Fall 2017 Canadian University Computer Science Thread

guitarHeroAn

I asked SFU big data program yesterday about the status of my application. They replied the following:

Thank you for your application to the big data program. Unfortunately, if you have not received an offer from us yet, you chances of admission are very small.

Already was rejected by UAlberta couple of weeks ago.

Was recommended for acceptance to MACS program by CS faculty of Dalhousie (should also take 3 bachelor CS courses). Waiting for the official letter from registrar office.

Will accept Dalhousie offer. With my bachelor degree, it is very good opportunity.

My stats: TOEFL 102, GRE 319 (162, 157), AWA 3.0 :(, Related to CS bachelor degree with good GPA (but not exactly CS) from unknown university. Good work experience highly related to data science.

On 4/11/2017 at 10:08 AM, guitarHeroAn said:

I'd say I'll expect things by the end of third week and start of 4th ?

But yeah won't complain if I hear a positive news this week ?

Looks like you were right. 

I've started making plans for the less desirable scenario (of being rejected).

7 hours ago, Jeffs said:

Looks like you were right. 

I've started making plans for the less desirable scenario (of being rejected).

Me too. But still hoping for the best :)

2 hours ago, The Red Viper said:

Yet another week goes by without any news from McGill and Waterloo. Looks like I will have to settle with Stony Brook University.

Indeed. Next two weeks are going to be crucial. 

1 hour ago, guitarHeroAn said:

Got denied admission at Waterloo. MMath Computer Science Thesis. 

Sucks....  Now what's left? Guess it's SFU and McGill.

I'm also waiting on SFU and Waterloo (ECE), tried initiating contact with faculty but seems for SFU they'd rather you don't contact them. 

12 hours ago, Canadaspirant said:

Sucks....  Now what's left? Guess it's SFU and McGill.

I'm also waiting on SFU and Waterloo (ECE), tried initiating contact with faculty but seems for SFU they'd rather you don't contact them. 

SFU and McGill left. 

3 hours ago, The Red Viper said:

Denied admission at UWaterloo. Expected, but hurts.

Same feeling. 

4 hours ago, omerjerk said:

Anyone waiting for UBC as well?

Is it good to be hopeful for it at all?

I got rejected just a couple days back. It most likely means you're on a waitlist and your chances of getting an offer are positive, if not certain. That's why they're still keeping you. I assume they recently sent rejects to people who were a bit on the lower side of waitlist, who most likely won't make it to the acceptance list. Atleast that's my thinking. 

3 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

I got rejected just a couple days back. It most likely means you're on a waitlist and your chances of getting an offer are positive, if not certain. That's why they're still keeping you. I assume they recently sent rejects to people who were a bit on the lower side of waitlist, who most likely won't make it to the acceptance list. Atleast that's my thinking. 

I have the impression the same goes for Mcgill and Waterloo. Don't you think?

Edited by Jeffs

1 hour ago, Jeffs said:

I have the impression the same goes for Mcgill and Waterloo. Don't you think?

I think yes. For both of these universities too this logic applies. For SFU though things are different, they haven't sent any waves yet (no rejections). They've sent a couple offers but not too many (from personal interaction). Maybe they are actually yet to announce the results. 

Did you get in anywhere you applied to? What universities are you waiting on?

Edited by guitarHeroAn

4 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

I think yes. For both of these universities too this logic applies. For SFU though things are different, they haven't sent any waves yet (no rejections). They've sent a couple offers but not too many (from personal interaction). Maybe they are actually yet to announce the results. 

Did you get in anywhere you applied to? What universities are you waiting on?

Nope, I missed Alberta and UBC(ECE, though that's an interesting story in itself). 

Waiting for Waterloo and Mcgill. Though I gotta say, Waterloo seems sort of like a "slow" school (I know the statistics say otherwise) to me. I'd much prefer Mcgill. Though maybe that's just my location bias talking.

2 minutes ago, Jeffs said:

Nope, I missed Alberta and UBC(ECE, though that's an interesting story in itself). 

Waiting for Waterloo and Mcgill. Though I gotta say, Waterloo seems sort of like a "slow" school (I know the statistics say otherwise) to me. I'd much prefer Mcgill. Though maybe that's just my location bias talking.

The prof at Waterloo is pretty cool though.

For the international folks waiting for McGill's decision, do you know that we require a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) before filing for VISA, and it can take anywhere between a month to two months to arrive? 

Once that arrives, the VISA is filed and it can take another month or something to arrive. 

Basically it will be a tight schedule for international people accepted at the end of April for September session. 

Edited by guitarHeroAn

19 hours ago, guitarHeroAn said:

For the international folks waiting for McGill's decision, do you know that we require a Québec Acceptance Certificate (CAQ) before filing for VISA, and it can take anywhere between a month to two months to arrive? 

Once that arrives, the VISA is filed and it can take another month or something to arrive. 

Basically it will be a tight schedule for international people accepted at the end of April for September session. 

I'm ready to go through all this. I just need an admit. LOL

7 hours ago, The Red Viper said:

I'm ready to go through all this. I just need an admit. LOL

hahaha same here man...

I sometimes wonder..What are the chances..So many people getting left out this year from Canada. It was supposed to welcome us haha that's what Trudeau has been promoting ever since Trump assumed presidency. But guess not. And I have all the reasons to believe next year its going to be a shitstorm of enormous applications plaguing the small number of universities that Canada has to offer.