MS Statistics Programs Still Open

Taheel

Hey all,

I did not major in statistics and this year I applied to PhD programs in my major (chemistry). As I'm getting my acceptances for chemistry, I've realized that I'm more interested (and also qualified for) in pursuing MS Statistics programs (mostly because the MS Statistics yields many more opportunities than a PhD in chemistry). I would like to begin working on my Masters as soon as possible rather than waiting for Fall 2018, mostly because it seems like a waste to put it off for a year. 

Does anyone know of any generally solid programs that are still accepting applications for Fall 2017 or Spring 2018? I know that the University of Illinois is still accepting applications for both Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 but I haven't found any other than that.

Thanks!

Edited by Taheel

8 minutes ago, Taheel said:

Wow that was fast. I would love to go (back) to UNC, but I have never been interested in biology/biostats sadly.

Haha you caught me at a good time. 

That's understandable. I was pretty against biostatistics at first, thinking only statistics was my interest. But I flipped. The things you study are essentially identical, but (obviously) the applications are different (more bio-focused in biostatistics).

It's pretty late in the cycle to be applying right now. I'm sure most reputable programs would have closed their apps by now (I'm a little surprised U of I has not). Good luck though!

23 minutes ago, lynntoujours said:

You can try Columbia's MA Statistics Program (ranked 20ish I believe). No kidding, but their deadline is in April! 

Good shout, but I have heard some not so great things about the program. OP: If you search around these forums, there are a couple of threads you should read 

Thanks guys. I am wary of Columbia's program, specifically because it's so expensive and seems to not be as rigorous as I'd like.

Also, for the reference of future people reading this post, University of Minnesota's application is open until March 15th.

Edited by Taheel

University of Nevada, Reno has a funded masters program. Everything is housed in the Mathematics and Statistics department. They also just started a PhD program in Mathematics as well as in 'Statistics and Data Science' so good changes should be happening at the masters level. 

Edited by statbiostat2017

From the list of schools I've applied to for the fall:

Kennesaw State University - March 1st (Masters of Applied Statistics)

UIUC (Which you already mentioned)

Colorado State University - March 31st (Masters of Applied Statistics, on campus)