Benefits of attending the visit day as an applicant on the waitlist

Schwein

Hi! I got admitted into the Ph.D. program at Albany, but I am waitlisted for funding. I am invited to attend the visit day, but as an international applicant, the air ticket is pretty costly. Currently, I think I would definitely go there if I get off the waitlist. I am thinking about whether it will do some help for me to get a funding offer if I attend the visit day and leave the faculty with a good impression. Any suggestions on that?

Honestly, I doubt it will help. The availability of funding for you is going to depend on other people declining their funded offers. If you want to have a chance to make a good impression, ask if you can have Skype meetings/conversations with the faculty you're interested in and perhaps grad students as well.

When you are on a waitlist, is it ranked? I got waitlisted for CUNY Sociology PhD and they did not say when I would know when I would know for sure so I was just curious if ranking was common. 

1 minute ago, joiebee said:

When you are on a waitlist, is it ranked? I got waitlisted for CUNY Sociology PhD and they did not say when I would know when I would know for sure so I was just curious if ranking was common. 

I suppose Albany does rank the waitlist because my letter appears a little bit different from others. The DGS seems to use different words to describe the chance of finally getting a funding offer for different students. I don't know whether CUNY rank the waitlist. They rejected my application.

1 hour ago, rising_star said:

Honestly, I doubt it will help. The availability of funding for you is going to depend on other people declining their funded offers. If you want to have a chance to make a good impression, ask if you can have Skype meetings/conversations with the faculty you're interested in and perhaps grad students as well.

Many thanks! this is a great suggestion.

Congrats on getting admitted to Albany! I have not spoken to anyone who has been waitlisted or accepted to CUNY so I don't know if the language is different. I am going to the open house though I took several courses there already and I am nervous that it will make or break the decision. I am not sure what will tip me to the other side. 

24 minutes ago, joiebee said:

Congrats on getting admitted to Albany! I have not spoken to anyone who has been waitlisted or accepted to CUNY so I don't know if the language is different. I am going to the open house though I took several courses there already and I am nervous that it will make or break the decision. I am not sure what will tip me to the other side. 

Good luck for your visit. At least you can use the chance to ask them about your position on the waitlist.