Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
avocado48

UT LBJ 2017

64 posts in this topic

Just got an email that said it was a preview of the email and snail mail I'll be getting later, but the preview says I'm in for the MPP. Woo! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Admitted Students weekend is the 24th and 25th of March. That's really soon given that they just sent my acceptance today. 

Also, it conflicts with the premiere of the new season of RuPaul's Drag Race and the Texas Independence Relay. More importantly, though, that's a really short turnaround for people who live out of town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have also not heard back yet (MGPS program).  I sent in an incomplete application on December 13, before scholarship deadline, but they didn't tell me it was incomplete until a month or two later (I had inadvertantly attached the same file twice rather than two different files, so they were missing a document).  If I remember right, they accept aplication until April 1, so I guess I just got bumped back to that time....

This is all speculation, of course.  The fact that others have also not heard back yet shows that it could be something else.  In any case, I'm going to withdraw my application so someone on the waitlist can take my spot.  You snooze, you lose, LBJ! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I think I'm going to accept another offer too even though Austin was my #1 pick because I've received all of my other acceptance letters more than a month ago, and LBJ is just playing with my patience now. I've even emailed then a couple of weeks ago and the decision was supposed to be made 'shortly'... still nothing though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck, peeps. I found out yesterday my application has been *denied*...I hope there's still good news to come for the rest of you! D.C. it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LifeOnMars said:

I have also not heard back yet (MGPS program).  I sent in an incomplete application on December 13, before scholarship deadline, but they didn't tell me it was incomplete until a month or two later (I had inadvertantly attached the same file twice rather than two different files, so they were missing a document).  If I remember right, they accept aplication until April 1, so I guess I just got bumped back to that time....

This is all speculation, of course.  The fact that others have also not heard back yet shows that it could be something else.  In any case, I'm going to withdraw my application so someone on the waitlist can take my spot.  You snooze, you lose, LBJ! 

 

 

3 hours ago, chipsandqueso said:

Yeah I think I'm going to accept another offer too even though Austin was my #1 pick because I've received all of my other acceptance letters more than a month ago, and LBJ is just playing with my patience now. I've even emailed then a couple of weeks ago and the decision was supposed to be made 'shortly'... still nothing though. 

If you don't have to make a decision right now, why withdraw or accept someone else? I found this process frustrating, but it's still a great program. I don't know what has gone on the admissions department this year, because this isn't normal, but, living in Austin, I have several close friends who go to LBJ and this is not ordinary for the school. I worry that it has to do with some software error. If it's your number one pick, and if you love chipsandqueso, it's worth giving another call. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applied to the MGPS program on 12/15 and although some of my supporting documents (recommendations, etc.) were not submitted until later that month, I am still really surprised that I haven't heard anything about the status of my application. I emailed LBJ in January and was told that I would have a decision by late February/early March, but no such luck. I emailed them again last week to inquire about my status and have still not received a reply, even though several business days have passed. Particularly considering this a graduate program and people clearly have lives to plan around, I find this very disappointing. I live in Austin and know people who are currently enrolled in LBJ and, even so, I'm not sure I'm willing to consider this program at this point. 

Edited by WMK21

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, it has felt ridiculous to me from the outset that LBJ has a deadline of 12/1 but then doesn't get back to you until 3 months later.  It doesn't take that long to review an application.  I applied to schools with Jan. 5th and Jan. 15th deadlines and heard back from them before LBJ, some of them a little more than a month later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 3dender said:

FWIW, it has felt ridiculous to me from the outset that LBJ has a deadline of 12/1 but then doesn't get back to you until 3 months later.  It doesn't take that long to review an application.  I applied to schools with Jan. 5th and Jan. 15th deadlines and heard back from them before LBJ, some of them a little more than a month later.

I feel like, other than Chicago and, to a lesser extent, Michigan, that was my expectation for almost every program. Harvard and Berkeley had their applications due two weeks before LBJ's and I only heard from them the week before I heard from LBJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Obecalp said:

 

If you don't have to make a decision right now, why withdraw or accept someone else? 

It was never a top pick for me, and I got into other places I'd rather go anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just want to echo many of you: I've heard from five of the six schools I applied to and nothing from LBJ. I'd be ok with it if there was open communication, but that hasn't been the case. Every day I've been waiting for them means going lower on grad housing lists at other schools and having the peace of mind knowing my future is secure. I'm just going to mentally expel them from my options and go with one of the other five schools that accepted me. Their loss.     

Edited by jumpman85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now