Self-Study Computer Science / Coding

Musick

Hello everyone,

I've realized the obvious, that technology is starting to pervade all disciplines pretty much, including my own. That said, IT jobs are also an excellent fallback if I were to get tired of the idea of academia (I'm studying philosophy and fine arts simultaneously with the goal of joining a philosophy faculty specializing in aesthetics and epistemology). I have some experience with coding, having studied Java and C in high school, and I want to get back to it.

So I'm wondering, what does everyone recommend for a self-study plan? Is there any chance of building the knowledge that would compare to a four year degree in computer science? I'm perfectly well comfortable with the idea of studying some theoretical stuff too because I figure that's part of the common difference between self-study and university study.

Anyway, I've heard of many who studied math or one of the sciences in college and then went on to a career as a software developer... but I fear that is getting more difficult to do then it was in say, the 90s. Computer science four year programs are much more common and well ironed out than they were at the dawn of the internet I figure.

Does anyone have some advice? Some honest words about how this might turn out? Some optimism for me?

As I said, whether or not I continue on my path to being a philosopher... I see computer science and programming as something worth my attention and I want to do it thoroughly rather than in a piecemeal, disorganized way that would never stand a chance at rivaling a school curriculum and environment.