nothing is really listed in the Canadian psych 2017 thread as it's not a clinical program. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone! :) 

Hey! I was actually accepted to Carleton's MA Psych Program back in the day (circa 2014) before I decided to pursue Social Work. I got my acceptance email on February 28th and I believe I had 6 weeks to accept my offer (which I then extended, deferred, and eventually declined - I am the worst!). Not sure if they are still working on a similar timeline, but if so I'd expect to hear in the next two weeks.