Anyone preemptively studying for a GRE retake?

I've only heard back from one of the schools to which I applied, but one of the weakest parts of my application this year, in my opinion, was my score in the quantitative section of the GRE. I really didn't do nearly enough to prepare for that section, so I ended up in the low 150s. I think I could do better than that with better preparation, but at the same time, I was pleased with my verbal score and am not really sure how much of a difference it would make even if I were to manage a 160-something in quantitative. I think I could also bring up my AW score because I didn't prepare for that section in any way, as I'd read that it didn't really matter. I'm wondering if any of you who're looking at MA programs who aren't wholly pleased with your scores, or those of you who may reapply, are considering retaking, or are already in the process of prepping for a retake. My thinking is that it might be worth it since I could always just go with my first score if I don't end up doing any better. Plus, if you look at some of the stats of people who're getting into top programs, they tend to be pretty good.

1 hour ago, 753982 said:

I've only heard back from one of the schools to which I applied, but one of the weakest parts of my application this year, in my opinion, was my score in the quantitative section of the GRE. I really didn't do nearly enough to prepare for that section, so I ended up in the low 150s. I think I could do better than that with better preparation, but at the same time, I was pleased with my verbal score and am not really sure how much of a difference it would make even if I were to manage a 160-something in quantitative. I think I could also bring up my AW score because I didn't prepare for that section in any way, as I'd read that it didn't really matter. I'm wondering if any of you who're looking at MA programs who aren't wholly pleased with your scores, or those of you who may reapply, are considering retaking, or are already in the process of prepping for a retake. My thinking is that it might be worth it since I could always just go with my first score if I don't end up doing any better. Plus, if you look at some of the stats of people who're getting into top programs, they tend to be pretty good.

Don't worry to much about the GRE. Of course having a higher score is ideal, but in terms of the whole application, it truly comes down to your writing sample (most important and solely in your control), GPA, letters, and your interests aligning with the school's interests. Also most schools hand out acceptances in late February to late March. 

If this helps, my GRE scores are shit. 154V/144Q (17th percentile lol)/4.5AW. I've heard back from only one school (Miami) and I have been accepted. Plus the relevance of quant in philosophy is not as proximal.

Edited by ApplyingToGradSchools

3 hours ago, 753982 said:

Your goal should be to put together the very best application that you possibly can. If you have the financial means and the time, and are committed to undertaking graduate-level study, you should absolutely be planning to retake the GRE. 

Remember that you are applying alongside some very intelligent and dedicated students. Depending on the programs to which you are applying, your application will be one of 100-300. Many people will tell you that the GRE isn't all that important, and they might be correct (in some cases). But the bottom line is that you don't want to give an admissions committee any reason to pass quickly over your application. Low scores can also be the reason you don't get offered that nice fellowship (they almost always go to applicants with excellent scores).

Plus, since ETS now allows you to pick which set of scores gets reported, there isn't much risk involved in trying again.

If you feel like you can do better, and it sounds like you do, you should give it a shot. Best of luck to you on the rest of your application season and beyond!

1 hour ago, Kingoftherats said:

Your goal should be to put together the very best application that you possibly can. If you have the financial means and the time, and are committed to undertaking graduate-level study, you should absolutely be planning to retake the GRE. 

Remember that you are applying alongside some very intelligent and dedicated students. Depending on the programs to which you are applying, your application will be one of 100-300. Many people will tell you that the GRE isn't all that important, and they might be correct (in some cases). But the bottom line is that you don't want to give an admissions committee any reason to pass quickly over your application. Low scores can also be the reason you don't get offered that nice fellowship (they almost always go to applicants with excellent scores).

Plus, since ETS now allows you to pick which set of scores gets reported, there isn't much risk involved in trying again.

If you feel like you can do better, and it sounds like you do, you should give it a shot. Best of luck to you on the rest of your application season and beyond!

Yeah, I think I largely agree. The question is if one agrees with the view of someone like Ian Faircloud (old regular on here), who claimed that if you're in the 160s in verbal and 150s in quantitative, that's good enough and you should focus on other things, and that even if your GREs are perfect it won't guarantee anything. Maybe he was right to think that it won't, but surely people with really impressive GRE scores get more fellowship money, and I would assume that there was something else about Ian's application that led to his not getting in to any of the schools to which he applied. 

3 hours ago, ApplyingToGradSchools said:

Don't worry to much about the GRE. Of course having a higher score is ideal, but in terms of the whole application, it truly comes down to your writing sample (most important and solely in your control), GPA, letters, and your interests aligning with the school's interests. Also most schools hand out acceptances in late February to late March. 

If this helps, my GRE scores are shit. 154V/144Q (17th percentile lol)/4.5AW. I've heard back from only one school (Miami) and I have been accepted. Plus the relevance of quant in philosophy is not as proximal.

Right - I would agree that those components should play a larger role, but I can only imagine how difficult it is as an adcom to try to discern who's better when considering, let's say, 20-30 strong applications, all of which have writing samples that have addressed a problem in a sophisticated way with clear writing, good reasoning, and so on. Having good GRE scores can only help, no? And I would disagree with the claim that those aspects are what it comes down to with respect to the whole application. Bad GRE scores relative to your competition are going to be a strike against you, and you'll probably have to really be strong elsewhere to make up for it. It affects your entire application.

For what it's worth: I had below average scores 161/144/5.5, and I got accepted with good funding into Tennessee and got waitlisted at Baylor, and am waiting to hear back from the other ten places - no rejections yet. 

The gamble pays off only if that year's admissions committee members happen to discount lower quant scores. I emailed the DGS for programs to which I applied to ask their perspective on the GRE - many said it didn't factor in their evaluation, others (including Baylor) said it did, which might in part explain why I didnt make the top of their list. 

It may also have helped that I'm already in a ranked PhD program with good grades.. 

14 hours ago, 753982 said:

I'm wondering if any of you who're looking at MA programs who aren't wholly pleased with your scores, or those of you who may reapply, are considering retaking, or are already in the process of prepping for a retake. 

Do you mean that you are primarily applying to MA programs this year? If so, from my experience, your scores might be just fine. It sounds like I may have had similar scores when I was applying to MA programs—I had 164 (v), 152 (q), 4.5 (aw)—and, I got into several MA programs when I was applying to them. And at the recommendation of a professor, during  my MA I retook the GRE to improve them for my PhD applications.

8 hours ago, goss said:

Why are you applying elsewhere if I may ask?

1) Changed my dissertation topic

2) Supervisor is apathetic 

3) Program doesn't care enough about placement 

4) Hostility between "analytic" and "continental" faculty, making the formation of a committee difficult for my topic

5) Not enough opportunities to teach your own courses 

Tennessee is not ranked as high as my current program, but it does significantly better on all of the preceding, most importantly placement - most (close to 80%) of its grads get TT appointments at LACs or even better (graduate from 2013 got tenured at UI-Bloomington). So I'd definitely take my chances there even if it's my only offer 

On 2/14/2017 at 8:31 AM, Swann said:

Do you mean that you are primarily applying to MA programs this year? If so, from my experience, your scores might be just fine. It sounds like I may have had similar scores when I was applying to MA programs—I had 164 (v), 152 (q), 4.5 (aw)—and, I got into several MA programs when I was applying to them. And at the recommendation of a professor, during  my MA I retook the GRE to improve them for my PhD applications.

Nope. I only applied to a couple MA programs. I was going to apply to a third, but its usual funding package doesn't seem like much to me given the area it's in, so I may not. I'll likely prep for a GRE retake if I get shut-out in PhD admissions - I agree that a higher quantitative score would help if I were to reapply in the future. 

Edited by 753982

On 2/13/2017 at 6:19 PM, 753982 said:

Plus, if you look at some of the stats of people who're getting into top programs, they tend to be pretty good.

I wonder how much the causation is going in either direction...

My first year I was rejected from 15 schools and that really hurt. Over the following summer, along with working on new applications, I paid roughly $500 for an online GRE course and completed the entire thing. I did a lot of studying and took multiple practice tests. I went in to the testing center the following October excited that I might get a really high score, or, minimally, raise my overall score by a few points, and did my absolute best.

I got the exact same score, V/Q/W. 

So there's that. Oh, and I was accepted last year into my dream program. :D