Oxford University 2017 Entry MPP Applicants?

Marqueetim

35 minutes ago, Marqueetim said:

Anyone out there applying to Oxford's MPP program for Fall 2017 entry? Has anyone heard anything yet?

Hey @Marqueetim, I applied for the programme in Dec 2016 and received an email asking for further information in early Jan 2017. Nothing further yet. What about you?

Edited by VTT777

On 2017/2/14 at 6:55 PM, Erudite said:

I also applied. Comparative Government (MPhil). Heard nothing yet. I completed my application in December.

Hey @Erudite, just got an email from Graduate Admissions and Funding Team asking for 2017-2018 Application Survey. I think it's an email sent to all applicants, but do you think this means anything? 

1 hour ago, VTT777 said:

Hey @Erudite, just got an email from Graduate Admissions and Funding Team asking for 2017-2018 Application Survey. I think it's an email sent to all applicants, but do you think this means anything? 

I got the email as well, and I applied to Late Antique and Byzantine Studies. I am trying to figure out what this means. Is it a hidden rejection? Or is it a sign of admission? Or are we just thinking too hard about it lol

56 minutes ago, Boabdil said:

I got the email as well, and I applied to Late Antique and Byzantine Studies. I am trying to figure out what this means. Is it a hidden rejection? Or is it a sign of admission? Or are we just thinking too hard about it lol

It really doesn't mean anything. It was sent to everyone, it's a survey aimed at collecting info on how they can improve their processes.

9 hours ago, Boabdil said:

LOL. Seems that we think too much about it. Well, to look at it from a bright side, no rejection is good implication. Cheers!

On 2/14/2017 at 8:29 AM, VTT777 said:

Hey @Marqueetim, I applied for the programme in Dec 2016 and received an email asking for further information in early Jan 2017. Nothing further yet. What about you?

nothing yet. Applied few days to January 20th Deadline

Hey everyone - I also applied on Jan. 20th for Blavatnik MPP and haven't heard anything back yet. Hope to hear something soon! What are your profiles? Below is mine: 

Undergrad: NYU (Class of 2016) - double honors in Econ & IR 

GPA: 3.71 (cum laude) 

GRE: 319 (160 Q 159 V) 

Years of work experience: 1 (UN, consulting) 

Extracurriculars: started a $3.3 million NGO operating in home country, developing a political app, led 2 student clubs while in university 

Post-MPP goals: civil service at the UN (offer received) & long-term public policy in home country (Tajikistan) 

On 2/16/2017 at 7:48 PM, Boabdil said:

Like Capplicant said, it means nothing. It was just a generic email sent to everyone by the Oxford Graduate Admissions Office to get feedback from the current applicants. 

19 hours ago, bobcat2016 said:

Hey everyone - I also applied on Jan. 20th for Blavatnik MPP and haven't heard anything back yet. Hope to hear something soon! What are your profiles? 

I applied to the MPP (I'll also apply to the 1+1 program at Said) on the 20th (just a few minutes under the official deadline!), here's my profile:

Undergrad (straight out of undergrad): International Relations, 3.9 (3.8 CGPA) from a Swiss University--Summa Cum Laude and Valedictorian 

GRE: N/A

Work Experience: 1.5 years at my Country's Mission to the U.N. in Geneva + 3 months in NY; 6 Months at a development consultancy; 4 months at a think tank

ECs: Multiple publications; finished 3rd at the Atlantic Council's Cyber 9/12 Case Competition

Post-MPP goals: Public sector consultancy

Where else are you applying?

Edited by LePilot

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 4:27 PM, VTT777 said:

I got it too. Can't say if it means anything. Guess we'll still have to wait it out. 

Hello! I applied for MPP as well! Got the email regarding the survey too but doubt that it means anything! Finger crossed people! I have been feeling so nervous since application!

Here's my profile:

Undergrad: Medicine, Surgery, Arts of Obstetrics (fresh out of undergrad) purcsi Minor in economics module (2:1) sussex

Work experiences: freelance translator. Ex-Broadway performer for 1.5 years. cultural ambassador.

EC: multiple scholarship awards, Euclid Maths top 25%, health screening volunteer, NGO volunteer.

Post MPP goals: doctor/policymaker in developing countries.

Applied to only Oxf postgrad so far! 

Finger crossed finger crossed finger crossed! I hope I'm not the only one feeling so nervous! :unsure:

47 minutes ago, Piefu said:

Finger crossed finger crossed finger crossed! I hope I'm not the only one feeling so nervous! 

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a countdown to March 17th (24 Days to go!).

Also, in case anyone hasn't seen BSG admissions' blog update: http://blogs.bsg.ox.ac.uk/2017/02/15/admissions-update-what-happens-next/

Main take-aways: 1) 762 applicants this year; 2) No interviews.

Aghhh the wait is excruciating!! The fact that there are no interviews this year makes it quite a mystery. From previous years, it seems that the final yield is about an average of 65%, which means that we can expect anywhere in the ballpark of 185 offers for the >760 applicants (roughly 25% rate). Quite competitive still! 

On 27/02/2017 at 5:14 AM, bobcat2016 said:

Aghhh the wait is excruciating!! The fact that there are no interviews this year makes it quite a mystery. From previous years, it seems that the final yield is about an average of 65%, which means that we can expect anywhere in the ballpark of 185 offers for the >760 applicants (roughly 25% rate). Quite competitive still! 

On the blog it says for '120 places' so the offers are not going to be more than that unfortunately :( I'm very nervous and I'm feeling very negative sadly. 

Hi all, 

I'm 22 (and I'm from the UK)- in my final year of law school. (During my studies) I have worked for the BBC, Guardian, Independent & other national/international papers. I've worked for a government in a foreign (developing) country for 6 months where I helped with the creation of policies. I've done some humanitarian work in the past and I've launched some exciting projects. I know that most people who have applied have years of experience but I clearly don't- hence I'm so anxious for the 17th.

Let me know what you guys think- be honest and brutal haha 

On 3/5/2017 at 8:17 PM, mppappOX said:

Hi all, 

I'm 22 (and I'm from the UK)- in my final year of law school. (During my studies) I have worked for the BBC, Guardian, Independent & other national/international papers. I've worked for a government in a foreign (developing) country for 6 months where I helped with the creation of policies. I've done some humanitarian work in the past and I've launched some exciting projects. I know that most people who have applied have years of experience but I clearly don't- hence I'm so anxious for the 17th.

Wait, where is your law degree from? I am just curious... Why don't you just practice law right off the bat? Let me know your GPA and I will let you know what your chances are. 

On 3/5/2017 at 8:07 PM, mppappOX said:

On the blog it says for '120 places' so the offers are not going to be more than that unfortunately :( I'm very nervous and I'm feeling very negative sadly. 

120 is the number of 'places available' - not all those who are offered places actually take them, so the number offers will be around 185 based on previous years' data 

On 3/5/2017 at 8:17 PM, mppappOX said:

Hi all, 

Age shouldn't be a problem! The age range is 21-51 for the class that entered last year. I myself just turned 20 (graduated from NYU last year when I was 19). I don't think you should worry much about it! 

18 hours ago, bobcat2016 said:

120 is the number of 'places available' - not all those who are offered places actually take them, so the number offers will be around 185 based on previous years' data 

I think 120 will probably be the number of initial offers sent out with potentially 65±10 on a waitlist. This way, they don't risk having 185 people accepting the offers (regardless of yield statistics). 

On 3/6/2017 at 4:17 AM, mppappOX said:

Hi all, 

If It helps, I'm 22 too! I know you want to get some feedback to assuage (or exacerbate) your concerns, but the fact is, at this point, it really doesn't matter. The 17th is just over a week away and you'll get your answer soon enough! None of us can really tell you what they're looking for. So, don't worry about it too much--I'm sure you'll do well! 

Hi everyone! I had not  seen the blog update, thank you for sharing that. Counting days to the 17th too, I was kind of hoping they'd announce a little sooner (A friend got her denial letter from other Oxford program about two weeks before the date) so...
It will probably be the 17th though. So close yet so far away!
I am also very much impressed with the profiles I read here, you guys rock! (and perhaps a bit intimidated as well). Wish you all the best! Fingers very much crossed!!  

20 hours ago, bobcat2016 said:

Can't wait either!! Just heard back from Harvard Kennedy School yesterday - accepted for MPP! Definitely makes the wait less stressful - less than 9 days left! 

Congratulations!!! :)

"Ready for assessment in January Deadline :
Your application can be or has been considered by the relevant academic department. The Graduate Admissions websiteprovides further information on the graduate admissions timetable and process"

They read my application... Know that and need to wait is the worst part