NEW Canadian universities M.S.W thread (2017)

Roxxx

1 hour ago, SW_Student said:

OMG Just received an offer to York via email! ITS HAPPENING! Sitting in bed crying way too much! After applying three years in a row and complete the post HBSW at lake head, I can say it was all worth it now! 

Yay!!!  Congratulations!!!! :) 

19 minutes ago, nicoleMSW said:

Wow, if anyone wants a good laugh... check out your activity log for ROSI. Mine is so embarrassing ha!

I know! I did and you're right...kinda makes me seem neurotic! Oh well! :lol:

Edited by Inspired2017

2 hours ago, SW_Student said:

OMG Just received an offer to York via email! ITS HAPPENING! Sitting in bed crying way too much! After applying three years in a row and complete the post HBSW at lake head, I can say it was all worth it now! 

Amazing!!! 

On 2/16/2017 at 0:04 PM, LaingerMAMSW said:

Hi all! I've been following these threads for a few weeks now (wish I would have found them sooner!) but first time posting. I've applied to the two year programs at U of T and UBC- Okanagan. Has anyone else applied to UBC? I haven't seen too many people that have so I'm not sure when they start sending out responses. I've also applied to Carleton for MA Psychology. I know that doesn't apply to this thread but it's definitely quiet on the Carleton psych front- wondering if anyone could direct me to a thread that might have info? Nothing is really listed in the Canadian psych 2017 thread as it's not a clinical program. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone! :) 

Hey, I applied to both those MSW programs and of course have not heard from UofT yet, but for UBC-O I did get waitlisted and they let me know near the end of January. They said that they would have all decisions finalized with regards to acceptances and people who get off the waitlist by the end of March/beginning of April!

51 minutes ago, tdamaren said:

Has anyone heard anything about/ from Laurier? I've applied to the two year program and Laurier and U of T! :) 

I haven't heard anything from Laurier... but from what I can gather from past posts, they are one of the last to respond. I'm not letting myself expect anything from them until end of March at least

1 hour ago, nicoleMSW said:

I haven't heard anything from Laurier... but from what I can gather from past posts, they are one of the last to respond. I'm not letting myself expect anything from them until end of March at least

I checked my mail today and I did not get into Laurier for the 1 year MSW :(. My one friend got wait-listed, but I have not heard from anyone who has received an acceptance from Laurier! It also stated that the stronger of the applicants had over 3500 hours or 2 years of experience. Good luck!

5 hours ago, SW_Student said:

Congratulations!  I'm so glad you got in this time!

I have not received anything from York and am wondering if York does rolling admissions or if not receiving an email today means I didn't get in or got wait-listed.  I checked my status on myfile and it still says "no decision."

1 minute ago, Hopeful18 said:

I have not received anything from York and am wondering if York does rolling admissions or if not receiving an email today means I didn't get in or got wait-listed.  I checked my status on myfile and it still says "no decision."

I was wondering the same thing but I think they may stagger it over a few days - someone got accepted to U of Calg the day before I got an email - so I assume we are still okay for tomorrow and early next week :)  Because I havn't heard of others getting any notification either way from York yet....

Just now, 2017hoping said:

I was wondering the same thing but I think they may stagger it over a few days - someone got accepted to U of Calg the day before I got an email - so I assume we are still okay for tomorrow and early next week :)  Because I havn't heard of others getting any notification either way from York yet....

This is killing me.  Stop toying with us York!

1 hour ago, Onamika said:

I checked my mail today and I did not get into Laurier for the 1 year MSW :(. My one friend got wait-listed, but I have not heard from anyone who has received an acceptance from Laurier! It also stated that the stronger of the applicants had over 3500 hours or 2 years of experience. Good luck!

@Onamika is the 3500 hours for those is the advanced standing or two-year? I have about 3000 but I'm just curious 

11 minutes ago, tdamaren said:

@Onamika is the 3500 hours for those is the advanced standing or two-year? I have about 3000 but I'm just curious 

I feel like I've read in past years that 3500 is recommended for both, but I could definitely be wrong..

1 hour ago, Onamika said:

I had also gotten a rejection letter very early from Laurier and I live in Calgary. I definitely felt however that my experiences accumulated to over 3500 hours, even calculated it too. I applied to the advanced standing msw. Waiting on U of T, Ryerson and York still. So crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

@tdamaren I think it states that for both of the programs, but I applied to the advanced standing one! I have known people who were accepted to the MSW at Laurier with minimal experience outside of their practicum. So keep your fingers crossed and hopefully you'll get in.

I'm sorry to hear @dnswsa, but stay positive for the other schools. I'm also waiting to hear back from Ryerson and York. 

Edited by Onamika

8 minutes ago, dnswsa said:

I had also gotten a rejection letter very early from Laurier and I live in Calgary. I definitely felt however that my experiences accumulated to over 3500 hours, even calculated it too. I applied to the advanced standing msw. Waiting on U of T, Ryerson and York still. So crossing my fingers and hoping for the best.

I'm sorry to hear about your letter from Laurier - but I hope good news will come in the next few weeks for you from T.O!  I wanted to ask if it's ok - you didn't apply to Calgary?  It may be the program I go to (online) but I don't know much about Calgary... 

16 minutes ago, 2017hoping said:

I'm sorry to hear about your letter from Laurier - but I hope good news will come in the next few weeks for you from T.O!  I wanted to ask if it's ok - you didn't apply to Calgary?  It may be the program I go to (online) but I don't know much about Calgary... 

I'm not too down about it. Just wanting to know so I can plan for the future! No I didn't apply because I felt the specializations for me aren't quite what I'm looking for in terms of courses an learning experience, i received a rehabiliation and disability studies degree and my bsw. just thought after 2 degrees from u of c, I feel I have fairly decent foundation of the human services sector here so I thought to diversify and try a new experience in a different city :D

Edited by dnswsa

1 hour ago, dnswsa said:

I'm not too down about it. Just wanting to know so I can plan for the future! No I didn't apply because I felt the specializations for me aren't quite what I'm looking for in terms of courses an learning experience, i received a rehabiliation and disability studies degree and my bsw. just thought after 2 degrees from u of c, I feel I have fairly decent foundation of the human services sector here so I thought to diversify and try a new experience in a different city :D

Ah okay - wow two degrees, that's quite impressive!  Yes, for me it's the opposite for Toronto in that the programs don't really speak to where I want to go; I went to Ryerson for my BSW. I'd like to hopefully combine social work with business a bit (start a business combined with social good/giving back to the community) which is why the leadership specialization interested me.  I'd like to do an MBA in future, but that can be a 10 year goal and lots of studying/preparing for that, lol.  Cool - thanks for the positive info about u of Calg as Calgary is still my go to if I don't hear positive news from York.   

Edited by 2017hoping

Hi lovely friends! My name is Emma and I am a 1st yr MSW student at the University of Toronto. You can email me with any questions at emma.hachey@mail.utoronto.ca

Some info for you... I was waitlisted until June 2nd, then received a call that I was accepted! I know it may seem like there is no hope for you as these letters roll out and people are getting accepted via ROSI or mail but I promise, hope is not lost because you are not in the first cohorts accepted. I love the program and am doing my first practicum right now and just signed up for the Health & Mental Health stream. Please feel free to send me an email and I will try to answer whatever questions I can in my spare time. Good luck to you all and I hope to see some of you next fall! 

5 hours ago, ssbbaker said:

Or anything from Carleton? Still waiting to hear about advanced standing.

I know not many people on here applied to Carleton but any word..?

I received my offer of admission today for the foundation year! I think Carleton makes offers to both Advanced and Foundation year applicants at the same time. Hold tight! You'll hear back soon! Good luck!

Just came home to find out I've been waitlisted at UofT. 3 down 1 to go! A little disappointing, especially since they said I have until April 18 to let them know... but Windsor begins in May. Wah

Anyone know if the waitlist for advanced standing at UofT is stream specific? 

And how many Laurier puts on the waitlist? 

Still trying to accept that I may have to wait another year if I can't find the funds to move to Windsor.