Low Gpa what to do?

delicateriver

Hi guys, 

I'm sure this topic pops up every know and then so I basically have cumulative GPA of 2.453 and my major which is psychology has a GPA of 2.86. The reason I messed up with my gpa was I was going through some mental health issues and my grandmother had passed away in the middle of all of that I am prepping for the GRE like hardcore and am hoping to apply for the fall of 2017 counseling/psychology masters program I have no idea if I should just expect rejection or if I have any shot of getting in anywhere what do you guys think I should do? Any advice is welcomed 

thanks! 

To be honest, I'm not sure about getting into masters programs, but I can speak to my experience applying for PhD. I also had academic trouble (academic probation several semesters). I stayed 2 extra years in undergrad to pull my cumulative GPA to the minimum most schools take (3.0) and I got a research job that allowed me to have publications and presentations. I am doing very well in the PhD application process because of these things and others like fit, specific interests, etc. I found a way to explain my low gpa as a strength. Only caveat is, my psychology GPA was above 3.5. I think you really have to be sure that this is the carer you want because it will be a bumpy but doable road. You may want to stay in undergrad to pull up your GPA (maybe double major?) to show you can do the academic work and then apply to a masters program. If they see a huge change in your GPA some programs will know your capable. My final suggestion is to seek therapeutic support. College is hard, family loss is hard, and I'm sure the stress from this situation can exacerbate that. It really is just an extra support in a very difficult time. I'm sorry for your loss and I wish you all the best in your next steps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/02/2017 at 2:47 AM, delicateriver said:

Hi guys, 

I'm sure this topic pops up every know and then so I basically have cumulative GPA of 2.453 and my major which is psychology has a GPA of 2.86. The reason I messed up with my gpa was I was going through some mental health issues and my grandmother had passed away in the middle of all of that I am prepping for the GRE like hardcore and am hoping to apply for the fall of 2017 counseling/psychology masters program I have no idea if I should just expect rejection or if I have any shot of getting in anywhere what do you guys think I should do? Any advice is welcomed 

thanks! 

Hey!

I am sorry to hear all of those things happened during your undergrad.

I have applied 2 times to grad school, with the first round rejections across the board. I took the extra year to really work on raising my GPA and getting some research experience. I think this helped me a ton when it came time to applications (I received 4 interviews with 3 offers this time around). I know where I live, most universities value the last 2 years of your undergrad, therefore you can still raise your GPA by quite a bit! Taking summer courses can also expedite this process a bit faster, but I know sometimes work schedules do not allow it.

Long story short: There is no rush! the GPA/acceptance is really just a game you play. Making sure your GPA and research are at competitive ranges that the universities expect. I was pretty crushed after my first round of rejections, but I honestly grew a lot from that experience. 

Well I can relate to this. I had a low gpa going into my senior. I ended up even getting a 2.3 one semester because I was going through a lot. I was diagnosed with PTSD so it was hard. Luckily, I went into therapy and was able to get over a 3.0 the next two semesters. I also did a summer session. I am currently in a Master's program. It is possible to have a low gpa and still get into a Master's program, but there has to be growth. Things happen and it's understandable, but what did you do with it? If you have not been able to show that you improved yet, then I think you should do a summer session. It is important that they see that you are trying. However, with this said it may be harder with a 2.45 gpa. You may need to bring that to at least a 2.7. It is doable. If you kill the GRE, then that can open a lot more doors. Good luck!