NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

27 minutes ago, nutella06 said:

is everyone being notified through email for rejection or waitlisted? 

I'm not sure, I'm just trying to keep up a positive attitude that they're still giving out admissions

2 hours ago, melanietara said:

Get my acceptance from Ryerson! I was also accepted to York and I'm not sure which to accept... Anyone have information on which would be better? Honestly, my first choice was u of t (was waitlisted, not holding out much hope that I'll get in) so I didn't actually do much research on any other school. 

Me too! I was accepted to York back in February and just got accepted into ryerson last weekend, and was also waitlisted into uoft! I don't know how that's even possible to be wait listed when I was accepted to two other programs. I've been going through all the pros and cons of both schools and the funding york offers always seems to out weight ryerson. I'm living down town Toronto, and ryerson is a skip away from me. What have you been thinking about the two schools!? 

Hi everyone :)

Does anyone know the difference between Laurier's 2 year vs King's 2 year MSW program in terms of course content, workload, clinical experience.. etc? Having a tough time deciding which one to choose. 

Thank you! 

Edited by TraczT

19 minutes ago, Lindsay22156 said:

Anyone here know if there is a Facebook group for 2 year laurier msw??

I was wondering that too :) There's a 2017 group, perhaps just copy that one but change the year?

Hello everyone!

After reading through this message board for the past few months I decided to post something myself in the hopes of getting some much needed feedback. So, any information that any of you are able to share is greatly appreciated :D

Firstly, I have recently been accepted to Kings 1 year MSW program and Laurentian's and Lakehead's Msw programs and I wondered if anyone has any feedback about either Laurentian's and/or Lakehead's program? I hadn't seen any other comments about these programs so any input is appreciated. 

Also, I have been wait-listed at U of T and Windsor for the 1 year programs and have yet to hear back from Ryerson so I completely understand the emotions and frustrations that go along with this process.  This forum is a nice reminder that we are not alone in this experience.

Finally, I noticed that there were some inquires about post-degree BSW programs and I wanted to share that I attended University of Victoria's distance post-degree BSW (which I completed in 4 consecutive semesters) and I loved it so please feel free to PM me for more information. 

Edited by Msw2017_

For those of you who applied to Windsor, you might want to check your eGas...I decided to take a break from checking LORIS & checked my eGas instead only to find out that I've been rejected from Windsor -___- I'm pretty annoyed that they didn't send any e-mails about it. I checked the application status page & they made a decision on March 29th but I never received any notification of it. 

So frustrated right now...I'm drowning my sorrows in a Toblerone bar loll 

Edited by riaveda
Added info

5 hours ago, melanietara said:

Get my acceptance from Ryerson! I was also accepted to York and I'm not sure which to accept... Anyone have information on which would be better? Honestly, my first choice was u of t (was waitlisted, not holding out much hope that I'll get in) so I didn't actually do much research on any other school. 

I don't know much about York's program but I know that Ryerson's program is deeply concerned with social justice and anti-oppressive  practice, it's not so much a clinical  program but interested grassroots community based anti-opresive work.

When you folks heard from Ryerson did they mention anything about how many students they have accepted or when prospectives need to accept by? I know they do rolling acceptances but it's the only program I really want and not hearing back is troubling. 

8 hours ago, Msw2017_ said:

Firstly, I have recently been accepted to Kings 1 year MSW program and Laurentian's and Lakehead's Msw programs and I wondered if anyone has any feedback about either Laurentian's and/or Lakehead's program? I hadn't seen any other comments about these programs so any input is appreciated.

Don't quote me on this, but I believe there are more chances of getting funding at Lakehead than the other two schools. If that's a priority for you, I'd call and ask each of those schools about it just to make sure.

It seems like a lot  of people who complete the HBSW at Lakehead on this forum do not apply for the MSW at Lakehead and I wonder why. I don't know if it has something to do with its location or perhaps people want to get a different social work perspective by going to a different school.

Perhaps some of the HBSW people here would like to weigh in on the issue.

As for Laurentian, if you aren't fluent in French, I'd ask the department is this will limited your ability to choose from their list of practicums in any way. If you are very open-minded about where it will be, then maybe this isn't even a concern for you at all.

Congrats on your offers!

Edited by thelionking

1 hour ago, yellow92 said:

hey everyone,

just wondering for U of T's 2 year program... those of you on the waitlist does your SGS account say "decision made" or still "under review"??

thanks!

Change to decision made a week after ROSI changed to invited

1 hour ago, Noodle4 said:

I don't know much about York's program but I know that Ryerson's program is deeply concerned with social justice and anti-oppressive  practice, it's not so much a clinical  program but interested grassroots community based anti-opresive work.

When you folks heard from Ryerson did they mention anything about how many students they have accepted or when prospectives need to accept by? I know they do rolling acceptances but it's the only program I really want and not hearing back is troubling. 

Thanks!

I didn't hear anything about the number of students accepted, but I have until April 10th to accept and June 16th to pay the deposit!

3 hours ago, SW_Student said:

Me too! I was accepted to York back in February and just got accepted into ryerson last weekend, and was also waitlisted into uoft! I don't know how that's even possible to be wait listed when I was accepted to two other programs. I've been going through all the pros and cons of both schools and the funding york offers always seems to out weight ryerson. I'm living down town Toronto, and ryerson is a skip away from me. What have you been thinking about the two schools!? 

Honestly, I've been leaning towards York too for the exact same reason! Ryerson would be more convenient since it's downtown but it's just so hard to turn down funding! I've also just heard that York has a lot of money in general so I feel like there might be additional opportunities to get a position as an RA or apply for research grants and stuff. 

3 hours ago, yellow92 said:

hey everyone,

just wondering for U of T's 2 year program... those of you on the waitlist does your SGS account say "decision made" or still "under review"??

thanks!

I'm not sure if it's the same, but I was waitlisted to U of T for the Advanced Standing program and my SGS account changed to "Decision Made" about a week after I got the letter in the mail. 

31 minutes ago, Kara26 said:

I'm not sure if it's the same, but I was waitlisted to U of T for the Advanced Standing program and my SGS account changed to "Decision Made" about a week after I got the letter in the mail. 

Mine says no registration history and I was waitlisted. I applied for 2 yr

3 hours ago, yellow92 said:

hey everyone,

thanks!

Mine says under review 

1 hour ago, melanietara said:

Honestly, I've been leaning towards York too for the exact same reason! Ryerson would be more convenient since it's downtown but it's just so hard to turn down funding! I've also just heard that York has a lot of money in general so I feel like there might be additional opportunities to get a position as an RA or apply for research grants and stuff. 

Yes, same here as well. From my understanding, they give RA/TA/GA to all students! Did you check out your letter under communications online regarding minimum funding? According to Pam, we don't have to compete for that. 

I also did some looking into the RA/TA/GA jobs on the york cupe website and it just all looks amazing! 

3 hours ago, thelionking said:

Don't quote me on this, but I believe there are more chances of getting funding at Lakehead than the other two schools. If that's a priority for you, I'd call and ask each of those schools about it just to make sure.

It seems like a lot  of people who complete the HBSW at Lakehead on this forum do not apply for the MSW at Lakehead and I wonder why. I don't know if it has something to do with its location or perhaps people want to get a different social work perspective by going to a different school.

Perhaps some of the HBSW people here would like to weigh in on the issue.

As for Laurentian, if you aren't fluent in French, I'd ask the department is this will limited your ability to choose from their list of practicums in any way. If you are very open-minded about where it will be, then maybe this isn't even a concern for you at all.

Congrats on your offers!

Thank you! I actually had not considered that my inability to speak French fluently might limit my practicum choices at Laurentian! I will certainly contact the school to inquire about this aspect.

Thanks again!

Edited by Msw2017_

7 hours ago, Msw2017_ said:

Thank you! I actually had not considered that my inability to speak fluently in French would be a detriment for practicum choices at Laurentian! I will certainly contact the school to inquire about this aspect.

Thanks again!

There are many francophones in Sudbury. 40% of the population, in fact. But most of those people are likely bilingual. According to wikipedia, there are 30 French elementary and high schools vs. 61 English schools. So all of the students attending French schools will need to have school services offered in French. I have no idea how many social service organizations and non-profits offer services in French in Sudbury, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least a few.  

Edited by thelionking