Purdue PhD Applicants

malloc88

I applied to the CS PhD program at Purdue in December. Still waiting on a decision as well. 

On 2/18/2017 at 1:05 AM, ejpril88 said:

What do you think about West Lafayette?

Having lived in Indiana for most of my life and having spent a good deal of time in the Lafayette area (work, friends at Purdue, etc.) I think Lafayette in general is a good area. The cost of living is decent. Not super low, but definitely a bit below the national average. It's kind of your "traditional" college town: low population area, kind of a "sleepy" town depending on where you might be coming from. The area is pretty flat and full of agricultural land as Purdue does a lot of agricultural research. If you need some nightlife or a weekend in a more bustling area then Indianapolis is only around an hour away and Chicago is about two hours away. Both of which will provide plenty for you to do. Just my thoughts. 

I moved to US 11 months ago and been living in Chicago ever since. I love that big town feel, always something happening, so I'm afraid how would I fit in of I move to Purdue. Than again, all college towns are pretty much the same.

22 minutes ago, ejpril88 said:

I moved to US 11 months ago and been living in Chicago ever since. I love that big town feel, always something happening, so I'm afraid how would I fit in of I move to Purdue. Than again, all college towns are pretty much the same.

You'd likely be fine. There might be an adjustment period for you moving from Chicago to a much smaller town. But plenty of people have made the switch from big cities to smaller college towns for grad school and vice versa. In the end you just need to weigh your options and decide which you think would be better for you. If Purdue has an open house/visitation weekend for you I'd definitely go to it. Even if they don't, the drive from Chicago to West Lafayette isn't too bad. It's definitely a doable thing for you to go down there for a couple days and check it out if you're able to afford it. 

Hi,

I applied to PhD Electrical Engineering. I got the offer letter a few weeks ago. Early February maybe? I haven't accepted yet because I'm waiting to hear if I will be getting the Purdue Doctoral Fellowship. Has anyone received that? I have a question for everyone:

Have you heard of any way to increase your odds of getting it? I'm wondering if I should commit myself to Purdue now (since I will be eventually) so that I may be more likely to get it since they already know I'm going there. Then again, I'm wondering if that may shoot myself in the foot. Maybe they will see that I've already accepted and there's no incentive to give it to me to get me to go there? Any suggestions?

Yes, I am probably over thinking this. That's what graduate students do though right ? :)

Accepted: 3/4

Interviews: 0/4

Rejected: 0/4

Nothing yet: 1/4