Fall 2017 Waitlist Thread

OptimiscallyAnxious

2 hours ago, metalpsychperson said:

Just got a call from my POI at Baylor and I'm in! Will most likely accept. Super excited of course. I really didn't think this would happen!

Congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing, it is really encouraging to see people accepted off of the waitlist. 

Edited by OptimiscallyAnxious

3 hours ago, periwinkle27 said:

For those who have been accepted off of waitlists, were you the first person on the waitlist or further down?

I was also first alternate

Did anyone here apply to MSVU for School Psych in Halifax, Canada? I'm waitlisted there but they did not tell me WHERE on the waitlist I am :P so frustrating... really hoping to get in, but have no idea when it will even start moving! They accept only 5-8...

Now that I have accepted an offer here is my update...I was waitlisted at two counseling psychology programs (both of which I felt were good fits for me and each had pros and cons to them): Oklahoma State University and University of Oklahoma. OSU was my top choice as it meant I wouldn't have to get an apartment 2.75 hours away from my husband all week however I didn't end up getting an offer from OSU. (For anyone still waiting on OK state counseling psychology as of the 17th there was one offer still out.)

I removed my name from the OSU waitlist on 3/17 as they said there were still 5 people ahead of me on the waitlist. On the 17th  I accepted the offer with OU and am happy and grateful for the offer. I went from thinking I would not get an offer to being shocked when I was called with one. It can happen. Good luck to everyone out there still waiting! P.S. Would love to hear from anyone of my cohorts who also accepted an offer from University of Oklahoma:counseling psychology!

Update on UCSB's School Psych combined PhD program. They were only able to offer 4 admission offers and all four were accepted. Cost of living was a huge concern anyway but I loved the program. Still waitlisted at U of Oregon and accepted at U of Arizona and U of N Colorado. Will be declining U of N Colorado. 

On 3/17/2017 at 5:31 PM, periwinkle27 said:

For those who have been accepted off of waitlists, were you the first person on the waitlist or further down?

I was first alternative on the waitlist for 2 programs and got in off 1 and may be accepted off the other so it can happen. Though on gradcafe I saw someone who said they were #12 and got in I think.

For those who know what position they are/were on a waitlist, how did you find out?  Were you told when you were informed you were waitlisted or did you ask about position on the waitlist? I was waitlisted at every clinical PhD program I interviewed for and was only told I was "an alternate" for all of them but without any specification of position.  There were only about 4-5 total people interviewing for the lab I applied to at each school, would they be likely to designate all interviewees as "alternates" and just run through the list when an offer is rejected?

1 hour ago, psychIsLife said:

For those who know what position they are/were on a waitlist, how did you find out?  Were you told when you were informed you were waitlisted or did you ask about position on the waitlist? I was waitlisted at every clinical PhD program I interviewed for and was only told I was "an alternate" for all of them but without any specification of position.  There were only about 4-5 total people interviewing for the lab I applied to at each school, would they be likely to designate all interviewees as "alternates" and just run through the list when an offer is rejected?

I asked, but only after someone else on the waitlist informed me that they asked and got an answer. Didn't want to risk asking without being sure they would disclose the information.

One of the schools I interviewed at automatically waitlisted everybody at the interviews who weren't given first offers, but they informed us of this. Not sure how common this is. They were a PsyD program and applicants applied to the program, not a POI, so I think their process differs from the usual.

Edited by metalpsychperson

1 hour ago, psychIsLife said:

I was in the same boat as you (waitlisted everywhere; it bites I know!). I was told at 2 out of the 4 places I was waitlisted at but for those I was first alternate so I'm sure that they really wanted to keep me available in case the person ahead of me rejected the offer. The other place I was waitlisted at simply said I was waitlisted and they weren't sure how likely an offer was. I would say wait a while and then politely inquire if the waitlist is still active and while re-stating you interest ask what the possibility is of joining the lab at that point.

21 hours ago, fritolay said:

@AuntieGrandma How did you receive the update? POI's or admin? I haven't heard anything yet :unsure:

I reached out to the same individuals who had notified me of my waitlist status and politely asked about the waitlist status. They were both very nice and sent personalized responses. 

off the waitlist and accepted to UCSB! School emphasis in the combined program! Super excited, but now I need to make a decision between 2 amazing programs

@AuntieGrandma sorry to hear about that but congratulations on other acceptances! i honestly just got lucky that a spot opened

Bloody hell, some of these universities are cruel. I received an email regarding one of my wait listed school, and I was like "IT'S HAPPENING!!!!!". Then I read the content of the letter saying I am still on the wait list, they are still interested in my application, and letting me know I'll know by April 15. I appreciate the update, but eish, the headline gave me a minor heart attack. 

4 hours ago, 8BitJourney said:

I was in the same boat as you (waitlisted everywhere; it bites I know!). I was told at 2 out of the 4 places I was waitlisted at but for those I was first alternate so I'm sure that they really wanted to keep me available in case the person ahead of me rejected the offer. The other place I was waitlisted at simply said I was waitlisted and they weren't sure how likely an offer was. I would say wait a while and then politely inquire if the waitlist is still active and while re-stating you interest ask what the possibility is of joining the lab at that point.

Thank you! I guess it really just completely varies with the programs and all of mine just happened to be ones to simply say "an alternate for admission" (or maybe I'm just pretty low on the list at all of them and that's why they word it that way--who knows).  It seemed like most people I've seen post on here knew their position on the list so I wasn't sure if most programs were telling people or if I was being overly-cautious by not wanting to ask when most people actually did.  I really hope that everything works out for you!

4 hours ago, metalpsychperson said:

I asked, but only after someone else on the waitlist informed me that they asked and got an answer. Didn't want to risk asking without being sure they would disclose the information.

One of the schools I interviewed at automatically waitlisted everybody at the interviews who weren't given first offers, but they informed us of this. Not sure how common this is. They were a PsyD program and applicants applied to the program, not a POI, so I think their process differs from the usual.

Thank you!  I second not wanting to risk asking if you aren't sure--I'd contemplated it for about a milisecond after seeing what seemed like most people on here know their position on the waitlist.  I hope they don't automatically waitlist everyone who interviews, I'd like to think waitlist instead of rejection means something but I could also understand the practicality of it on the school's end--at least they told you they did it that way.  

Oh well, I guess it really doesn't make a difference whether I know my position on the waitlist or not--it won't actually impact the probability of receiving an offer and, really, it would just bring about a different bag of uncertainty to deal with.  I hope everything works out for you!

16 minutes ago, psychIsLife said:

Thank you!  I second not wanting to risk asking if you aren't sure--I'd contemplated it for about a milisecond after seeing what seemed like most people on here know their position on the waitlist.  I hope they don't automatically waitlist everyone who interviews, I'd like to think waitlist instead of rejection means something but I could also understand the practicality of it on the school's end--at least they told you they did it that way.  

Oh well, I guess it really doesn't make a difference whether I know my position on the waitlist or not--it won't actually impact the probability of receiving an offer and, really, it would just bring about a different bag of uncertainty to deal with.  I hope everything works out for you!

Thanks! I was actually accepted off the waitlist from that same program and have accepted the offer, so it all worked out in the end!

Before I asked I got the same vague "alternate for admission" letter, and turns out I was actually first alternate for my POI. So that probably doesn't imply anything about your place on the waitlist.

Chances are it doesn't hurt to ask, but even if the risk of asking is small, it's not really worth taking since knowing won't really affect anything.

Edited by metalpsychperson

4 minutes ago, metalpsychperson said:

Thanks! I was actually accepted off the waitlist from that same program and have accepted the offer, so it all worked out in the end!

Before I asked I got the same vague "alternate for admission" letter, and turns out I was actually first alternate for my POI. So that probably doesn't imply anything about your place on the waitlist.

Chances are it doesn't hurt to ask, but even if the risk of asking is small, it's not really worth taking since knowing won't really affect anything.

That's awesome! Congrats!!  

I agree that even if there probably isn't a risk I'd rather not ask since it doesn't actually make a difference. Thank you again!

I just withdrew my George Mason University application for the Human Factors and Applied Cognition PhD program. I think I was waitlisted but not sure (interviewed but didn't hear back yet), so I hope this helps someone!