Interview with multiple faculty?

rheya19

Hello! I got an email from the religious studies department at Iowa that they want to Skype interview me next week. They want to interview me, as in, I think I'm going to be interviewing with multiple faculty at once. The department head said in her email that she needed to "see what works with everyone" time-wise. 

I had imagined I would just interview with whoever was willing to advise me. Was I mistaken? Has anyone done group interviews like this, and could you tell me how they might be different from a one-on-one?

Thank you!!

Group interviews are common. You will likely be interviewed with a panel from the admissions committee rather than the profs that you specifically mentioned, but it might be a mix! I've been on the interviewing and the interviewed side of these telecon group interviews. 

Here are some tips for panel/group interviews.

1. It will most likely begin with people introducing themselves. Have a pen and paper ready as soon as you start the call so that you can write down their names. 

2. You are likely going to be projected over a speakerphone on the other side. These things are sometimes static-y, so speak slowly and clearly. Also, speak loudly because while they can turn up the volume on these speakers, when they do, it will make the static louder too. I don't know how you normally speak into the phone but if you are sitting at desk, speak as if you were talking to a person on the other side of the desk, instead of how one might talk to a friend on a phone.

3. Similarly, the group will be speaking into a mic on a table and if a person is sitting further away, they might be quieter. Don't be afraid to ask them to repeat something if you didn't hear it clearly.

4. The group might take turns asking you questions from a predetermined list but others may interject with followup questions based on your answers. When you answer a question, answer it for the whole group, not just the person who is asking.

5. Interviewers will be writing down your answers and making notes as you speak. They might be a little silent after you finish speaking as they finish their notes. Don't be alarmed! In all of my interviews, they always started with this (and when I was on the interviewing panel, we always said this too).