8 minutes ago, FeetInTheSky said:

Well, things have just gotten rather complicated for me... just got an email from UMASS Amherst and learned that I am at the "very top" of the wait list... They're my #1 program and I would love to go, but Nebraska (my #1 program until six minutes ago) needs an answer from me by March 15. My nightmare scenario is, of course, finding out that I get into UMASS on March 16. 

I guess this is a long way of saying that if you're in at UMASS Amherst and you have always admired the wit and goodwill in my posts and thought to yourself, "Wow,I wish there was a way to become this person's friend..." your opportunity is here!

I'm not sure if someone already asked you this, but how is Nebraska asking you for a decision that early? 

Also, congrats! I know it makes things more complicated, but excellent news regardless!

Edited by engphiledu

7 minutes ago, FeetInTheSky said:

Well, things have just gotten rather complicated for me... just got an email from UMASS Amherst and learned that I am at the "very top" of the wait list... They're my #1 program and I would love to go, but Nebraska (my #1 program until six minutes ago) needs an answer from me by March 15. My nightmare scenario is, of course, finding out that I get into UMASS on March 16. 

I guess this is a long way of saying that if you're in at UMASS Amherst and you have always admired the wit and goodwill in my posts and thought to yourself, "Wow,I wish there was a way to become this person's friend..." your opportunity is here!

Congratulations! 

Have you thought about letting UNL know about your situation? Perhaps they would offer you some flexibility.

Also, do you know if you would be funded at UMass if you did get off the waitlist? If not, then you may want to accept at UNL anyway. 

@FeetInTheSky The helpful document @eatthatbee shared also states: "In those instances in which a student accepts an offer before April 15, and subsequently desires to withdraw that acceptance, the student may submit in writing a resignation of the appointment at any time through April 15. However, an acceptance given or left in force after April 15 commits the student not to accept another offer without first obtaining a written release from the institution to which a commitment has been made." So, I would guess that you could accept your UNL offer by their deadline and then withdraw your acceptance if you get into UMASS any time before April 15th. 

38 minutes ago, engphiledu said:

I'm not sure if someone already asked you this, but how is Nebraska asking you for a decision that early?

26 minutes ago, eatthatbee said:

I don't think UN-L can ask for a decision prior to April 15 according to the CGS Resolution. You can find the document here: < http://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/CGSResolution_Jan2017.pdf >

13 minutes ago, anxiousgrad said:

So, I would guess that you could accept your UNL offer by their deadline and then withdraw your acceptance if you get into UMASS any time before April 15th. 

All of this.

You'll want to be careful with how you word your email to UNL (and you should indeed contact them). Be very polite, of course, but you'll want to ascertain why they are requesting a decision prior to April 15th. You may want to mention that you feel that you need more time to make an informed decision, and that while you are extremely interested in UNL's program, there are other options that you would like to explore.

They should be understanding. This is a huge decision, of course. Bear in mind that they have their own agenda as well (I mean "agenda" in the most innocent sense of the word). They want to have the best idea of their numbers as possible as soon as they can, so creating their own deadline will help with that, even if it might not be "binding," per se. I'd be curious to read exactly how they worded their "decision by March 15th" request. I'm willing to bet that it's more of a formal request than a requirement.

On 2/27/2017 at 11:04 AM, la_mod said:

Hey, UCLA has 10 people on the waitlist! They didn't give me details about what the concentrations were, but yeah. FYI. 20th centurty people, help me out. Please. 

Thanks for the info! I'm also in this position, though I'm leaning toward the two "in the hand" offers I have--just because I don't want to stress over something that may never happen. Still, good to know!

On 3/3/2017 at 11:28 PM, cj cregg said:

I emailed and asked. It sounded like they were still making their way through decisions, though, because they were unsure how soon they could answer me about the status. Might be worth a try!

I just got waitlisted at Iowa today, have you guys heard anything yet?? Trying to figure out just how long this waitlist might be!! 

2 hours ago, eliza_winter said:

HAHA, add me to the pile of Iowa waitlists! @Peppermint&Rooibos I'd be super curious to hear what they say about details!  I'm a bit 'hmmmm' because the waitlist seems to be quite long, judging by how many of us there are here on GC!

I asked them about my position on the waitlist, likelihood of admission, timeline, etc. and he responded that he couldn't tell me my exact position but that he could tell me a general position/likelihood and suggested that I should expect to hear more info very soon. Perhaps email him as well (if you haven't already done so)? It was an informative email, for sure.

9 hours ago, Old Bill said:

So I just got waitlisted at UNC...

I really thought that I was "done" for this application cycle, but having two waitlist options in play might make things interesting...

Congrats. Strode and UNC do make for an interesting cycle. :)

I am now waitlisted at UNC and Rutgers. I had thought that Rutgers was my last hope this cycle, but it turns out UNC's acceptances are much, much later than I thought. I'm a little frustrated that I have only received waitlists this cycle, but they are both wonderful programs and strong fits for me. Hopefully one of them pans outs...

4 minutes ago, englishgrad2017 said:

I am now waitlisted at UNC and Rutgers. I had thought that Rutgers was my last hope this cycle, but it turns out UNC's acceptances are much, much later than I thought. I'm a little frustrated that I have only received waitlists this cycle, but they are both wonderful programs and strong fits for me. Hopefully one of them pans outs...

For what it's worth, I'm guessing (and be assured that it is JUST a guess) that UNC's waitlist is era / specialization-based. That's what I'm inferring from how the waitlist notification is worded...specifically the fact that it's an "unranked" waitlist. I might be wrong, but I can't think of how an unranked waitlist would work were it not governed by specific factors like era etc. Not sure this speculation is at all helpful, but...maybe it is? Good luck to you either way!

13 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

For what it's worth, I'm guessing (and be assured that it is JUST a guess) that UNC's waitlist is era / specialization-based. That's what I'm inferring from how the waitlist notification is worded...specifically the fact that it's an "unranked" waitlist. I might be wrong, but I can't think of how an unranked waitlist would work were it not governed by specific factors like era etc. Not sure this speculation is at all helpful, but...maybe it is? Good luck to you either way!

@englishgrad2017 Rutgers also has an unranked waitlist that's based on your area, just as a fyi. 

1 minute ago, ProfessionalNerd said:

@englishgrad2017 Rutgers also has an unranked waitlist that's based on your area, just as a fyi. 

15 minutes ago, Old Bill said:

@Old Bill I agree with you that it seems likely that getting off the waitlist is based off of era/specialization. Good luck to you as well! 

@ProfessionalNerd I didn't know that, but that makes sense! Thanks!

Any idea on when waitlists start moving? Have people out there in the real world already started snagging waitlist spots? Is it still too early? I have a feeling that waitlist offers will go out after programs are through with their prospie visit days, which will give them a better idea about who is accepting offers, etc. My own dgs said she got into her phd program on April 15, after being rejected/waitlisted everywhere. There might be hope yet.

2 minutes ago, jungThug said:

Any idea on when waitlists start moving? Have people out there in the real world already started snagging waitlist spots? Is it still too early? I have a feeling that waitlist offers will go out after programs are through with their prospie visit days, which will give them a better idea about who is accepting offers, etc. My own dgs said she got into her phd program on April 15, after being rejected/waitlisted everywhere. There might be hope yet.

While it probably varies by program, it's usually the case that waitlist movement depends primarily on the rejection of offers. Some folks on GC have already gotten in off of waitlists...one of whom was notified a few hours after another admitted student said he rejected an offer from the same program. In other words, after someone rejects an offer, the next person on the waitlist (depending how the waitlist is structured) is typically notified shortly thereafter. 

14 hours ago, eatthatbee said:

That partner is me! Like @cj cregg said, if you're a medievalist who has been accepted at the University of Iowa and you don't intend to accept their offer, please decline as soon as possible! 

@cj cregg and I would like to attend the same school and this would give us an opportunity to do so!

Hoping that works out for you guys!! So @cj cregg, you've been accepted to Iowa? Can I ask what your area is? 

On 3/6/2017 at 10:39 AM, FeetInTheSky said:

Hey @FeetInTheSky! I was in your shoes with UNL's MA two years ago. I asked them politely if they could give me another week until I had finished campus visits, and they were really nice about it. I think their early deadline stems from wanting to not leave people on the waitlist hanging for too long:) They're a great program...you've got some exciting possibilities!

1 hour ago, readwriterun said:

Hey @FeetInTheSky! I was in your shoes with UNL's MA two years ago. I asked them politely if they could give me another week until I had finished campus visits, and they were really nice about it. I think their early deadline stems from wanting to not leave people on the waitlist hanging for too long:) They're a great program...you've got some exciting possibilities!

Thanks for saying so! I sent an email last night so hopefully something will come of it. I totally understand their perspective and, as someone on a waitlist, see the need to get answers to people quickly... but I do wish everyone was on the same page! 

Thanks for the support, everyone. I really appreciate it!

Does someone know anything about Riverside waitlist or rejections? A rejection was listed yesterday by someone who said they contacted the coordinator. I sent an e-mail to the director, like 2 weeks ago, and haven't heard anything since. Should I sent another inquiry about my app, or would that be rude? At least two people were notified about the decision upon e-mailing (one waitlist and one rejection), and I am losing my mind over here.