Starting a PhD Program Long after Undergrad

2017 Applicant

haha, I graduated from College six years ago. If there is any indication, Harvard's cohort last year had a mean age of 28. So, if that is representative, then I believe it would be fair to say you'd have peers close your age. Also, I believe that many people in education apply with work experience

@forgetful26 Thanks! I thought there might be a good chance of the mean age being older than most programs, since (like you mentioned) a lot of the programs I looked at mentioned experience as being a positive. Not all of them did though, and in fact I talked to two graduates of the program I'm likely to attend and they both jumped in right after doing BS/BA work. It's nice to have a concrete statistic to go on.

For graduate programs, I've always thought anything goes when it comes to age. To me, it smarter to attend graduate school with a few years of "real world" experience under your belt because you'd be a bringing new, diverse perspective to the department. I've known people to go straight from undergrad to graduate school, but most people I came  across took time in between. I waited a few years after undergrad to apply for my Master's, and I was really glad I did. I felt that I was at an advantage because I was a bit older than some of the students in the program and had experience with the topics in my classes. Also, I was much more responsible and self-aware. After my Master's, I went into teaching higher education in Chicago, and five years later, I'm applying for my Ph.D. in education. I think there may be more people in your same boat than what you might think! 

I will be starting 7 years after I graduated from college! I think there will be plenty of people like us and that we are in good company.

Depends on the program, but Ed PhD students tend to be a little older than those in other fields. I've known plenty who started in their 30s or 40s. Late 20s seems most common.