Master's after PhD?

Researchpsychbound

For a long time I was interested in doing clinical psychology, and I still am but find that I am more attracted to the research portion of it and I think I would be very happy doing only research and pursuing some kind of non-academic career. I've been accepted to a PhD program that is purely research in psychology, and I plan on accepting. I think I will be very happy in a research only program, and also think I will have a satisfying and fulfilling career after completing this program, but there is still a part of me that enjoys clinical work. My question is, has anyone here gone through a pure research PhD to later go on to do a masters or some type of certification that licenses you to counsel? I realize this is a warped way of doing things, and it's not my ultimate goal but I just wanted to know if there's any information on this in case I'll want to go back to clinical work sometime in the distant future. 

1 hour ago, Researchpsychbound said:

For a long time I was interested in doing clinical psychology, and I still am but find that I am more attracted to the research portion of it and I think I would be very happy doing only research and pursuing some kind of non-academic career. I've been accepted to a PhD program that is purely research in psychology, and I plan on accepting. I think I will be very happy in a research only program, and also think I will have a satisfying and fulfilling career after completing this program, but there is still a part of me that enjoys clinical work. My question is, has anyone here gone through a pure research PhD to later go on to do a masters or some type of certification that licenses you to counsel? I realize this is a warped way of doing things, and it's not my ultimate goal but I just wanted to know if there's any information on this in case I'll want to go back to clinical work sometime in the distant future. 

I think it depends on what your clinical goals are. I know people with associate degrees who get certificates that allow them to work with special populations as a pseudo case manager/counselor. That could be a easy alternative. If you really want to be a licenced clinician, I would suggest doing a PhD that allows you to do clinical work and research. I would imagine it can be hard to get a PhD, go back to school for a masters and then worry about obtaining clinical hours, especially since the research world rewards those who start their career soon after graduation. It's possible I'm sure, but I don't know if it would be worth the juggling. On the other hand, if you could see yourself just getting the research PHD and having a fulfilling career and life, I would go to the program you're excited about. I was trying to figure out the same thing last year and I had to reflect on what my ultimate goals were for my career and it helped me make a decision. You may want to write out a career plan and reflect on what will get you to your end goal. Hope that helped!

3 hours ago, Researchpsychbound said:

It seems that it would make more sense, speaking strictly time and money, to just get a PhD in clinical psychology at a research heavy program.