URGENT-Asking for skype session after bad video interview?

asayi

Question

Hi, 

Last Friday, I had a kira interview from a reputed uni which had only 3 pre-recorded questions to be answered in one minute each. Due to the time constraint I was a bit nervous and kinda feel that I did bad on this video interview. However, I don't want to just wait but try to increase my chances instead. I'm currenly thinking of e-mailing the admissions team whether it is okay if we could arrange a skype session so that I can ask them my questions while helping them to know me better. What would the admissions committee's reaction to this request? Is this approach too agressive or is it worth a shot? I think I need to do this quickly before they arrive at a decision.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Frankly I doubt that asking for a Skype interview will be successful here, although of course none of us can know that for sure. If you think you did poorly on the questions, the best you could hope for is to express that and ask for an opportunity for a do-over. You might not get it, but that's at least something I think they might consider. They're not going to give you an unfair advantage over the other applicants (in fact, in some cases they may be legally barred from doing that) and they're not going to take the time to interview you when they didn't interview anyone else, but somehow asking for an opportunity to re-do the questions doesn't sound like that much of a big deal. (Though assuming that it was timed and you didn't know the questions ahead of time, it *is* an advantage and lowers the chances that they'll say yes.) In any event, not performing well on a recorded interview doesn't naturally lead to a request for a personal conversation. I'd keep the request to something more appropriate, or just accept the fact that everyone has good days and not-as-good days with these things and move on. I would vote for the latter, if you ask me. 

We can't possibly know how they will react. 

I think though that if they didn't schedule Skype interviews (at least at this stage), it is because they are either too busy, they can't find a time when everybody is free, they have little time available, they have too many applicants, or all of the above. Requesting a Skype session may not be aggressive but it is desperate and that it is never good. Yet, if you have been communicating with a POI, you may write something like "I enjoy recording the video interview. Should you wish to further that conversation, please let me know". 

I don't know your field, but in some disciplines the interview is not only a means to know someone better but to assess how a candidate addresses instructions, develops a concise answer, shows clarity, etc. I am not saying yours was the case, I'm saying that there is more to your responses than what you think -given the post you wrote-. Try to accept now that it is not in your hands, that you did your best, and move one to the next interview :)