Stanford MechE Admission Stats Fall 2017

playfire

I just got back from the visit day where they revealed some stats about this year's admissions. The following include both MS and MS/PhD applications.

• ~950 applications
  • 224 were sorted into the Admit/Possible Admit pile
  • 181 were admitted (19% acceptance rate)
  • 57 were invited to interview for 5 quarter and 3 year fellowships (6%)

The vast majority of people invited will receive the 5 quarter fellowship for the MS before moving into a funded PhD. The MechE department has 5 Stanford Graduate Fellowships to hand out which provide funding and an increased stipend for 3 years. Stanford is only interested in funding students whose eventual goal is a PhD.

All letters will be sent out sometime in mid-March. The takeaway from this is that there are still 124 MS students who have no idea they've been admitted yet. Just wait if you're in this boat.

Thanks for the post, this is very informative. Congrats on getting an interview.

Did you get any idea what the minimum criteria for the MS admit/possible pool were? Was it a specific GPA or GRE? Or did you get an idea what they value most for admissions? (LORs, GPA, GRE, publications, work experience, etc.)

Edited by double espresso

Not sure about quantitative requirements, but I did ask the person who invited me to interview why I was selected.

According to the person, the main thing that got me in was my balanced SOP. It wasn't just ungrounded passion, and neither was it just extreme technical detail. I wrote about my research and work experiences, focusing on how they made me ready for grad school and the qualities I have now. The second to last paragraph was a more detailed research direction I wanted to pursue as a result of my growth. The last paragraph was about how Stanford's connection to industry would help me reach my realistic humanitarian goals.

However, all of my quantitative stats were also solid. Great LORs, good GPA, stellar GRE, pending second author publications, 3 years research and internship experience. Stanford looks highly on balanced students.

Hey Playfire, congratulations on the acceptance and thank you for the information! Do you know if MS and MS/PhD applications were treated differently other than funding? For example, if you mentioned you were interested in going onto the PhD in the application were you less likely to be accepted than people strictly wanting masters?

40 minutes ago, homesteadjoe said:

Hey Playfire, 祝贺 on the acceptance and thank you for the information! Do you know if MS and MS/PhD applications were treated differently other than funding? 比如, if you mentioned you were interested in going onto the PhD in the application were you less likely to be accepted than people strictly wanting masters?

I imagine they have some sort of PhD goal in order to not short themselves long-term students. After this, they fill up on MS only students until either carrying capacity or a quality threshold is reached. Just my guess.

Edited by playfire

Thank you Playfire for the detailed information. I was wondering if you have some info about their newly launched program "MS in Engg Design Impact" or if it also follows the same structure of interviewing people who are selected (if i have understood the correct thing from your information).

As in, if they interview only selected applicants or applicants who will get fellowship offers.

Would be highly beneficial if you have any info about the same too.

thanks,

Ivy

• 6 months later...

Your info is really helpful.  And may I ask 3 questions:

1. what were you applying for, PhD or MS? Did you send email to talk to those professors you wanna work with?

2. What would you characterize as good LORs? Those from well-known professors, or from professors who know you well and write with full heart?

3. do you happen to know anything about the field of fluid mechanics in MechE in Stanford? Is the candidate pool competitive?

Thanks.

Edited by TurbJet