Fall 2017 Canadian University Computer Science Thread

guitarHeroAn

39 minutes ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

I sent some emails back and forth with a professor at Waterloo. At his last email, he said that "If you end up coming to Waterloo, I am sure that we will be able to find an area of mutual interest." Is this a good or neutral sign ?

My Lord and my God! That's like a censored F**k You.

I have seen terrible things! 

2 hours ago, phdhopeful1995 said:

I sent some emails back and forth with a professor at Waterloo. At his last email, he said that "If you end up coming to Waterloo, I am sure that we will be able to find an area of mutual interest." Is this a good or neutral sign ?

1 hour ago, Canadaspirant said:

My Lord and my God! That's like a censored F**k You.

I have seen terrible things! 

No, it's really not. 

It means that he will have nothing to do with your admission. So it's neutral.

15 hours ago, smfz said:

Not admission, but got rejection from Saskatchewan. I inquired about my application status and in reply they sent this.

"I am writing to inform you that the Graduate Admissions Committee has made its decisions concerning graduate admissions for September 2017. Unfortunately, you are not on the admission list." 

hope u get admission form other universities dear friend. did you have minimum requirements? I inquired about my application status and they answered :

"Hi Mahsa,

My apologies, but it seems that I missed responding to your email. 

We have made several offers of admission already, based on faculty requests. I have not had any requests for your admission. "

1 hour ago, mahsa188 said:

hope u get admission form other universities dear friend. did you have minimum requirements? I inquired about my application status and they answered :

"Hi Mahsa,

My apologies, but it seems that I missed responding to your email. 

We have made several offers of admission already, based on faculty requests. I have not had any requests for your admission. "

By the interactions I had with professors and gwen, I came to a conclusion that firstly they pass all of the applications through initial scrutiny where a committee judges each application for standards and requirements, then they are given to the potential supervisors to make final decisions. Looking at your response seems that your application has successfully gone through the first phase but no faculty member has put their commitment on you. So its better to email your potential supervisors asking their support.

Best of luck :)

59 minutes ago, smfz said:

By the interactions I had with professors and gwen, I came to a conclusion that firstly they pass all of the applications through initial scrutiny where a committee judges each application for standards and requirements, then they are given to the potential supervisors to make final decisions. Looking at your response seems that your application has successfully gone through the first phase but no faculty member has put their commitment on you. So its better to email your potential supervisors asking their support.

Best of luck :)

Thanks, I entered the name of 3 supervisors that I liked to work with. I emailed them before applying but they didn't answer my emails.

1 minute ago, mahsa188 said:

Thanks, I entered the name of 3 supervisors that I liked to work with. I emailed them before applying but they didn't answer my emails.

Can you name them here? maybe I help you with some information.

Just went through the CS reults page for U Of Toronto, Oh well doesn't seem like I'm getting in there... They sent out interview requests to the admits and informed them of the decision at the end of the interview. They also mailed back students inquiring about their decision status to ,"Prioritse other offers" as they have very few admits left to give out and will do so only by end of April. Im gonna accept my offer in the US i guess...:unsure:

4 minutes ago, mahsa188 said:

DETERS(distributed)
Eramian(image processing)
JAMALI(distributed)

Deters and Jamali are full this session, specifically Jamali, all of his positions are committed. Most probably they will look for more in Jan2018 session. A friend of mine got acceptance under him in jan2017 session.

2 minutes ago, smfz said:

Deters and Jamali are full this session, specifically Jamali, all of his positions are committed. Most probably they will look for more in Jan2018 session. A friend of mine got acceptance under him in jan2017 session.

so, the probability of my acceptance is so low in this university. 

9 minutes ago, smfz said:

what's your idea if I contact with other professors who I didn't mention their names on my application?

16 minutes ago, mahsa188 said:

what's your idea if I contact with other professors who I didn't mention their names on my application?

There is no harm doing that I guess. 

Reality has started hitting me hard. For research based programs if you hadn't been in contact with a faculty prior to application, chances are so slim (on the verge of nonexistent). Your profile better be nothing less than charming. 

If you just got hit by reality and decided to start messaging faculty now,  good luck with that. You wouldn't convince any faculty to take you on a whim unless you're blessed with skill to write attractive research proposals on a whim (if you are blessed with such skill though, I wonder why you're here to begin with). If all you're gonna tell the faculty is how good your grades were during your undergraduate studies and your passion for the field with nothing concrete (relating to research) to present, then come sit next to me so we can shed tattoo tears on your behalf. 

14 minutes ago, Canadaspirant said:

Reality has started hitting me hard. For research based programs if you hadn't been in contact with a faculty prior to application, chances are so slim (on the verge of nonexistent). Your profile better be nothing less than charming. 

If you just got hit by reality and decided to start messaging faculty now,  good luck with that. You wouldn't convince any faculty to take you on a whim unless you're blessed with skill to write attractive research proposals on a whim (if you are blessed with such skill though, I wonder why you're here to begin with). If all you're gonna tell the faculty is how good your grades were during your undergraduate studies and your passion for the field with nothing concrete (relating to research) to present, then come sit next to me so we can shed tattoo tears on your behalf. 

Whoa whoa calm down satan

14 minutes ago, Canadaspirant said:

#Facts

Is there anything I said that's untrue? You can point it out.

Btw do you happen to be a Nairaland user? 

I do actually have some facts for everyone here: 

SFU hasn't sent more than half of offers it usually sends for Fall intake. They take in almost 1500 applicants each fall so do the math and see that there are a lot of offers up for grabs still. (From interacting with an admin at SFU grad school). I know someone who got accepted at CS Thesis program and he said that the offer acceptance deadline for them is this Monday. Maybe we can expect another wave of decisions after that?

UBC told someone at edulix.com that they will be reviewing applications until the end of April. Now unless a school has a lot of pending applications that it hasn't reviewed yet or really just playing the waiting game, there's no point in delaying it further. So I assume for UBC there are still a lot of offers up for grabs. 

McGill seems to be silent on all fronts. Out of all the people I personally know, no one has received a decision (one has received a reject though) in CS. They promised that by march end they'll give out results but I think they might delay it again (again due to number of applications that are still left for review). If they were delaying because they were waiting for people to accept their offers until a deadline, then there was no point in delaying the decision dates for them (First it was March 15, then March end and now maybe even more delay). As far as I know, universities give a set deadline to offer recipients to accept the offer, and after that date, they send out another wave of admits. But this is not the case anywhere. 

Waterloo sent a number of rejections yesterday. I saw a lot of people getting rejected, but none to be accepted (or maybe one or two, nothing significant). Maybe we can assume acceptances are coming in soon?

Toronto might be a long shot since as you read they are advising people to move on and not depend on them for decisions. So there you are OK to lose hope (I am losing hope here as well). 

I've been member of this and another forum for 5 years now, and I've monitored 5 application seasons. What I've noticed each year is that usually on the forum there are comparable number of acceptances/rejection for each university/program. Maybe in some cases less acceptance people and more rejections. But this year, on all the forums I've seen, the number of people who "haven't heard anything" or "have been rejected" are much much much more than the number of people who are "accepted". This makes me believe that maybe, just maybe, the actual offers have not been made yet. If a lot of us are waiting, who's getting the offers? I understand a significant portion of people are not on forums, but we do have some small sample size which usually depicts the actual distribution of both positive and negative offers. 

There. I've given you so many reasons to stay positive. I know it's hard, I know because I'm losing hope too, but I think we all might just have to wait a bit more and have faith. 

I'm pretty sure in about 1-2 weeks of time we all be here, going through our previous posts and saying to ourselves - "Huh, I was anxious for no reason, I got in my favourite program!" :) 

Edited by guitarHeroAn

11 minutes ago, guitarHeroAn said:

There. I've given you so many reasons to stay positive. I know it's hard, I know because I'm losing hope too, but I think we all might just have to wait a bit more and have faith. 

Good points. Helpful to me also. But once again you're on about something different from the issue I was addressing and your points don't refute my statements. I never said there's (generally) no hope. I said chances are slim for those who havn't been in contact with potential supervisors unless you have a charming application profile. 

Now whether or not applicants are still being admitted or the number of people who will be admitted wasn't the subject of, and has no relevance to my post. 

PS. asked if you are a Nairalander.

Edited by Canadaspirant

31 minutes ago, Canadaspirant said:

Good points. Helpful to me also. But once again you're on about something different from the issue I was addressing and your points don't refute my statements. I never said there's (generally) no hope. I said chances are slim for those who havn't been in contact with potential supervisors unless you have a charming application profile. 

Now whether or not applicants are still being admitted or the number of people who will be admitted wasn't the subject of, and has no relevance to my post. 

PS. asked if you are a Nairalander.

Didn't want to refute your points mate. Just wanted to give some positive news. Anyways I am not a member of that forum. What is it about? 

2 minutes ago, guitarHeroAn said:

Didn't want to refute your points mate. Just wanted to give some positive news. 

Then your previous calm down Satan remark was uncalled for. 

Anyway we're sailing the same boat and should paddle accordingly. Regardless of the trends we all need to stay hopeful as you pointed out.

Update:

1 reject from Waterloo (CS). Still hopeful for SFU (CS) and Waterloo (ECE) 

11 minutes ago, Canadaspirant said:

Then your previous calm down Satan remark was uncalled for. 

Anyway we're sailing the same boat and should paddle accordingly. Regardless of the trends we all need to stay hopeful as you pointed out.

Update:

1 reject from Waterloo (CS). Still hopeful for SFU (CS) and Waterloo (ECE) 

Sorry I didn't take into account that you might be unaware of that slang. It was meant to be a light hearted sarcastic comment but I'm sorry if it was uncalled for. 

Too bad, when did you receive your Waterloo reject? 

Edited by guitarHeroAn

1 hour ago, guitarHeroAn said:

They take in almost 1500 applicants each fall so do the math and see that there are a lot of offers up for grabs still. (From interacting with an admin at SFU grad school).

Any idea how many UBC take in this fall?

Tks

46 minutes ago, guitarHeroAn said:

Sorry I didn't take into account that you might be unaware of that slang. It was meant to be a light hearted sarcastic comment but I'm sorry if it was uncalled for. 

Too bad, when did you receive your Waterloo reject? 

Don't sweat it bro/sis...  It's just minor misunderstanding. #mybad

Got rejected as a good morning message yesterday.  First thing I saw when I woke up, but funny enough I didn't feel bad about it. I guess I was tired of the wait and just wanted a feedback, any feedback, already!

My only quarrel was that they didn't even care to send a mail. After paying over CAD$100 we at least deserve that.