American MPA 2017

Anyone considering American as an option for next fall? I don't know a ton about the program and haven't had a chance to visit campus yet, so I would love to hear others' pros/cons of the program.

For a little context, I'm ~2 years out of undergrad and have been working in policy research in DC since then. I'm looking to make a shift into administration/management work, ideally focused on city management. Other schools I've applied to are NYU, GW, CMU, UNC and Pitt.

Fellow district resident, I'm considering it. If you're interested in staying in DC, the employment outcomes are stellar. Relatedly, they make it easy to work/intern and go to school at the same time. My impression of the school went way up after paying a visit, you should go check it out. 

Edited by margota

@margota Thank you! Any sense of employment opportunities beyond the DMV area with an MPA from American? My concern with American (and UNC and Pitt) is that it's a fairly regional school, and if I'm looking to eventually work in another major metro area it's not going to be as competitive a degree as one from NYU or GW or Carnegie Mellon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I have got an admit from Maxwell School, Syracuse University with around 2/3 funding for the total course. 1 yr course mpa. Fee .5 cr. I also have admits from Harris and SIPA without any scholarships. 2 year courses. Fee 1 cr. I am still awaiting results from Duke- Sanford, Lee Kuan - Singapore and Gerald Ford. Hertie reject.

I have a background of MBA in HR and have done skill development work in developing countries for around 2.5 years. In total i hold work experience of around 7 years.

It would be really nice if you could guide me to what options to choose.

• 11 months later...

Yes, I am pretty sure I'm going to American. I got waitlisted at GW and haven't heard back from Georgetown and University of Maryland. American's tuition is much cheaper than the other three and I received a scholarship from them. They have a 96% employment rate after graduation compared to Georgetown which is 91%. Another reason I am considering American is because they have a good reputation in government affairs and public service and the program has been around much longer than Georgetown. However I am still waiting to hear back from the other schools. I would eventually like to relocate to the west coast and work for the private sector and not sure how prestigious the school is in the private sector, that is the only concern I have. 

3 hours ago, itsgoingdowning said:

Has anyone heard anything from the University of Maryland? I have been accepted into a few other programs, but Maryland is the one I really want. Any information would be great!

I received acceptance letter from Maryland through online portal. No mention of funding yet. 

• 2 weeks later...