Fall 2017 Canadian University Computer Science Thread

guitarHeroAn

9 hours ago, Jeffs said:

Called them yesterday again. Didn't pick up. No answer for the email either. The number can be found here. https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/people/staff. Call Diti.

I'll call them today. 

EDIT: So I called Diti who's the Graduate Program Coordinator at McGill Computer Science, and she said that due to the increased number of applications that they got this year, the review process is taking a lot of time. However they wish to give out all decisions by the end of April. She said they might try to send all offers before that, but that's the latest date. 

When I asked her how many offers have already been made for the class she said she doesn't remember that. 

So folks, as I mentioned earlier, brace yourselves for another 4 weeks. SFU has May 1st as the latest date by which they will send decisions, and so does UBC (I think). I'll call UBC today and ask for information from them too. 

Edited by guitarHeroAn

6 hours ago, x_c said:

Any info on UToronto CS MSc decisions? Are they holding off till April end as well or is there no hope now? 

They've actually sent out most offers, and only a few, if there are any will be sent this month. I am myself expecting a reject from there now since I haven't heard anything from them yet.

1 hour ago, rbianchi said:

Thank you, man! Let us know when you hear from them.

I called UBC and it turns out the automated system asks me to record a message. They didn't give me an option to talk to someone in person so I didn't pursue it. Maybe I'll try tomorrow. 

13 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

I'll call them today. 

EDIT: So I called Diti who's the Graduate Program Coordinator at McGill Computer Science, and she said that due to the increased number of applications that they got this year, the review process is taking a lot of time. However they wish to give out all decisions by the end of April. She said they might try to send all offers before that, but that's the latest date. 

When I asked her how many offers have already been made for the class she said she doesn't remember that. 

So folks, as I mentioned earlier, brace yourselves for another 4 weeks. SFU has May 1st as the latest date by which they will send decisions, and so does UBC (I think). I'll call UBC today and ask for information from them too. 

I managed to called them too. Couldn't get anything more than you did.

14 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

I called UBC and it turns out the automated system asks me to record a message. They didn't give me an option to talk to someone in person so I didn't pursue it. Maybe I'll try tomorrow. 

Thank you anyway :)

I saw someone posting a reject on the results page. Maybe they are sending something this week. Fingers crossed ...

Hi guys, I've applied to MS in UToronto and UBC. Anyone heard anything from them yet?
Also, which of the Canadian Universities(incl Waterloo and McGill) have an interview process for a Masters program?

10 hours ago, mclaren said:

Hi guys, I've applied to MS in UToronto and UBC. Anyone heard anything from them yet?
Also, which of the Canadian Universities(incl Waterloo and McGill) have an interview process for a Masters program?

I applied there and have heard nothing yet. For interviews I think it depends on the professor. If he/she feels to have a chat, they can go for it else it's not a requirement as far as I know. 

On 06/04/2017 at 5:37 PM, rbianchi said:

Thank you anyway :)

I saw someone posting a reject on the results page. Maybe they are sending something this week. Fingers crossed ...

:) 

Second week of April... Let the suffering begin. Not expecting anything this week either but still can't keep my mind off these things. The fact that the whole idea of doing a masters from Canada is hanging in the balance makes me anxious and uncomfortable. 

20 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

Second week of April... Let the suffering begin. Not expecting anything this week either but still can't keep my mind off these things. The fact that the whole idea of doing a masters from Canada is hanging in the balance makes me anxious and uncomfortable. 

We might hear something though. Weeks leading to 15s are usually somewhat significant.

20 minutes ago, Jeffs said:

We might hear something though. Weeks leading to 15s are usually somewhat significant.

I'd say I'll expect things by the end of third week and start of 4th ?

But yeah won't complain if I hear a positive news this week ?

19 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

I'd say I'll expect things by the end of third week and start of 4th ?

But yeah won't complain if I hear a positive news this week ?

Looks like you're probably right. I got a reply along these lines from the email I sent Mcgill last week:

There are too many applicants.

We hope to have decisions by the end of April.

3 hours ago, omerjerk said:

I received a reject from University of Toronto today.

Should I be hopeful about McGill and UBC at all? Haven't heard from them yet. :(

Hope is what we have left when the lights seem to go off. Let's wait a bit more and find out for ourselves. It will be good for all I'm sure.