Pratt MLIS?

Manuscriptess

Hey! Do you guys know anything about the Pratt MLIS program? I already have an MA in Medieval History and want to do special collections. It seems like they have really good internship opportunities at NYC institutions but I've heard some negative things. I have to stay in NYC for the next couple years if you guys know anything else about any other MLIS programs in the area. Thanks!

• 1 year later...

BUMP. 

I know this is a whole year later, but I am looking into MLIS programs in NYC and don't even know where to start. I would be eager to hear what you found out about the Pratt program, where you decided to apply and how you feel about the whole process.

13 hours ago, oroanthro said:

BUMP. 

I know this is a whole year later, but I am looking into MLIS programs in NYC and don't even know where to start. I would be eager to hear what you found out about the Pratt program, where you decided to apply and how you feel about the whole process.

@oroanthro Hi, I don't know much about Pratt (since I didn't applied there), but there might be helpful to you despite being several years old: https://hacklibraryschool.com/2011/08/02/hack-your-program-pratt/ Sorry I couldn't be of much help otherwise! 

If you don't mind me asking, are you from NYC? There's also Rutgers in NJ, if you wanted to stay in the NYC-NJ area. 

1 hour ago, francoise said:

@oroanthro Hi, I don't know much about Pratt (since I didn't applied there), but there might be helpful to you despite being several years old: https://hacklibraryschool.com/2011/08/02/hack-your-program-pratt/ Sorry I couldn't be of much help otherwise! 

If you don't mind me asking, are you from NYC? There's also Rutgers in NJ, if you wanted to stay in the NYC-NJ area. 

Whoops, I meant to tag you in that last reply. I do want to stay in the NYC area, having just moved back here from a disastrous program experience in Oklahoma. I will look at Rutgers, too. I am such a newbie to MSLIS in this area, I don't know how to go about finding a program that matches my interests. 

1 hour ago, oroanthro said:

Whoops, I meant to tag you in that last reply. I do want to stay in the NYC area, having just moved back here from a disastrous program experience in Oklahoma. I will look at Rutgers, too. I am such a newbie to MSLIS in this area, I don't know how to go about finding a program that matches my interests. 

@oroanthro No problem! Sorry to hear that you had a bad time in Oklahoma; was it for you undergrad? So my advice would be to find a program that has the concentration and courses that interest you, especially if you have a certain area you want to specialize in. Also try to find internships/volunteer positions to help you gain more experience and knowledge about the field. Maybe that'll help you figure out what you're interested in pursuing during library school. FYI, I'm starting my MLIS/MS program in the fall, so I'm no veteran archivist or librarian, but that was the advice I was given and it helped me to find programs that fit my needs and interests. 

6 minutes ago, francoise said:

@oroanthro No problem! Sorry to hear that you had a bad time in Oklahoma; was it for you undergrad? So my advice would be to find a program that has the concentration and courses that interest you, especially if you have a certain area you want to specialize in. Also try to find internships/volunteer positions to help you gain more experience and knowledge about the field. Maybe that'll help you figure out what you're interested in pursuing during library school. FYI, I'm starting my MLIS/MS program in the fall, so I'm no veteran archivist or librarian, but that was the advice I was given and it helped me to find programs that fit my needs and interests. 

No, I did my undergrad here in New York. I went to Oklahoma for grad school and can't say enough terrible things about the place. That being said, I ultimately was the one who made the decision to go there, so I think I'm apprehensive about choosing programs this time around. I messed myself up so badly last time by picking OU. This time I'll be asking for plenty of advice and input from other students and this forum before sending out applications and making decisions. 

I noticed you are in NJ. Will you be attending Rutgers or another area school in the fall? 

• 2 years later...

I was accepted to Pratt for Fall 2020 but declined. I wasn't offered any funding or any on campus work and was told the number of transfer credits I could bring over was less than listed on their website. For context: I have a 3.8GPA, a year of ALA accredited grad school completed, and experience in the field. I was happy to be accepted, but pretty bummed on the acceptance terms. Furthermore, seemingly no plan of action for Fall 2020 in the wake of COVID-19? As an international student... this was not ideal. 

I've contacted NYU/LIU about their dual degree MA/MSLIS program. There are emphasis streams for special collections and archives at LIU, and NYU has museum studies (as well as conservation programs, but I don't think you can mix that into dual degree). These programs also have links to institutions that seem v intriguing. Not the same as Pratt's fellowships, but those are also very competetive and only available second year. CUNY also has a well reputed (straight forward) MLIS program. 

Edited by SPozzie