NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

I know I didn't apply this season, but it's making me so happy seeing so many of you all getting offers! To everyone still waiting, I'm sure it's tough, but the waitlist will move eventually. 

Anyone else a longtime creeper of this forum/planning on applying for fall of 2018? Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, 2017ers :unsure:

On 2017-05-22 at 4:18 PM, riaveda said:

@ariel1 thanks for the info! Would you be willing to share your GPA & research methods marks with us? Thanks! 

Hi @riaveda. My GPA was on the average side as was my research methods course (both along the B+ line). However, I think what made me stand apart is all of the volunteer work I completed throughout university and now.

21 minutes ago, ariel1 said:

Hi @riaveda. My GPA was on the average side as was my research methods course (both along the B+ line). However, I think what made me stand apart is all of the volunteer work I completed throughout university and now.

Hi @ariel1, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing the kinds of volunteer/paid work you've done?/time length? 

1 hour ago, MSW2018hopeful said:

Hi @ariel1, I'm wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing the kinds of volunteer/paid work you've done?/time length? 

I volunteered at a community centre in the Downtown Eastside in Vancouver (marginalized population) for over 3 years (1 day/week) and fundraised for them while going through my undergrad. Additionally I have been volunteering for a CourtWatch program that looks at the efficacy of the specialized domestic violence courts in Ontario. Though I am not as involved anymore since starting work full time, I continue to help them with compiling and analyzing data. I am also currently on the grant writing and marketing team for another non-profit whose main focus is to help those experiencing domestic violence. I have been told that U of T highly values research so if you can get any kind of research experience it would be a plus.

1 hour ago, ariel1 said:

I volunteered at a community centre in the Downtown Eastside in Vancouver (marginalized population) for over 3 years (1 day/week) and fundraised for them while going through my undergrad. Additionally I have been volunteering for a CourtWatch program that looks at the efficacy of the specialized domestic violence courts in Ontario. Though I am not as involved anymore since starting work full time, I continue to help them with compiling and analyzing data. I am also currently on the grant writing and marketing team for another non-profit whose main focus is to help those experiencing domestic violence. I have been told that U of T highly values research so if you can get any kind of research experience it would be a plus.

Oh wow, that all seems like amazing experience! As far as research goes, I did a scoping review with a group under my university's school of social work for a campus-run food justice organization, but not much else really. I'm currently volunteering as a grant/fundraising assistant for a non-profit for youth with autism, and I have more practical experience:

- hospital volunteer (navigator/guide) - 6 months, 100ish hours?

- crisis line counselor (150 hours over 1.5 years)

- stylist at dress for success (biweekly for 1.5 years)

- 470-hour social services placement working with youth and adults w/developmental disabilities (day program, pre-employment classes, group homes)

- after school child care (not super relevant, I know... once weekly for 4-5 hours)

- volunteer support staff at an emergency winter shelter (Jan-April, once a week ish)

- social work volunteer at a student run health clinic (15 hours)

- administrative volunteer at a local fund to help low-income families send their kids to summer camp (10ish hours/week, now for a month or so)

I'm also completing a 700-hour social work placement at a community clinic, providing case management, system navigation, and advocacy to (mostly low-income) community members. And I'm starting a casual job as a support assistant at a transition home for women leaving prison.

my gpa is a high B+, almost A- (so close, sad), and I got an A- in my first term of research and B+ in my second (it was two separate courses). I'm planning on working (and possibly volunteering more) next year and applying for fall 2018, to the advanced standing MSW at UofT...... 

Wondering if anyone has advice on how I can improve my chances? Thanks:)

Got a call about my acceptance to UofT's 2 year MSW program. However, I accepted OISE's M.A. in Child Studies and Education program a couple months back. I was given the option to override that acceptance and put my deposit towards the MSW program. But I'm really confused! My original goal was hospital social work (only kind I want to do), but teaching has always been dear to my heart. Any insight or suggestions would be helpful!

2 hours ago, rabschaud said:

Got a call about my acceptance to UofT's 2 year MSW program. However, I accepted OISE's M.A. in Child Studies and Education program a couple months back. I was given the option to override that acceptance and put my deposit towards the MSW program. But I'm really confused! My original goal was hospital social work (only kind I want to do), but teaching has always been dear to my heart. Any insight or suggestions would be helpful!

Hi Rabschaud, 

Congrats on your acceptance to both programs! That's a tough decision, because although social work and teaching are both helping professions, they are quite different. I would make a pros and cons list of both fields/programs and compare them. I would also suggest asking yourself why you specifically only want to do hospital social work (as opposed to community or other government sectors). Maybe search on job sites and compare MSW jobs to education jobs to get a better sense of the two disciplines. Try to think of your goals and your ideal future; what does that look like to you? What do you really see yourself doing, passion and interest-wise? As well as schedule-wise. 

I hope some of these suggestions are useful! :) Good luck making your decision. I would say go with what speaks to you the most!

Edited by MSW2018hopeful

14 hours ago, rabschaud said:

Congrats on the offers! What kind of teaching do you want to do? If you want to teach at an elementary school or a high school, it is my understanding that you need to get a bachelor of education. I'm not so certain that a master's in child studies would help you out with that goal, but I could be wrong. If this is your goal then contact the Ontario College of Teachers or go on their website to find out more information. If you want to teach preschoolers, then a degree in Early Childhood Education is what you'd need. There are very specific requirements set out by the Ministry of Education to do this kind of work, so it'd be best to do some research before making any firm decisions.

If you can't decide between the two right now, maybe you could find a way to do both. For instance, you could do the MSW and afterwards work overseas for a year or two and teach ESL to children. There is plenty of work overseas, particularly in many Asian countries. A different option is to get a teaching degree first, become a teacher and after you work in a field for a few years do an MSW degree part time. As a teacher you should have a fairly easy time finding a job as a school social worker afterwards (although finding a teaching job initially will take a lot of time, effort and persistence because the job market is tough for new grads).

If you still can't decide, then maybe consider which job market is the strongest where you live (or want to live) and what kind of lifestyle you want to have (such as typical working hours).

Getting a social work job in a hospital is very competitive because these jobs often pay the best in the field. What would you do if you couldn't find a hospital job? Is there anything else you could see yourself doing with an MSW if you can't find a hospital job right away?

14 hours ago, thelionking said:

Congrats on the offers! What kind of teaching do you want to do? If you want to teach at an elementary school or a high school, it is my understanding that you need to get a bachelor of education. I'm not so certain that a master's in child studies would help you out with that goal, but I could be wrong. If this is your goal then contact the Ontario College of Teachers or go on their website to find out more information. If you want to teach preschoolers, then a degree in Early Childhood Education is what you'd need. There are very specific requirements set out by the Ministry of Education to do this kind of work, so it'd be best to do some research before making any firm decisions.

If you can't decide between the two right now, maybe you could find a way to do both. For instance, you could do the MSW and afterwards work overseas for a year or two and teach ESL to children. There is plenty of work overseas, particularly in many Asian countries. A different option is to get a teaching degree first, become a teacher and after you work in a field for a few years do an MSW degree part time. As a teacher you should have a fairly easy time finding a job as a school social worker afterwards (although finding a teaching job initially will take a lot of time, effort and persistence because the job market is tough for new grads).

If you still can't decide, then maybe consider which job market is the strongest where you live (or want to live) and what kind of lifestyle you want to have (such as typical working hours).

Getting a social work job in a hospital is very competitive because these jobs often pay the best in the field. What would you do if you couldn't find a hospital job? Is there anything else you could see yourself doing with an MSW if you can't find a hospital job right away?

The MA CSE program at OISE certifies you as an elementary school teacher!

I like the idea of trying to pursue an MSW part-time, or even a BSW part-time!

I know the job market is scarce for teachers at the moment, but I think I'll be willing to struggle for a couple of years to get the end goal.

Thank you for your thoughts! I am planning on sticking with the teaching degree, so hopefully one of the 2017 MSW waitlisters will get a call soon!

On May 30, 2017 at 1:24 PM, Ed07ti said:

Got a call today from Angela today. I got in to the two year MSW program,  beyond happy :) . Keep trying to those who did not get in this year and be patient if you are on the wait-list, good things will happen.

Congrats :) join our group on FB! 

On 2017-05-24 at 10:04 PM, MSW2018hopeful said:

Oh wow, that all seems like amazing experience! As far as research goes, I did a scoping review with a group under my university's school of social work for a campus-run food justice organization, but not much else really. I'm currently volunteering as a grant/fundraising assistant for a non-profit for youth with autism, and I have more practical experience:

- hospital volunteer (navigator/guide) - 6 months, 100ish hours?

- crisis line counselor (150 hours over 1.5 years)

- stylist at dress for success (biweekly for 1.5 years)

- 470-hour social services placement working with youth and adults w/developmental disabilities (day program, pre-employment classes, group homes)

- after school child care (not super relevant, I know... once weekly for 4-5 hours)

- volunteer support staff at an emergency winter shelter (Jan-April, once a week ish)

- social work volunteer at a student run health clinic (15 hours)

- administrative volunteer at a local fund to help low-income families send their kids to summer camp (10ish hours/week, now for a month or so)

I'm also completing a 700-hour social work placement at a community clinic, providing case management, system navigation, and advocacy to (mostly low-income) community members. And I'm starting a casual job as a support assistant at a transition home for women leaving prison.

my gpa is a high B+, almost A- (so close, sad), and I got an A- in my first term of research and B+ in my second (it was two separate courses). I'm planning on working (and possibly volunteering more) next year and applying for fall 2018, to the advanced standing MSW at UofT...... 

Wondering if anyone has advice on how I can improve my chances? Thanks:)

I really think you already have quite a lot on your resume that would qualify you for admissions. If you really wanted to add something to your resume, I would recommend adding some research experience to it, whatever that may be. Otherwise, I would say you have very high chances of getting admitted. Good luck!

On 5/31/2017 at 0:49 PM, rabschaud said:

The MA CSE program at OISE certifies you as an elementary school teacher!

I like the idea of trying to pursue an MSW part-time, or even a BSW part-time!

I know the job market is scarce for teachers at the moment, but I think I'll be willing to struggle for a couple of years to get the end goal.

Thank you for your thoughts! I am planning on sticking with the teaching degree, so hopefully one of the 2017 MSW waitlisters will get a call soon!

If your original goal was to become a clinical social worker, I would stick with MSW. 

If you are planning on staying in Toronto (or in GTA area) getting a full time teaching position is nearly impossible unless you have a contact at one of the private schools in town. Many OISE graduates are either going oversea or heading up north to teach. Those are good options, but supply teaching at TDSB or YDSB is better because you are in the system at least. 

With MSW, it is more flexible for you to actually work upon graduation. You could work at schools, hospitals, government agencies, and so on. There are many MSWs being produced from Ryerson, UT, and York in Toronto so the job market is competitive for social workers as well. However, I feel as though teaching job would be even harder to get (full-time). 

Feel free to send me a PM if you would like to talk about this a bit further. Ultimately, stick with your passion! 

On 2017-05-31 at 8:02 PM, ariel1 said:

I really think you already have quite a lot on your resume that would qualify you for admissions. If you really wanted to add something to your resume, I would recommend adding some research experience to it, whatever that may be. Otherwise, I would say you have very high chances of getting admitted. Good luck!

I'm thinking I'll try to get some research experience in the fall if possible, and try to get a direct social work job as a case worker or something.. but we'll see. Thank you for your advice and input, i really appreciate it! 

I'm on the wait list for the advanced standing MSW at UofT and the waiting game is killing me...Angela mentioned there should be movement off of the wait list around June 1st (when the deposit was due) but I still haven't heard anything...

Had anyone else heard from Angela recently?  I'm still crossing my fingers!!

3 hours ago, Eric@York said:

My sister got off from the wait list on Tuesday, she applied for 1 year MSW advanced standing program at U of T

Aw, OK, thanks for letting me know! :)

Still waiting to hear back from UofT for the 2-year MSW (waitlisted)...any updates anyone? Has anyone heard anything from Angela/past years/current students/rumour mill? Thanks, much appreciated!!!

Hello, 

i have been waitlisted for the Lakehead MSW program, I was told I was at the top of the list, but no one has declined their offers yet. Does anyone know if there is ever movement at lakehead for the MSW program? Or when the latest offer was sent out? 

Thanks 

Edited by MSW2018

On 2017-05-07 at 5:38 PM, Keep calm said:

Is there any other UWindsor 2-year MSW attendees? Should we build a Facebook group to keep connected? 

Where is the Facebook group page? I want to be in......

I know this forum is very quiet around this time but I wanted to share.  I received a call yesterday from U of T and I have been offered a spot in the Advanced standing program which I have accepted.  To those of you still on the wait list, there is hope!! If you are on the wait list at the University of Waterloo, there  should be movement as I withdrew my spot. Good Luck!