UT LBJ 2017

avocado48

33 minutes ago, avocado48 said:

I received an email around 8 eastern last night. My Status still shows "in review" though. 

I see, mine says in review, and no mail either. Did you apply for MGPS?

1 hour ago, lookwhathappened said:

I got my letter today too- accepted, no news on funding yet. My letter did mention that the offer does not include one of the 'limited fellowships'. Does that mean no funding? :(

I had applied to MGPS, by the way.

Same, except for MPAff. I assumed that because it said, "your admissions offer does not include one of the limited fellowships" that meant I wasn't being offered funding. 

Did anyone get a letter with different language about funding?

I got into Chicago Harris with half tuition. Texas is still less expensive but they're both in my top three. However, if Harris seems more interested in me ( Texas offers no funding), I'll stick with Harris.

Edited by Garcia
Adding more details/questions

Got in for MPaff! No funding also but I'm considering the school. 

Would like to hear what people like and dislike about the school, specifically what they may have heard from current students and alumni to help inform me and others. I'll start!

• Affordability of the school: As an international student, it's very, very affordable compared to other private options.
  • Emphasis on social policy through Center for Health and Social Policy and the Social Policy Network of Students and Alumni
  • Austin and Texas: Austin as a place to live in for 2 years and Texas as a place to see how public policy is practiced in a pretty dynamic state.

Dislikes/concerns:

I might not want to live in Texas after my time there so would like to know how valuable this degree is in DC, or in other major metro areas. Their career outcomes section is arguably quite thin. In fact, the website as a whole could use some supplementation.

Lots for me to learn about the school but I believe others, especially non-Texans, are in the same situation :)

@Garcia -- I have not received a letter yet, just an MPAff acceptance email that said I would receive formal information, including news on funding, later. Hopefully that means I got something. Now I am quite anxious. I got into Harris as well, with a 1/4 scholarship offer. Are you planning to attend the admitted students' day?

@sleeplesswithcoffee -- LBJ's biggest downside for me is the program's prestige/name recognition. I went to a less prestigious undergraduate institution and have worked at places with no name recognition since then, so I want to beef up that aspect of my resume. I doubt it has many implications for my future job search, though. Beyond that, the cons are few for me! I agree that the city is a great "lab" and the school's value seems unbeatable. I'm also interested in working at a foundation or in private gov't affairs, and alumni seem to be successful in those areas. I'm not sure I can afford to attend the admitted students weekend.

@dollybird Congrats! And yes I'm going to admitted students day. I won't be going to LBJ's though. I went to UT as an undergrad and I'm from Texas, so I don't feel a  need to visit.

While I've been to Chicago and attended an event for alumni and prospective students out here, I'm looking forward to visiting the campus to see if it strengthens my interest in attending Harris. It doesn't hurt that they're providing travel vouchers.

I was also accepted to Brandeis Heller with 55% funding, so that puts it about even with Texas in terms of tuition right now.

Hey everyone!

I applied to the MpAff at the LBJ school (along with a degree in Community and Regional Planning in the Architecture school) and was admitted last week.

I received a really significant amount of funding and my official letter came in on Sunday with the details.

Keep waiting and hoping on it! I still have yet to hear on funding from the MSCRP side.

Edited by misagald

7 hours ago, misagald said:

Hey everyone!

I applied to the MpAff at the LBJ school (along with a degree in Community and Regional Planning in the Architecture school) and was admitted last week.

I received a really significant amount of funding and my official letter came in on Sunday with the details.

Keep waiting and hoping on it! I still have yet to hear on funding from the MSCRP side.

Thanks for the update and congrats!

Did your My Status page update after you received the letter? I got the email saying I was accepted but my page hasn't updated at all. Maybe it doesn't mean anything though.

Wanted to update everyone by sharing that I received my full acceptance and funding letter via email late tonight. There's an Admitted Student's Day/Weekend schedule, for Saturday, March 25. Haven't received anything in the mail. MyStatus still says "In Review." Good luck to everyone else! Hope the wait is over or over soon!

21 hours ago, Garcia said:

Thanks for the update and congrats!

Did your My Status page update after you received the letter? I got the email saying I was accepted but my page hasn't updated at all. Maybe it doesn't mean anything though.

No, it still says my page is in review. Not sure when it will be updated!

On 2/22/2017 at 11:24 AM, dollybird said:

Wanted to update everyone by sharing that I received my full acceptance and funding letter via email late tonight. There's an Admitted Student's Day/Weekend schedule, for Saturday, March 25. Haven't received anything in the mail. MyStatus still says "In Review." Good luck to everyone else! Hope the wait is over or over soon!

Congratulations, dollybird!

You mentioned that you received a letter about funding. If you are okay with sharing, could you tell us what kind of funding you received?

I emailed LBJ asking for information on when funding decisions will be released(I applied to MGPS) and they said anytime during spring/summer and I will be informed if and when it happens. 

Any idea what this means? 

Congratulations, dollybird.

I agree with you that LBJ has almost no name recognition outside of Texas- and certainly not in DC. However, it may be a much more enjoyable place to do an MPP/MPA than Georgetown, GWU, USC, Univ of Chicago (campus is wonderful but a bit sketchy in the neighborhood around it), and other more prestigious programs. If you want to work in the federal government, even DC-area programs like George Mason University and the University of Maryland have a lot more name recognition.

Hmm I've definitely read strongly contradicting reports from other LBJ people on this forum about the name recognition issue so it's difficult to ascertain the true. Appreciate your input though! @PaulRR Could you tell me why you feel like it may be a much more enjoyable place for study than the other schools you mentioned? Georgetown happens to be another school I applied to. 

Hope they don't release any new funding information past the end of March... 

@PaulRR What role does name recognition of a program play versus your accomplishments like grades, research, projects as a grad student in finding a job? 

I agree that programs like Georgetown, GWU, Chicago are well heard of but would that guarantee any success in the future? 

And if one looks at jobs outside the federal government(in INGOs, Private) would name recognition hold value over accomplishments, previous work experience, etc?

I'm an International Applicant and don't know how this works in the USA. I would like to gain some insight into this. Should name recognition be a criteria I should consider while deciding on a program?

For those who received acceptances from the priority round: am I correctly interpreting the part in the letter about when to reply by as they'd prefer we respond by March 15, but we CAN wait until April 15? I want to wait to attend the admitted students weekend and get my other decisions before I make a commitment, but I don't want to be discourteous to LBJ or lose out on my chance to accept.