University of Washington - Seattle Fall 2017!

nikkimx

This topic is for those headed to UW Seattle in summer and fall 2017! Yay!

In your first post, please introduce yourself. I'll start:

My name is Nikki, and I accepted an offer for the Ph.D. in Educational Psychology focusing on human development and learning sciences. I am moving to Seattle with my husband and two kids (4 and almost 2) sometime in the summer from CA. We hope to secure graduate family housing asap!

On 2/17/2017 at 9:27 AM, nikkimx said:

This topic is for those headed to UW Seattle in summer and fall 2017! Yay!

In your first post, please introduce yourself. I'll start:

My name is Nikki, and I accepted an offer for the Ph.D. in Educational Psychology focusing on human development and learning sciences. I am moving to Seattle with my husband and two kids (4 and almost 2) sometime in the summer from CA. We hope to secure graduate family housing asap!

Hi Nikki,

I currently live in family housing if you have any questions about the set-up there. And congrats!

9 hours ago, Emarouk said:

I currently live in family housing if you have any questions about the set-up there. And congrats!

Emarouk, thank you so much! What program are you studying? I have a lot of questions about hosing! I turned in my application and supporting documents today, so I guess I am just waiting now.

How many months did you have to wait?

Which complex are you living in? I put Laurel as my first preference and Blakely as my second. Is one better than the other? Laurel seemed better to me because it's closer to good bird watching spots, the farm, and a garden that I'm interested in.

Is it safe living in the area? I worry that the downtown area will be crazy hectic.

Do the kids all play together? I would love for my kiddos to have regular play dates with other kids.

Thanks so much for your help!

14 hours ago, nikkimx said:

Emarouk, thank you so much! What program are you studying? I have a lot of questions about hosing! I turned in my application and supporting documents today, so I guess I am just waiting now.

How many months did you have to wait?

Which complex are you living in? I put Laurel as my first preference and Blakely as my second. Is one better than the other? Laurel seemed better to me because it's closer to good bird watching spots, the farm, and a garden that I'm interested in.

Is it safe living in the area? I worry that the downtown area will be crazy hectic.

Do the kids all play together? I would love for my kiddos to have regular play dates with other kids.

Thanks so much for your help!

Hi! I started at Blakeley and moved to LV--partially because my little one went to the school there and partially because I met a couple other single mamas who were living there with daughters the same age as mine--we've really become a great support for one another! Family housing has been awesome. It is so affordable compared to housing in the city and it's great for our littles to have so many kids around. I didn't honestly meet a lot of folks in Blakeley, but I think it was also a matter of time.... And I'm not religious and a lot of my closest neighbors were and maybe weren't so fond of a single mama....but that's a whole other story. I absolutely love LV and my neighbors here, but I bet there's great community at B that I just didn't know how to tap.... If you want a tour guide when you arrive, let me know. My daughter is 5 and LOVES to show folks around the area.

I'm currently doing a  concurrent MSW/MPA and a grad certificate in GH. I finish in June, but I applied to the PhD program here so we shall see....results will be out by Friday! 
We aren't downtown at all! Family housing is just outside of the UDistrict--it's a nice neighborhood and we feel completely safe. I think Seattle is safe in general--we have a blast exploring. 

6 hours ago, Emarouk said:

If you want a tour guide when you arrive, let me know. My daughter is 5 and LOVES to show folks around the area.

I'm currently doing a  concurrent MSW/MPA and a grad certificate in GH. I finish in June, but I applied to the PhD program here so we shall see....results will be out by Friday! 
We aren't downtown at all! Family housing is just outside of the UDistrict--it's a nice neighborhood and we feel completely safe. I think Seattle is safe in general--we have a blast exploring. 

Wow, it sounds great there! I'd love a tour once we get there! Please let me know if you get in. Good luck with it! Thank you SO much for the information! It makes me super excited to head to UW and (hopefully) live in family housing! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi there!

I'll be starting UW's Neuroscience PhD program this fall, hopefully researching retinal neurophysiology in mouse or primate.  I'm ready to start now!  Ahhh

Hello all!  I'll be starting in UW's Epidemiology PhD Program this fall and am hoping to find some sort of housing over the next few months.  I'll be moving to Seattle from California and hope to rent something for about 9 months and/or find a roommate until my boyfriend will move up next April!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! My name is Alexis, and I'll be pursuing an MA in International Studies with the Jackson School. I'm going to look for housing soon, and am wondering which areas are most ideal for grad students ? Hope you all have great summers and enjoy UW!

• 2 weeks later...

I super excited to head to Seattle! I spoke with several students in my program who offered advice about places to live in Seattle. Most of them live in the neighborhoods north of the school. One lives near SeaTac in the south, but that area is pretty polluted. Many live outside of Seattle, and all said that living near a main bus line is important because driving and parking is horrible. Some said Bothell, Redmond, Bellevue, and Issaquah, are great places to live. I am moving to Seattle in three weeks because I found a summer school teaching position that starts June 29th. I can't afford most of the apartments listed on Trulia and Zillow, so I started looking at Craigslist. I signed a lease for a duplex I found through Craigslist in Lynnwood (closer to Briar) after Skyping with the landlord for a virtual walk-through. I have an application in with family housing, too, but I am number 28 on the waiting list...

I just thought I'd share for those of you looking for housing!

Hi all!

I'm heading in for a PhD. I'll be moving there in late August/early September. I started looking for apartments but it looks like most places listed right now will be gone by the time I plan to move. Though I've been talking to another incoming student about rooming together, we're still keeping out options open because we'll be moving in at different times so I'm also potentially looking for a roommate. Super excited either way!