Comparison of Schools in Virginia, UVa, VTech, VCU

FailedScientist

Anyone in any of the biology/biomedical graduate programs at these universities or with any insight about these institutes? I am an international so it's hard to know how these schools are viewed in the US. Rankings-wise they all seem to be mid-tier, with decent reputations. Any other insights on biotech industry and living standards in the surrounding areas would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Hey, I don't live in VA so my info is second-hand, and I'm more on the ecology side than biomedical, so I can't speak for specific program reputation. Also, I know nothing about the biotech industry. But since no one else has answered...

The general ranking order for those schools (the whole school reputation, not speaking on specific programs) would be UVA>VTech>VCU. That's just based on general name recognition/perception, but do take it with a grain of salt for all the reasons I said. (Anybody with greater insight into VA schools, feel free to chime in!)

I know VCU has a fairly well-regarded medical school. UVA is well-regarded all the way around(including their medical school). VTech is no slouch either, but I'd say UVA comes out on top in terms of 'prestige'. UVA also has the more active alumni network of the three.

VCU is right in Richmond, so if you like city life that's what I'd pick. Richmond is a nice mid-sized city, but it comes with typical city problems with higher housing costs, traffic, crime, congestion, etc. But it's definitely not NYC or LA in terms of cost of living, traffic, crime, or congestion! Which is to say, those things would be a factor, but not a huge one. I'd say Richmond would be the more expensive place to live of the three, but maybe the most fun? Car recommended, but if you lived close to campus, you could maybe get by without one.

UVA's surroundings are suburban, and I know nothing about them. Probably in the middle in terms of cost of living/fun. UVA is also HUGE, so you'd probably find lots to do, and people to socialize with if that's important to you. Car necessary.

VTech is in Blacksburg, and people in Blacksburg will tell you it's a college town, meaning a small suburb. But imo it's on the rural side of the suburb spectrum. Car definitely necessary.

• 1 month later...
On 2/15/2017 at 6:54 PM, FailedScientist said:

Anyone in any of the biology/biomedical graduate programs at these universities or with any insight about these institutes? I am an international so it's hard to know how these schools are viewed in the US. Rankings-wise they all seem to be mid-tier, with decent reputations. Any other insights on biotech industry and living standards in the surrounding areas would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Hi! I don't know if you've already made a decision, but I just made a comment on a recent VT post. Please check this out for more information.

I made a list (definitely a pro list!) of VT. @Lycaon pictus is right in his general ranking, but for science and technology, VT is the clear choice. UVa is more prestigious overall, but UVa is a liberal arts school, and VT is not. It's like comparing apples and oranges. If you want to compare engineering and science, VT is better. We have more programs, are more highly ranked, are hired more frequently, receive higher pay, and are received more welcomingly from companies.

Location is definitely something to consider as well. VCU is in a city, while UVa and VT are in towns. Charlottesville is a lot larger than Blacksburg (though VT is almost double the size of UVa-- 1000 vs 2000 acres). Another thing to consider is weather-- VT can have cold winters with heavy snow, though this past winter was quite mild. We only have a light (2 inches) snowfall in January. VCU and UVa are probably similar in climate. The summers would be the same at all three places. 

Also, VT (as far as I know, as I work with many international students), has a larger international student community, and is generally a more welcoming place than UVa. 

The culture/atmosphere at all three schools would be vastly different-- the small town college experience, where the university is number would be VT. VCU and UVa are located in self-sufficent places. Blacksburg, on the other hand, wouldn't exist without Tech! 

There are about the same number of graduates at VT and at UVa, but VT is a larger when undergrads are accounted for. VCU is larger than both in terms of graduate students, though around the same size as VT for undergrad.

I hope this is helpful! Remember, I do currently attend VT and I love it here! I know I am much happier here than I would have been at UVa. I didn't apply to VCU as I didn't want to go to school in a city. I am definitely biased-- however, I had an internship this past summer in Charlottesville and spent three months there. While it was during the summer, I did experience 'the college life' at UVa. I am so glad I picked VT!