2 hours ago, Yanaka said:

What's the questioooooooneuh ? I'm not expecting anything at all :P 

2 hours ago, orphic_mel528 said:

I wish I could live up to the GC experienced moniker, but this is my first go-round as well, and I wasn't waitlisted anywhere. Hope you all hear something soon.

Sorry about that!!! But thank you both for responding and thank you @Old Bill for the insight! 

2 minutes ago, LurkyLurker said:

Sorry about that!!! But thank you both for responding and thank you @Old Bill for the insight! 

Yeah, it's my first round, too! Patience, patience-euh we said-euh (yes, I'm trying to French-accent this thing). 

33 minutes ago, Yanaka said:

Yeah, it's my first round, too! Patience, patience-euh we said-euh (yes, I'm trying to French-accent this thing). 

Oh I see! Honestly I just scrolled through a few pages and looked for people with the most circles next to their names :lol: 

Are you applying from undergrad then? How has it been for you?? 

5 minutes ago, LurkyLurker said:

Oh I see! Honestly I just scrolled through a few pages and looked for people with the most circles next to their names :lol: 

Are you applying from undergrad then? How has it been for you?? 

No prob! It's not been going very well for now, but I'm still waiting on results. Yes, I applied from undergrad (I'm still finishing my BA) and applied to only a few schools out of the top ten, so I got a little carried away there :lol: 

Y'all should see some movement for Buffalo, Pittsburgh and Riverside. I was fully funded at all three, so I'm hoping that some admitted people see some funding movement :) . They are amazing programs, and I sincerely hope that one of y'all get a spot there. 

I also removed myself from all waitlist spots. 

Good luck to everyone!! 

Hey all! Anyone have any advice on re-contacting schools you're waitlisted at? (After I was initially waitlisted I exchanged several nice emails with the grad chair.) Foremost, should you even poke them about this or is considered a bother? And secondly, is there any best method for going about it in a delicate way?  This specific school couldn't give me any info about their waitlist (where I was on it, what type of waitlist they do), so I wonder if it's invasive to inquire again?  On the other hand, their visiting day just passed I believe, and I also want to express my continued interest in the school (it's an all eggs are in this basket scenario).  Any advice anyone has would be great!  :wub:

On March 13, 2017 at 1:46 PM, t. slothrop said:

Hello, lovely GCers! What a wild ride this application season has been. My hope is that all of you viewing this forum have had success since being waitlisted!

I have been waitlisted at Washington State and the University of Utah's Ph.D. programs. After doing some perusing, I noticed that neither of these programs made it onto this forum. So, I figured that I would do a cold-call. Is anyone else awaiting responses from these programs? Anyone sitting on an offer for either?

I think Utah's program is absolutely amazing. After calling the DGS, I was told that he would be "very, very surprised if I didn't receive a call by April 15th." Washington State's email was very vague, and the DGS has yet to return my call.

Best of luck to all the others in this predicament!

Hi there! I will actually be turning down my offer from Washington State--I applied to both critical and creative writing PhDs and have decided to go the creative writing route. However, I'm still waiting on my "official" letter in the mail. The DGS said that the entire office got sick and everything has been delayed, so that probably explains your lack of call. I told myself that I would wait for all my offers to come in before making my final decision, but I think I'll email them soon.

Sounds like you're really waiting on Utah (I'm actually waitlisted there too, but in the creative writing department!) so hopefully those lines start moving soon too.

2 hours ago, cheldorado said:

Hey all! Anyone have any advice on re-contacting schools you're waitlisted at? (After I was initially waitlisted I exchanged several nice emails with the grad chair.) Foremost, should you even poke them about this or is considered a bother? And secondly, is there any best method for going about it in a delicate way?  This specific school couldn't give me any info about their waitlist (where I was on it, what type of waitlist they do), so I wonder if it's invasive to inquire again?  On the other hand, their visiting day just passed I believe, and I also want to express my continued interest in the school (it's an all eggs are in this basket scenario).  Any advice anyone has would be great!  :wub:

Mostly commenting because I want to hear people's answers to this. I'm waitlisted, I know that I am second on the waitlist, but I haven't heard anything in about a week. One part of me knows that probably means that nothing has changed in the last week, but another part of me wants to check in. I've considered checking in under a different pretense (by asking some specific, unrelated questions about the program), but I don't know how obvious that would be.

2 hours ago, cheldorado said:

Like Cheldorado & anxiousgrad, I would love to hear advise on this subject.

I am also wait-listed.  I have spoken to my professor of interest a few times after my interview to express my gratitude and inquire about my application status.  All I know is that I am wait-listed, but nothing about the size of the list or where I am on it.  I was thinking about reaching out again on April 1st.  My reasoning behind that date is that most offers will be out, many for a while, and people will have had a chance to think about them as well as possibly respond to them.  I hope that this request will come close enough to the response due date, April 15th, to allow for some movement on the list (for a more accurate judgement of my likelihood of acceptance) but not past the time I can express my interest once more before all decisions are final.  My last contact with this university was at the end of February. I'm not sure if waiting until April is too long or contacting them again in general is just too much.

5 hours ago, anxiousgrad said:

Mostly commenting because I want to hear people's answers to this. I'm waitlisted, I know that I am second on the waitlist, but I haven't heard anything in about a week. One part of me knows that probably means that nothing has changed in the last week, but another part of me wants to check in. I've considered checking in under a different pretense (by asking some specific, unrelated questions about the program), but I don't know how obvious that would be.

I think your answer is in the question: it's been about a week. Give it more time! :) 

Edited by Yanaka

2 hours ago, LurkyLurker said:

Hi everyone! How are the waitlist situations coming along? I think @KikiDelivery was accepted into the University of Iowa from the waitlist so there's some movement there! If anyone else has had success so far, let us know. I want to live vicariously through you :lol:

I was also accepted at Iowa off of the waitlist, but I'll most likely be turning down their offer. I anticipate making my final decision very soon, so hopefully that helps someone out!  

2 hours ago, LurkyLurker said:

Hi everyone! How are the waitlist situations coming along? I think @KikiDelivery was accepted into the University of Iowa from the waitlist so there's some movement there! If anyone else has had success so far, let us know. I want to live vicariously through you :lol:

I also wanna see more people getting in off waitlist so I can persevere through these hellish four weeks waiting ahead of me...ahh wish I could find a portal to a month later. 

12 hours ago, Peppermint&Rooibos said:

I was also accepted at Iowa off of the waitlist, but I'll most likely be turning down their offer. I anticipate making my final decision very soon, so hopefully that helps someone out!  

Nice!! What programs are you choosing between? And I'd love to know what your area is, if you don't mind :) 

I wanted to inform everyone that I've declined offers to attend University of Florida, Stony Brook University, Michigan State, and Marquette.

I hope this helps, and I will make sure to inform everyone whenever I decline two of the remaining 3.