After not hearing back from any programs...

vonnegutsaves

2 minutes ago, montanem said:

My advisor was gender and I am class/policy so I am in the same boat.  Let's hope publishing does the trick :)

I have gotten the advice from her and another environmental person in my department (who graduated from UofOregon) that I may need to switch focuses to be a more competitive candidate. This is a tangent since I don't think it applies to you! Gender has just gotten insanely competitive, so I may need to sneak it into a larger and more solicited focus.

50 minutes ago, montanem said:

Q146, V156, 4.5 

And I applied to Stanford, Berkley, UofMichigan, Michigan State, UofArizona, UofColorado, UNC, Duke (waitlisted), UTexas@Austin, UCDavis (still don't know about this one), PennState (also no word), Johns Hopkins (seems like a stretch), and WSU (no word).  

I still have yet to hear back from UC Davis as well or from UW (although I've pretty much told myself it's over at this point) *panicked laugh* haha but you sound pretty qualified to me, but I would agree with you on your GRE scores. If I were you I'd definitely shoot for 160 in both sections. Although, as we all know, the GRE does little to predict grad school success. Anyways, congrats on getting waitlisted. That in itself is an accomplishment when so many are completely rejected from grad school ever year. I'm sure if you don't get in though that you'll come back next year and kill it! 

3 hours ago, bradley610 said:

Those are mostly top-flight programs. By my count, roughly 10 of your 13 are ranked 30ish or higher, and none are ranked lower than 46th. The Duke wait list shows, to me at least, that you're a viable candidate. But these are tough programs to get into; it's just a very top-heavy list.

Yea, I agree with you that a lot are top flight programs- I didn't apply to anything ranked below 50 (I now kind of regret that).  I want to be a professor so I know my best shot at that is to go to one of the top tier schools...It can happen from a lower ranked program, but it will be harder.  When I apply next year I'll broaden my application list. 

10 hours ago, PostmodernPendulum said:

I still have yet to hear back from UC Davis as well or from UW (although I've pretty much told myself it's over at this point) *panicked laugh* haha but you sound pretty qualified to me, but I would agree with you on your GRE scores. If I were you I'd definitely shoot for 160 in both sections. Although, as we all know, the GRE does little to predict grad school success. Anyways, congrats on getting waitlisted. That in itself is an accomplishment when so many are completely rejected from grad school ever year. I'm sure if you don't get in though that you'll come back next year and kill it! 

Thanks :) Yes I will totally go back and retake them, they seem to be, at the very least, the first way that schools take us into account.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2017 at 6:49 PM, Jessica80 said:

Definitely check out Magoosh and the Manhattan Prep Quant series of books -- you'll see it in the required materials for the 6 month plan. Those two resources taught me the content (extremely well) and also helped me build strategy along the way. I started out getting 6/20 on my diagnostic and made it up to 157 which was good enough for Cornell at least (and considering I'm a qual person who wants to do mixed methods as well). Sorry Sasha but I would not recommend Kaplan - they will teach the content too quickly for a math beginner like you/us to absorb and it's very pricey. I would try to learn as much as you can using the above named resources - it can be done; set up a schedule in google drive and share it with a friend who will keep you accountable - and then shell out for a tutor if needed. I think you'll be surprised how much you'll learn and improve this way. With the Magoosh membership you can also email the expert tutors an unlimited number of times with questions. 

@Jessica80 this is an aside, but you're a qualitative person going to Cornell?  (I didn't know they really existed at the graduate level.)  Are you going to work with Mabel Berezin by any chance?