Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
That Research Lady

Does Program Prestige Matter?

13 posts in this topic

When graduating with a PhD in clinical psychology, does the prestige of your graduate program effect your career in the short and long term? My career goals are centered around academic research with an interest in consulting. I'm wondering if the national reputation of a program (ie. graduating from a school in the top ten vs. top 50) is a significant factor in the trajectory of your career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that graduating from a more prestigious program will give you an advantage when it comes to securing coveted faculty positions. Academia is very hierarchical, unfortunately. However, I would personally weight other factors (e.g., fit with advisor and program) more heavily if you're making a decision about which school to attend.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, St0chastic said:

My understanding is that graduating from a more prestigious program will give you an advantage when it comes to securing coveted faculty positions. Academia is very hierarchical, unfortunately. However, I would personally weight other factors (e.g., fit with advisor and program) more heavily if you're making a decision about which school to attend.

 

Thanks for the response! It's a lot to weigh so I thought getting some clarity on this would help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I understand it, yes typically for Academic positions the prestige of a program would be considered. However, one thing I've been told is that the "family tree" of mentors can be surprisingly important as well. One of the faculty where I work now has a poster in her office that traces back the history of mentors and their students quite a ways. If people have worked with your mentor, or if they've also been a student of your mentor (or even mentored your mentor), then that seems to give a small advantage as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JacobW83 said:

As I understand it, yes typically for Academic positions the prestige of a program would be considered. However, one thing I've been told is that the "family tree" of mentors can be surprisingly important as well. One of the faculty where I work now has a poster in her office that traces back the history of mentors and their students quite a ways. If people have worked with your mentor, or if they've also been a student of your mentor (or even mentored your mentor), then that seems to give a small advantage as well. 

Yeah, that's definitely true. All else being equal, it's better to work for a well-regarded PI at a less renowned institution than a less well-regarded PI at a top 10 institution. That said, chances are faculty who are at a top 10 institution are probably well known in their field.

Also, the prestige hierarchy will vary depending on your specific field or even subfield and is probably only loosely correlated with undergraduate rankings. A lot of public schools that are ranked in the 20s or lower, for example, are top 10s in certain research areas (e.g., UCLA, UC Berkeley, UNC, etc.). 

Edited by St0chastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm weighing a newer faculty member at a top ten in clinical psyc vs. a more established person in the field at a top 50. I'd be able to work with both, in theory, if I was at either institution since they often work together, but of course I would have limited exposure to the advisor at the other institution. I'm leaning towards the established faculty member since our interests are better aligned but I'm not sure if I am giving up a major opportunity to have a more successful career by not attending the top ten. Thank you for your responses so far!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What exactly are prestige and rankings determined by? I feel like a lot of people just take rankings at face value without questioning who determines them (i.e., which people have enough power to determine rankings, that the field of psychology is still dominated by white men who are biased when selecting which grants get funded, etc.) Because I'm considering a super less well-known school over a top 5 program - it looks like I'd be able to publish about the same amount, the faculty at this less well-known school are super respected in their field, etc. And this lesser known school is extremely competent in terms of diversity and social justice compared to all the other programs I applied to, including this top 5 one. Though, as OP touches on, people have told me that going to this top 5 program would help me get a job after graduation - but at this point I'm not sure it's the type of job I would even want (though this program was great when I interviewed, just not as good a fit for me I think). I'd be curious to hear what other people think, because after going on some interviews I feel like basing your decision on fit is the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, psychpride9 said:

What exactly are prestige and rankings determined by? I feel like a lot of people just take rankings at face value without questioning who determines them (i.e., which people have enough power to determine rankings, that the field of psychology is still dominated by white men who are biased when selecting which grants get funded, etc.) Because I'm considering a super less well-known school over a top 5 program - it looks like I'd be able to publish about the same amount, the faculty at this less well-known school are super respected in their field, etc. And this lesser known school is extremely competent in terms of diversity and social justice compared to all the other programs I applied to, including this top 5 one. Though, as OP touches on, people have told me that going to this top 5 program would help me get a job after graduation - but at this point I'm not sure it's the type of job I would even want (though this program was great when I interviewed, just not as good a fit for me I think). I'd be curious to hear what other people think, because after going on some interviews I feel like basing your decision on fit is the way to go.

I am in the same boat. My top two schools are both counseling programs. One is pretty well known for counseling but both are no where near as prestigious at the clinical program I interviewed at. And honestly? I was not nearly as impressed with the clinical program as I was with the counseling. I just think "fit" is SO important. I didn't feel the fit with the clinical program like I did the other two, and if you're going to be there for 4-6y yrs I think it's better to choose where you think you'll thrive the most. Just my two cents though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I may be way off here, or maybe it is just my outlook on life, but I think that where I obtain my PhD. will not determine where I end up in the long run. Maybe in the short term prestigious universities can help. My thinking is that no matter where I land my first job, if I have well thought out research that is relative to advancing knowledge and my field, obtain grants for said research, and publish, I will be able to obtain tenure track positions at great universities. I understand the it's not what you know it's who you know to a certain extent. I also understand that who I know has little to do with the work and effort I plan on putting in to my future. To me the best fitting school will be one that truly encourages growth. I would much work under someone at a "less prestigious," university that truly understands and pushes me than someone at a "higher rated," university that doesn't quite fit who I am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm wondering this as well. Aside from juggernauts like UNC chapel hill, berkley, ucla, and some others how can people really tell what's prestigious vs what's not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From working with the DCT at my undergrad institution and seeing some hiring processes, fit appears to be at least as important as program prestige. You can go to Harvard, SDSU/UCSD, UCLA, (insert strong program here in your sub field) and work with an awful advisor and not publish anything. You could go to a less "prestigious" school and have a good match and publish some great pubs and be set. 

 

Idk it's such a toss for me between some of my programs and match will be the most important thing. That AND potential to be on some high impact pubs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think prestige always matters, but as others have said there are other considerations that can often be more important.

So in an ideal situation you find a prestigious program where you have a great supervisor that fits your research/goals well, but if not I think you just have to consider what matters most in the long run based on your goals (probably ask faculty you work with about this).

Edited by C is for Caps Locks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, psychpride9 said:

What exactly are prestige and rankings determined by?...I'd be curious to hear what other people think, because after going on some interviews I feel like basing your decision on fit is the way to go.

This is obviously a very personal decision, so there's no blanket statement that I can give that will apply to all people and all situations. Generally, I agree that fit should trump (ooops can't use that word anymore) program prestige for the reasons you list.

As for who determines prestige, I would argue that prestige is determined by faculty who are in charge of hiring as well as funding agencies. They are the gatekeepers that determine who gets to be a part of academia or not.

Edited by St0chastic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now