Fall 2017 Canadian University Computer Science Thread

guitarHeroAn

On 3/24/2017 at 2:45 PM, smfz said:

Alberta sneakingly sent out Mass Rejections. Everyone go check the portal to see your fate.

Didn't make the cut either. Still optimistic though. It's gonna turn out fine.

On 3/25/2017 at 6:44 PM, Jeffs said:

Didn't make the cut either. Still optimistic though. It's gonna turn out fine.

Not optimistic anymore. It's gonna turn out just horrible.

7 hours ago, Jeffs said:

Not optimistic anymore. It's gonna turn out just horrible.

Dude we just gotta wait. If it comforts you, know that there are a LOT of people in the same boat, who haven't heard back from anywhere. I myself haven't heard back from ANYWHERE I applied. I know it's really hard...Most of the time during the day I'm just super anxious and keep checking my email/portals/gradcafe results section for any news, but to no avail. I actually work from home so I don't have the luxury of going away for work for the good part of the day to keep my mind off things. It's just torturous. But I'm trying to get by just by knowing that there are others too, in fact a lot of them, a number of which will be admitted definitely. So we might be one of those lucky ones :) 

4 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

What happened ?

3 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

Dude we just gotta wait. If it comforts you, know that there are a LOT of people in the same boat, who haven't heard back from anywhere. I myself haven't heard back from ANYWHERE I applied. I know it's really hard...Most of the time during the day I'm just super anxious and keep checking my email/portals/gradcafe results section for any news, but to no avail. I actually work from home so I don't have the luxury of going away for work for the good part of the day to keep my mind off things. It's just torturous. But I'm trying to get by just by knowing that there are others too, in fact a lot of them, a number of which will be admitted definitely. So we might be one of those lucky ones :) 

The fact that there are so many people in the same boat is actually what worries me.

I have sort of found out that if you're not contacted by faculty members you're probably not getting admitted. At least that's how it is for the schools I'm looking to hear back from(waterloo and mcgill). And guess who hasn't been contacted by any faculty members.

8 hours ago, Jeffs said:

The fact that there are so many people in the same boat is actually what worries me.

I have sort of found out that if you're not contacted by faculty members you're probably not getting admitted. At least that's how it is for the schools I'm looking to hear back from(waterloo and mcgill). And guess who hasn't been contacted by any faculty members.

You're losing hope a bit too early mate. Believe me, not all offers have been made. UBC is way behind its schedule for reviewing applications and SFU has made less than half of offers what it usually makes in a Fall intake (info coming from interaction with an administrative person at both universities). I'm sure things are similar in Waterloo and McGill too. Calm down dude, anytime now :)  

25 minutes ago, Canadaspirant said:

Waterloo also sneakily sent out rejects. Check your Quest page. I've been rejected.

Mine is "No decision has yet been made by the academic department."
Are you sure they sent mass reject? I don't have much hopes though.

UPDATE: Seems to me as mass rejects. My friend got rejected. It says: "You have been denied admission by the academic department". For me however the status is still "No decision has been made". 

Edited by guitarHeroAn

7 minutes ago, smfz said:

I am having a fear that their rejection cron will reach my records soon. anxiety is touching skies :(

Hahahah rejection cron :P 

If we're being technical (and positive), I don't think the records are updated sequentially and very slowly. Probably a single SQL command to turn a certain batch of entries in database into rejections. If we were out, then probably it would have happened with everyone else ;) Or maybe we are in the next batch :unsure:. At this point, I don't even care now. I'm ready. Hit me 

(I'm currently so anxious that I want to run away or bang my head in the wall, but to keep myself a bit sane I am writing this haha)

Also, atleast we got something to do today: Check waterloo portal every 10 minutes. 

Edited by guitarHeroAn

4 minutes ago, guitarHeroAn said:

Hahahah rejection cron :P 

If we're being technical (and positive), I don't think the records are updated sequentially and very slowly. Probably a single SQL command to turn a certain batch of entries in database into rejections. If we were out, then probably it would have happened with everyone else ;) Or maybe we are in the next batch :unsure:. At this point, I don't even care now. I'm ready. Hit me 

(I'm currently so anxious that I want to run away or bang my head in the wall, but to keep myself a bit sane I am writing this haha)

I agree,, I have been checking the quest at the rate my employer might soon blacklist it .. :wacko:..

On 3/20/2017 at 11:46 AM, Canadaspirant said:

What is the source of this information? 

This wait is killing. 

Guys you should post more information on your profile so we can help each other out to know the competition we're facing. For example,  the total number of applicants isn't what's important.  What's important is the number of applicants compe

So guys post your research area and if you've had prior contact with a potential supervisor. 

MINE:

Research area: Distributed Systems.       Contact with faculty: Yes. Messaged a few, but received no guarantees. 

It's true. I contacted them and asked about my application status they replied:
Thanks for your follow up email. The School, in association with the Dean of Graduate Studies offices, had decided to extend the application deadline to the Fall 2017 intake period to February 15, 2017. Now that this deadline has passed, the adjudication of applications have begun by the Admissions Committee. The Fall 2017 intake period is the School's largest intake with nearly 1500 applicants. The review of this large volume of applications will, understandably, take some time. For this reason, admissions decisions will be sent out to applicants by May 1, 2017. You may check your application status in May through the means outlined in the link below, under the subheading, 'Once you've applied; Status of your application'

Research area: Image Processing.       Contact with faculty: Yes. encouraged me to apply. 

I have applied to SFU,York,Uoit,Ryerson,Concordia,Western Ontario, and saskatchewan.
 but still no news from them. the waiting is killing me. I check my email 50 times a day.
has anybody got admission from these universities?

43 minutes ago, mahsa188 said:

I have applied to SFU,York,Uoit,Ryerson,Concordia,Western Ontario, and saskatchewan.
 but still no news from them. the waiting is killing me. I check my email 50 times a day.
has anybody got admission from these universities?

Not admission, but got rejection from Saskatchewan. I inquired about my application status and in reply they sent this.

"I am writing to inform you that the Graduate Admissions Committee has made its decisions concerning graduate admissions for September 2017. Unfortunately, you are not on the admission list." 

A friend got this from UBC when she acquired about her status, she applied to MSc CS Thesis:

No decision has been made on your application yet.  We are expected to continue evaluating applications until the end of April

So it seems for UBC things are going to take another month. I literally banged my head on the wall after reading this. But it also suggests that there are a lot of applications that are still not reviewed, so we have ample chance of getting in still. Its still a bit too early to lose hope.

1 hour ago, guitarHeroAn said:

A friend got this from UBC when she acquired about her status, she applied to MSc CS Thesis:

No decision has been made on your application yet.  We are expected to continue evaluating applications until the end of April

So it seems for UBC things are going to take another month. I literally banged my head on the wall after reading this. But it also suggests that there are a lot of applications that are still not reviewed, so we have ample chance of getting in still. Its still a bit too early to lose hope.

Dude(gender neutral) I love the way you write.

Seems like waterloo is actively sending out responses today, heard about some rejections, and there is an acceptance on results section as well. Anyone know whats happening there?