Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Scarlet A+

Waitlist Movement

188 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, cheldorado said:

Hey all! Anyone have any advice on re-contacting schools you're waitlisted at? (After I was initially waitlisted I exchanged several nice emails with the grad chair.) Foremost, should you even poke them about this or is considered a bother? And secondly, is there any best method for going about it in a delicate way?  This specific school couldn't give me any info about their waitlist (where I was on it, what type of waitlist they do), so I wonder if it's invasive to inquire again?  On the other hand, their visiting day just passed I believe, and I also want to express my continued interest in the school (it's an all eggs are in this basket scenario).  Any advice anyone has would be great!  :wub:

Mostly commenting because I want to hear people's answers to this. I'm waitlisted, I know that I am second on the waitlist, but I haven't heard anything in about a week. One part of me knows that probably means that nothing has changed in the last week, but another part of me wants to check in. I've considered checking in under a different pretense (by asking some specific, unrelated questions about the program), but I don't know how obvious that would be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cheldorado said:

Hey all! Anyone have any advice on re-contacting schools you're waitlisted at? (After I was initially waitlisted I exchanged several nice emails with the grad chair.) Foremost, should you even poke them about this or is considered a bother? And secondly, is there any best method for going about it in a delicate way?  This specific school couldn't give me any info about their waitlist (where I was on it, what type of waitlist they do), so I wonder if it's invasive to inquire again?  On the other hand, their visiting day just passed I believe, and I also want to express my continued interest in the school (it's an all eggs are in this basket scenario).  Any advice anyone has would be great!  :wub:

Like Cheldorado & anxiousgrad, I would love to hear advise on this subject.

I am also wait-listed.  I have spoken to my professor of interest a few times after my interview to express my gratitude and inquire about my application status.  All I know is that I am wait-listed, but nothing about the size of the list or where I am on it.  I was thinking about reaching out again on April 1st.  My reasoning behind that date is that most offers will be out, many for a while, and people will have had a chance to think about them as well as possibly respond to them.  I hope that this request will come close enough to the response due date, April 15th, to allow for some movement on the list (for a more accurate judgement of my likelihood of acceptance) but not past the time I can express my interest once more before all decisions are final.  My last contact with this university was at the end of February. I'm not sure if waiting until April is too long or contacting them again in general is just too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, waitinwishin said:

Did Brown already have their accepted student's weekend? 

I was not able to attend, but it was scheduled for this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, anxiousgrad said:

Mostly commenting because I want to hear people's answers to this. I'm waitlisted, I know that I am second on the waitlist, but I haven't heard anything in about a week. One part of me knows that probably means that nothing has changed in the last week, but another part of me wants to check in. I've considered checking in under a different pretense (by asking some specific, unrelated questions about the program), but I don't know how obvious that would be.

I think your answer is in the question: it's been about a week. Give it more time! :) 

Edited by Yanaka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, claritus said:

I was not able to attend, but it was scheduled for this week. 

Thank you! 

Edited by waitinwishin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone! How are the waitlist situations coming along? I think @KikiDelivery was accepted into the University of Iowa from the waitlist so there's some movement there! If anyone else has had success so far, let us know. I want to live vicariously through you :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LurkyLurker said:

Hi everyone! How are the waitlist situations coming along? I think @KikiDelivery was accepted into the University of Iowa from the waitlist so there's some movement there! If anyone else has had success so far, let us know. I want to live vicariously through you :lol:

I was also accepted at Iowa off of the waitlist, but I'll most likely be turning down their offer. I anticipate making my final decision very soon, so hopefully that helps someone out!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LurkyLurker said:

Hi everyone! How are the waitlist situations coming along? I think @KikiDelivery was accepted into the University of Iowa from the waitlist so there's some movement there! If anyone else has had success so far, let us know. I want to live vicariously through you :lol:

I also wanna see more people getting in off waitlist so I can persevere through these hellish four weeks waiting ahead of me...ahh wish I could find a portal to a month later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Peppermint&Rooibos said:

I was also accepted at Iowa off of the waitlist, but I'll most likely be turning down their offer. I anticipate making my final decision very soon, so hopefully that helps someone out!  

Nice!! What programs are you choosing between? And I'd love to know what your area is, if you don't mind :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to inform everyone that I've declined offers to attend University of Florida, Stony Brook University, Michigan State, and Marquette.

I am leaving Pittsburgh, Colorado, and Iowa as potential options still!

I hope this helps, and I will make sure to inform everyone whenever I decline two of the remaining 3.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, KikiDelivery said:

I wanted to inform everyone that I've declined offers to attend University of Florida, Stony Brook University, Michigan State, and Marquette.

I am leaving Pittsburgh, Colorado, and Iowa as potential options still!

I hope this helps, and I will make sure to inform everyone whenever I decline two of the remaining 3.

 

 

 

1 hour ago, Peppermint&Rooibos said:

I turned down my offer at Iowa yesterday afternoon. I hope that helps (or has already helped) one of you out!

Thanks for keeping us anxious waiters posted!! 

 I also saw on the results board that someone got accepted to Riverside off the wait list--hoping it was one of you guys @cj cregg @eatthatbee or soon will be!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if you get an extended time to decide on your school if you get accepted off a waitlist around now, or in the coming weeks?  That is, would you still have to make your decision by April 15 if you were extended admission at the beginning of April, for example?

I'm waitlisted at three schools, one of which is a top-choice program for me but couldn't give me any information on my place at the waitlist (also a very good school, so I'm guessing fewer people turn it down).  My worry is that I'll get accepted at one of the other two sooner, and have to make a decision by April 15 when I may not hear from my top choice until after that :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Said123 said:

Hi! Anyone heard back from UT Austin's waitlist? OR is declining their offer?

Rhet/Comp or Lit? I have a buddy who just officially accepted for Rhet/Comp, and the way I understand it they only accept about 2 ppl per year--of course, she could have been exaggerating about that number... :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ratanegra19, for Lit! Sorry, didn't specify. I think they recently(?) had their prospective student week(end) & am wondering if people are going to start making their final decisions pretty soon here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I contacted Ole Miss to get a rough estimation of when to expect an answer, and they told me that I am #5 in a 12 person wait list. I could not be more excited. I know it's risky to my emotions, but with all of the people I see waiting to reject their many offers until closer to the deadline, I'm taking this as an acceptance. Eeee! 

... In other news, was anyone accepted for their English MA program that doesn't plan to attend? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2017 at 9:24 PM, shoestofollow said:

I will likely be declining a funded offer from Indiana-Bloomington, as I am leaning strongly toward UW-Madison. I hope someone from here gets my spot!

Did you already decline? I'm secretly hoping that you're the person ahead of me on this interdepartmental fellowship I'm waitlisted for...ugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wanted to let y'all know I'll be removing myself from the Minnesota and Rochester wait lists today--I've decided on UBC for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the previously unthinkable today and declined a likely funded offer from Nebraska-Lincoln. Here's hoping someone from here gets my spot!
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently turned down a fully funded offer from IU with a first year fellowship. Will also soon be turning down a fully funded offer from the University of Washington, also with a first year fellowship. I've also withdrawn myself from the UCSB wait list. Hope people waiting from these schools see some movement! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RydraWong said:

I recently turned down a fully funded offer from IU with a first year fellowship. Will also soon be turning down a fully funded offer from the University of Washington, also with a first year fellowship. I've also withdrawn myself from the UCSB wait list. Hope people waiting from these schools see some movement! 

 

I'm one of those people waiting for IU's first-year fellowship. If I hear something soon, I'll be thanking you =D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, positivitize said:

Uh... holy shit. IU just funded my first year! Thank you @RydraWong!!

Oh my gosh, how excellent!! So stoked that you got the fellowship, it really was a nice offer and I was sorry to turn it down. Will you be heading to Bloomington for sure in the fall?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow @positivitize that's awesome! :) Congrats. (And how awesome to actually see the process in action, re: that you received the fellowship @RydraWong gave up.) 

I'm still on the waitlist at IU, fingers crossed. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now