After not hearing back from any programs...

vonnegutsaves

I've been rejected from 2 out of 3 already, with ya there! In the beginning I was preferring hope over despair but at this point I just want to go ahead and choose B, or C definitively. I don't think I'll try out for PhD applications again as I will take the results as a sign that I'm not cut out for this route. 

On 2/13/2017 at 0:25 PM, vonnegutsaves said:

A) Time to think about next cycle?

B) Panic? 

C) Cry?

D) All of the above?

Anyone else out there with me?

I've been through B and C already (at a surprisingly fast pace) and have moved on to A. And I'm also trying to appreciate the gift of more time before I lose my life to academia again. 

@eloquentrivka - I would hardly take the small handful of rejections that we've seen (most of the folks I've seen on this forum that are already planning on the next cycle are those of us who only applied to 2-5 programs) as an indication that we aren't cut out for this route. I think, if anything, the drive to get back up and try again next time is an indication that we ARE made for this. Rejections come more often than acceptances for many things in academia - and life in general. Sure, if your GPA is low, your GRE scores aren't great, you don't have strong letters of recommendation, etc. you might want to consider looking at alternate paths...but I'm choosing to have faith in myself and my abilities. And I would encourage others to do the same.

12 hours ago, kris10mb said:

@eloquentrivka - I would hardly take the small handful of rejections that we've seen (most of the folks I've seen on this forum that are already planning on the next cycle are those of us who only applied to 2-5 programs) as an indication that we aren't cut out for this route. I think, if anything, the drive to get back up and try again next time is an indication that we ARE made for this. Rejections come more often than acceptances for many things in academia - and life in general. Sure, if your GPA is low, your GRE scores aren't great, you don't have strong letters of recommendation, etc. you might want to consider looking at alternate paths...but I'm choosing to have faith in myself and my abilities. And I would encourage others to do the same.

You are so positive! When I feel good I think like you, but when I feel bad about myself and my rejections I have to be careful not to spiral down in self-pitty. I'm really struggling with thoughs like: I applied at 4 schools, why didn't I get at least one acceptance? Why do some people get multiple acceptances, even coming straight from undergrad?

I'm also already planning for my next cycle. I'm going to develop research proposals, maybe look for a 'better' job so maaaayyybe I can gain some relevant experience.Right now i'm going to focus on reading and catching up on relevant reading and my topic (I'm totally new to my topic).  And crying and stress eating. who can forget about that.

@EvelynD -- I've been struggling with my fair share of self-pity...Thankfully, I have a good support system in both my personal and professional life that hasn't really let me get too down. I've also found that trying to figure out why certain people get accepted and why others don't is just a painful, unproductive exercise. We weren't in the admission meetings and have no idea why they picked the people they picked. Trying to compare yourself to the accepted folks just brings more frustration, in my experience. But four schools is a pretty small pool of possibilities. Just think, maybe the people you want to study with can't take any more students right now, are leaving, or have already left and the school hasn't updated their website. Maybe research interests are changing at a particular school and while they once studied what you want to research, the department is trying to move away from that area. Also, one of the schools I got rejected from took a cohort of 7-ish people. That is a very small and very competitive group of people fighting for just a handful spots. We could have been rejected/waitlisted for any number of reasons that really have nothing to do with our abilities. I know that there are areas in my application that I can improve upon (such as a better tailored SOP and raising my quant GRE), but I know that I'm qualified to do this and I won't let a couple rejections get in the way of that. 

18 minutes ago, vonnegutsaves said:

Hey All,

I applied to eight programs and have only heard back from two, two denials (Harvard and Brown). Should I email programs and ask for an update? 

No, i would not do this until after the first week of march. It's not uncommon for many schools to release that late.

49 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

Curious if you have any idea as to what has hindered your applications. I know you have a pretty solid background, from previous posts.

My best guess: 

1. Low Quant GRE.  I should have retaken this and am totally kicking myself for not.  I was finishing my data analysis for my thesis this summer/writing this fall and just too busy so I applied w/ my scores from MA.  Now, seeing how many people apply and having read Posselt's book, well...this was probably my biggest mistake.  My guess is that most schools didn't even look at my application. 

2. Not having finished my MA, not having publications from MA.  I know everyone says publications aren't everything, but I think for people w/ MA's that it kind of is.  So I will be sending out articles from my thesis everywhere as soon as I defend (3/3!).  I think not having finished a thesis is also a big deal for programs.  They don't know what your situation is or what your work looks like- so submitting a conference paper for your writing sample isn't the same as being able to send in the discussion chapter of a thesis.  I put this all as one thing because I see it as rolled into one.

3. Maybe lack of prestige of uni's that I've attended?  This is one that I can't control and haven't really focused on.  I have excellent grades and if I can get published, do another conference this year, and maybe get some more research experience going then it shouldn't matter (I hope).  

I don't know.  These are my best guesses, hope the insight helps others.  I am only 26, so I am not going to give up hope yet- I know I am pretty young/early in my career so I'll apply again.

Here are my other stats for those of you who don't know my history on here... 

3.9 MA GPA

4 Research Project Experiences, 2 Field Schools, 1 Internship

2 Years Teaching Experience (Instructor of Record)

3 Conference Papers (Major conferences, 2 additional papers at small, department conference making 5 total), 1 Poster 

MA Certificate in Rural Studies (was my minor)

1 Award/Scholarship in MA

2 Years Management Experience (I worked full time in undergrad). 

Hispanic (some people think this matters, I don't think it makes me any different in the application process).

Edited by montanem

@montanemand anyone else looking to improve their GRE score (especially quant):  I highly recommend Magoosh as a prep source. I purchased the premium membership ($79 when it was on sale) and followed (imperfectly) the 6-month math beginners study plan. The Magoosh instructional math videos are GREAT. They really break down the content conceptually such that I understood math better than ever, and the practice problems were on-point. Besides the practice problems contained in each video, there's a library of over 500 math practice problems and Magoosh keeps track of amount of time spent on each question compared to what is optimal for that question, as well as subject area and difficulty. The verbal program is similar but for me I needed to make the biggest gains in math so that was my focus. There's a supportive Facebook community for Magoosh GRE students and I'm even pretty good friends with two people I met there. The other resources that the Magoosh math plan recommends also round everything out. I ended up scoring 157 on Q which was exactly my goal (reported as the average for admitted Harvard Sociology PhD students). I hope you give it a shot! I have a referral code too, but that's not at all motivating this post!

I used to teach at Kaplan and was shocked by how much my students' scores improved from their assessment to their final practice test.  If grad school is your dream come true, and you end up not getting into any programs this cycle (keep hope alive), consider signing up for an in-person, classroom setting prep course.  Your GRE scores are the easiest portion of your application to improve in the shortest amount of time.  The courses are not cheap, but if money is tight, start setting aside $50/month now, and you'll have a little bit to put toward the course in the fall.  I think options like Magoosh are strong, but in my option, nothing beats being in a course, live, with the ability to ask your instructor questions tailored to your mistakes/weaknesses. If you have a lot of money to throw at the GRE, consider adding additional individual tutoring to the class.  

One more piece of advice for those of us who are already looking toward the next cycle--consider finding someone to work for as an RA, part-time if you already have a job. Preferably someone you are already friendly with.  That way, you will build another line on your CV re: research skills AND hopefully cultivate one more relationship that can lead to an excellent letter of recommendation.  Of course, once you start as an RA, be the best RA that professor has ever seen.  Totally over the top.  No typos to be seen in any of your correspondence or work product. Hand everything in early.  Before meeting with your professor, brainstorm questions related to the project to float with her so she gets a window into your own academic imagination.  This angle requires more thought and effort than improving your GRE score, but the letters of recommendation is another portion of your application that you can finesse between now and next cycle.

Goes without saying that SOP should be carefully edited and redrafted.  Any friends in the admissions office of your prior programs/in your social network?  Ask them to flip through your application in general, and SOP in particular, and they will be able to point to lots of points that you could improve as well.  Work your network for a plum RA position too.

Thanks guys- If I end up needing to apply again (4 schools to officially tell me no) it'll be just to focus on my quant score- my others were more than adequate to at least get my foot in the door- so I actually am looking at the online options (Magoosh specifically, it's good to hear that they were helpful!).  My quant score was a 146 the first time (really bad, but no prep) and so my goal would be to get it up 10 points.  And yes, as Sasha points out, I am also looking at working for someone's research for the next year- I've already got a letter drafted to start sending out to every professor and fellow grad student I've known to see who needs help.  The best thing I'll be able to do, though, along with getting my GRE up, will be to publish some of my thesis-there's lots of good/important stuff in there to share with the world. :) 

14 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

Hmm...I doubt that not being finished with your MA is the problem. Plenty of people apply in the middle of their second year, before they have graduated. And publications aren't necessary either. A bunch of people from my program have made it into top 20 PhD programs without having published. The low quant score does make some sense. It's what I'm dreading for myself as well...

I think it is probably the biggest thing.  I think even if they did look at my application my quant score would have been a red flag.  It was pretty bad- I should have retaken it (it was in the orignal plan and then my research got too big and I ran out of time).  Best of luck to you though- I mean we still have some apps out.  Who knows what will happen.  It also seems like a lot of programs were letting in smaller cohorts than normal which could have impacted our results. 

@bradley610 my subifield is povery, inequality, class, and policy.  I also fall under the bracket of health because I am interested in looking at how health policy impacts low income people.  I focused on mixed-methods programs. 

2 minutes ago, bradley610 said:

Maybe the issue is that your sociological subfields are pretty divergent from your prior academic training in anthropology. Would be very unfair, in my book, because you've demonstrated your aptitude, but it is a possibility.

Maybe programs viewed them that way?  My thesis was a mixed methods project that examined low income people who were choosing not to partake in traditional safety net programs.  So I am very well versed in the literature and the big reason I made the switch to sociology was because I ended up quoting/using more sociologists than anthropologists in my work.  You could be right though- I just didn't see the difference myself.  The two fields are so similar in theorists and methodologies that it just didn't occur to me.  Whatever it was when it comes to next year I will apply to both Anthroplogy and Sociology programs because I agree that it could be the case (it is incredibly ridiculous if it is).  

1 minute ago, bradley610 said:

That's just a bummer. It sounds like you've done almost everything you can to stand out. Hopefully you'll snag an acceptance soon.

It is life and it is going to unfold in unpredictable ways...but thanks :)

5 hours ago, montanem said:

My best guess: 

1. Low Quant GRE.  I should have retaken this and am totally kicking myself for not.  I was finishing my data analysis for my thesis this summer/writing this fall and just too busy so I applied w/ my scores from MA.  Now, seeing how many people apply and having read Posselt's book, well...this was probably my biggest mistake.  My guess is that most schools didn't even look at my application. 

2. Not having finished my MA, not having publications from MA.  I know everyone says publications aren't everything, but I think for people w/ MA's that it kind of is.  So I will be sending out articles from my thesis everywhere as soon as I defend (3/3!).  I think not having finished a thesis is also a big deal for programs.  They don't know what your situation is or what your work looks like- so submitting a conference paper for your writing sample isn't the same as being able to send in the discussion chapter of a thesis.  I put this all as one thing because I see it as rolled into one.

3. Maybe lack of prestige of uni's that I've attended?  This is one that I can't control and haven't really focused on.  I have excellent grades and if I can get published, do another conference this year, and maybe get some more research experience going then it shouldn't matter (I hope).  

I don't know.  These are my best guesses, hope the insight helps others.  I am only 26, so I am not going to give up hope yet- I know I am pretty young/early in my career so I'll apply again.

3.9 MA GPA

3 Conference Papers (Major conferences, 2 additional papers at small, department conference making 5 total), 1 Poster 

Hispanic (some people think this matters, I don't think it makes me any different in the application process).

What were your GRE scores if you don't mind me asking, and what schools did you apply to? 

Definitely check out Magoosh and the Manhattan Prep Quant series of books -- you'll see it in the required materials for the 6 month plan. Those two resources taught me the content (extremely well) and also helped me build strategy along the way. I started out getting 6/20 on my diagnostic and made it up to 157 which was good enough for Cornell at least (and considering I'm a qual person who wants to do mixed methods as well). Sorry Sasha but I would not recommend Kaplan - they will teach the content too quickly for a math beginner like you/us to absorb and it's very pricey. I would try to learn as much as you can using the above named resources - it can be done; set up a schedule in google drive and share it with a friend who will keep you accountable - and then shell out for a tutor if needed. I think you'll be surprised how much you'll learn and improve this way. With the Magoosh membership you can also email the expert tutors an unlimited number of times with questions. 

10 hours ago, montanem said:

My best guess: 

3.9 MA GPA

Grateful to hear about your experiences! I am in a similar boat and really hope that retaking the GRE (for my abysmal quant scores) and publishing two papers with my advisor will "fix" me up for next year. Also, my undergrad/MA uni has no prestige, but I've been told people really respect my advisor and that should translate well... however we also have different research focuses which may be confusing :S (she's environment, I'm gender). 

5 hours ago, PostmodernPendulum said:

What were your GRE scores if you don't mind me asking, and what schools did you apply to? 

Q146, V156, 4.5 

And I applied to Stanford, Berkley, UofMichigan, Michigan State, UofArizona, UofColorado, UNC, Duke (waitlisted), UTexas@Austin, UCDavis (still don't know about this one), PennState (also no word), Johns Hopkins (seems like a stretch), and WSU (no word).  

11 minutes ago, Aucitronvert said:

Grateful to hear about your experiences! I am in a similar boat and really hope that retaking the GRE (for my abysmal quant scores) and publishing two papers with my advisor will "fix" me up for next year. Also, my undergrad/MA uni has no prestige, but I've been told people really respect my advisor and that should translate well... however we also have different research focuses which may be confusing :S (she's environment, I'm gender). 

My advisor was gender and I am class/policy so I am in the same boat.  Let's hope publishing does the trick :)