Soliciting Advice on my Decision

Hi folks!

I am struggling with a decision right now, and I recognize that I am very fortunate to be in this position. I have talked to different people irl about my situation, but really I think you folks would understand best because you're the only people who can relate to all the questions and variables that are at play.

So here's my deal. I don't really know what I am looking for in terms of advice, but I guess it would be helpful to know what you would do if you were in my situation, and why!

I have been admitted to two very good English PhD programs. You'll probably be able to find out which specific ones in other threads (or you can PM me) but for the sake of this thread let's say one is in New York City and one is in the Midwest. Some thoughts/details:

• Ranking/Reputation: Both are top 20 on US-News; the MW one is slightly higher-ranked, but probably not enough to make a significant interest in job prospects. The NYC school is perhaps more of a household name, but I may be wrong about that on a nation-wide scale because I live on the East Coast.
  • Financials: Both offers are fully funded with a generous stipend, the NY stipend is a bit larger but taking into account cost of living, the MW stipend will probably go farther. Specifically, for the same monthly rent I could probably get a much nicer apartment in MW than in NYC, live in a nicer neighborhood, etc.
  • Academics: Both programs have strong faculty within my larger field (Postcolonial), but the MW program is one of the best-known schools for my particular region of interest (Africa). The MW school offers both a PhD minor and a Grad Certificate in African Studies, which I could potentially use to broaden my job eligibility to include Area Studies departments.
  • Academics cont.: That being said, the NYC program has a larger number of Postcolonial faculty, and so if I wanted breadth in Global Anglophone literature it may be the better choice. There was a faculty search this year for an Africanist in the English department, and results should be available soon. Depending on who this person is, my decision might become a lot easier. There is no minor or cert available in African Studies here, neither is there a cert or concentration in Gender and Sexuality (which is one of my thematic interests). There is an MA in Africana studies to which I did not apply (no funding), but there could potentially be coursework possibilities and/or cross-departmental faculty collaboration(?).
  • Personal: I currently live in New Jersey, and I am engaged to a partner who also lives in NJ. My partner is finishing up school and will probably need to be in NJ for the next three years. They also have a part time job here that may have full time prospects, and so it is possible that they would want to stay in NJ long-term. We have been long-distance within NJ for 4 years, and it really would be nice to not have to do that anymore. However, they are understanding that this is a big life-choice for me and are willing to tough it out long-distance for as long as we need to. Going to school in NYC, one of my options would be to commute from NJ and be very close to where my partner currently lives.
  • Personal cont: I deal with some depression and anxiety and my partner has been incredibly supportive and helpful and it would be a probably better mental-health choice to stay close. Even though we are currently long-distance, it's only an hour and a half drive, and we visit each other every two or three weekends. So a far cry from being a pricey plane ride away!

I'm sorry for the long post, but I guess typing out the details helped me flesh out some specific questions:

• How important do you think the possibility for a "credential" in African studies (like a minor or a cert) would be in terms of being able to broaden my job opportunities?
  • Do you think it is appropriate to contact the DGS at the NYC school to ask about the possibility of doing coursework within the Africana studies dept?
  • Is it bad that I am partially basing this decision on my partner/personal life? It kind of goes against everything my mentors have told me, but it's not like I would be choosing a bad program to stay in NJ--moreso a program with a less exact fit, and potentially a less financially responsible option, but not impossible.

OK that's all. Again, sorry for the long post............Can you tell I'm stressed out?

Edited by shoestofollow

From what you're saying it seems that the school in the MW is the best fit, which would of course be a priority logically speaking. But I also understand your dilemma with your partner, given that you have anxiety. Would you really be not just interested, but passionately interested may I say, in broadening to Anglophone lit in general? 

@Yanaka thank you for your response!

I think I am interested in broadening my regional interests. I am passionately interested I would say in the Middle East as a region, in addition to Africa, and so at the very least there is that!

I do not know this for sure, but it may also be a good idea in terms of jobs to have that breadth. Smaller liberal arts schools might not have a position for an Africanist in particular, but for a single Postcolonial-lit scholar who has to teach Asia/Africa/Latin America/Middle East. So the breadth would help with that!

I think one of the most important things to realize is that there is a possibility that your interests may change. If they do change, is one school more likely to have a strength in things you currently have a side interest in?

Schools in the top 20 generally do a good job of placing nationally. But the job crisis has caused a few shifts. Have you looked at where those schools have placed recently? Would you be happy at those types of areas/schools?

Some programs struggle more than others with funding. More recently, UW-Madison have had budget cuts.

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/statements/2016/may/25/scott-walker/scott-walker-who-cut-funds-wisconsin-university-sy/
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2016/03/university_of_wisconsin_and_the_aftermath_of_destroying_professor_tenure.html

CUNY did face funding threats but it's been restored:
https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2016/03/28/cuomo-drops-plan-deep-cut-cuny

Unfortunately, Public schools do have a higher chance of being cut off from state aid. When making a decision (with great fits), I'd consider the chances of funding issues in the future. If a school threatens to cut off tenure, there may not be a possibility that the professor you'd like to work with would be there in a few years.

Are both packages full funding for your entire time there?

Are there events in either place that you would like to do one day? Does one host a certain conference you'd like to present at? Could you live with both lifestyles?

I don't see any reason to not e-mail the DGS about the possibility of doing work in other departments. I think it's fair to say that most programs now encourage interdisciplinary work.

Two thoughts:

1. Given that both are strong programs that would be a good fit for your research interests, I don't think it's unreasonable to pick the NYC option to stay with your partner. If there was a large difference in fit/ranking then I could see arguments against doing this, but it seems to me like a very valid tie-breaker.

2. Have you visited these programs? On paper it sounds like both are good options. But you may find that you simply click with one program/advisor and not with the other. This is probably something that can only be determined by visiting (although that's not even 100% conclusive).

So, I'd say visit both and go with your gut. If it's still a wash at that point, go for NYC for personal reasons.

39 minutes ago, shoestofollow said:
  • Is it bad that I am partially basing this decision on my partner/personal life? It kind of goes against everything my mentors have told me, but it's not like I would be choosing a bad program to stay in NJ--moreso a program with a less exact fit, and potentially a less financially responsible option, but not impossible.

Not to cherry-pick from your post, but I just thought I'd answer this one item with a resounding NO! It's not a bad thing at all! I'm actually rather annoyed at your mentors on your behalf. You can't underestimate the value of a support system, and making a decision that is even partially based on personal factors is perfectly valid. In this case, you've got two amazing programs vying for your attendance, so there's really no reason why the personal elements shouldn't be a crucial factor for you.

I also second what everyone else has said, though @Warelin in particular is wise to point out that your interests can (and likely will) change a bit. So while it's important to go to a program for the people, just bear in mind that you also want to attend a program that will allow you some flexibility.

The value of having a support system so close by is huge. Especially if you suffer from anxiety. As others have said, there's no shame in falling back to the personal when it comes to choosing a fantastic program where you fit over another fantastic program where you fit. If they are both top 20 programs, the job prospects should be what you make them. Say you go to the program with the certificate, but due to stress of a long distance relationship (along with the stress of graduate school), you only publish 85% of the work/attend 85% of the conferences you would have if you went to a program where the long distance stress wasn't there. The more productive you are the better job prospects you'll have. The more stressed you are, (usually) the less productive you'll become. Will the certificate offset 15% less work? Obviously, I've made these numbers up, it's up to you to determine how well you excel in stressful environments. If you think you'll perform equally well at either location, go for the one with the certificate. 

Also... moving across the country is expensive, both mentally and fiscally. If you want to see your SO at all, you'll probably have to factor in the price of airplane tickets/lost hours at work.

I personally would choose the environment where I felt more comfortable, which would be the one where I had access to my supportive SO. Grad school is hard and it's good to have someone outside of the program there for you all the time. I'd choose the NYC program.

Source: I've been the SO to a stressed out PhD who did her MA far away from her support system (13 hours) and her PhD fairly close to her support system (4 hours). I've also done long distance for 2 years while attending college.

First of all, congrats on having the great if also tricky problem of having multiple choices to choose from, especially the two schools you're weighing. 

My initial suggestion to your post would be to take the offer from the NYC school, but live in New Jersey with your partner. This solves two problems, namely: (1) cost-of-living (not that NJ is insanely cheap, but NYU's stipend would certainly go further there than in the city) and (2) proximity to your partner. I echo @Wyatt's Terps comments: it is not only fine but necessary to consider your partner as one of many factors in your decision. I think your mentors might have some ground if proximity to your partner was your only criterion, but here you're clearly taking a whole host of considerations into account, plus you have a partner who's clearly supportive. That support will be invaluable during the inevitable warp and woof of grad school. I've found it fairly common to find grad students averse to having relationships because of the future uncertainty of the job market, which can be a fine choice, but it certainly is not a requirement for aspiring academics. 

Other things on this front: while I think that African Studies certificate from the MW school might have some value, I doubt it will be the thing that really sells your job prospects down the line. If your eventual dissertation is anchored on African studies, and you do a great job with it, then that will be more than enough to sell yourself to African Studies departments. The writing sample is such an important part of job applications, and if you've done great work in African Studies, then you can get the attention of executive hiring committees even if you don't have an African Studies certificate. Unless there's weird departmental politics, I don't see why you couldn't work with African Studies folks at NYU, or perhaps even people from nearby universities (Rutgers, Columbia, etc). It's also worth noting that because you identified the NYC school as having a greater population of postcolonial faculty, you'll be able to draw from a greater breadth of scholars in your field, which will make you more well-rounded and thus a better job candidate. 

I say all of this recognizing that the NJ-NYC commute is not terribly fun to do multiple times a week. I love public transit and probably tolerate it a lot more than most (I really don't like driving), but to me for all the benefits it affords, going with the NYC school seems the best option.

Edited by silenus_thescribe

Coming to this late! Basically echoing others, but:

I have to get behind all of the people who are saying that you are definitely right to take the personal into consideration! It sounds like you don't want to fill the "sacrificing my best interests for my partner" trope, but considering that both places are more-or-less a good fit for you, that is not the case! Also we have to remember that these are the places we'll be spending at least five years of our lives in.  I'm doing my MA in NYC actually (if this NYC school is NYU, feel free to message me, though I'm currently not based in the english dept, I've taken classes there!) which is 3000 miles away from any support system, and I absolutely could not imagine spending another 3 years here.  I also have anxiety/depression troubles, and being dislocated can really send you into a spiral. So I actually think you're being responsible to consider the personal.

I also don't think it'll hurt your future chances of getting a position in an African Studies dept if you don't have a certificate.  With the job market chaos in academia, I'm under the impression that departments want to hire someone who fills many roles, so whether you accomplish that by having a PhD. minor & certificate (MW) or simply by proving yourself widely versed in successful study with many postcolonial faculty (NYC), I think you'd check that box.

As a final point, I think it's hugely reasonable thing to contact the NYC school and ask if you could take courses in the Africana Studies dept.  At this point, if you're accepted they're essentially trying to woo you, so ask anything that will help your decision! 

This is a bit of a false binary I'm making here, but you're smart to be thinking about what might be called the tangible and intangible costs and benefits of your options. Like several others who've responded, I'm dismayed (but not entirely surprised) to hear that some academics have actively discouraged taking your "personal life" (i.e., relationship, distance from loved ones) into account when making your decision on where to attend. And while it's true that some academics (many, in fact) can and do spend extended periods of time away from their partners -- while in school or afterward while working -- this isn't at all a "one size fits all" situation. Not all of us are wired for what worked for Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, for example, and it's worth repeating that there's no need for us to be either. (Aside: I wonder, too, about the gendered and engendering dynamics of this kind of advice in terms of the gender(s) of the person who advocates for what kind of scenario and how tailored said advice is to the prospective graduate student in question depending on their gender(s).) But as many already attending programs have indicated and/or who've been the partner for someone attending a program near and/or far, our academic and scholarly lives are hopelessly, complicatedly, and beautifully entangled. And, finally, indivisible. This is just my two cents. 

On the "academic" side of the equation: I agree that the programs you describe appear to be equal "on paper," though each offers unique opportunities not necessarily matched by the other. Being able to get a certificate in African Studies is certainly a selling point. Yet even taking into account the fact that your research interests likely will broaden and deepen into other areas falling under the umbrella of Postcolonial Studies once you begin coursework, reading for field/comprehensive exams, if African literature figures prominently in your dissertation (one or more chapters, I mean), that expertise will speak for itself in your scholarship in addition to any conference papers, presentations, articles, etc. The other school with a larger contingent of faculty working within Postcolonial Studies in a variety of ways is an equally valid selling point because, as you point out too, broadening the scope of your inquiry would be a good thing.

The major unknown in this situation, of course -- the question of "fit" -- will be answered when you visit both schools. Part of that involves the atmosphere of the department: the engagement and overall morale of your peers in and outside of your fields (are they happy, do they feel supported by faculty, do they support each other, does competitiveness or pettiness run riot) and the engagement and morale of the faculty (are they invested in working with, training, and supporting their students; are they available; are any in your area getting ready to go on sabbatical or fellowships to other institutions, etc; how do the faculty in and adjacent to your fields get along with each other). Graduate students can and hopefully will speak to rivalries and/or friction between faculty and/or amongst themselves. Sometimes all-star scholars are wonderfully invested and engaged in fostering graduate students working within their fields, but this is by no means always the case. You, better than anyone, know what your learning style is and how you will flourish best. And, of course, there's the magical calculus of who you'll respond to best. It might be at the school with the larger group of Postcolonial scholars -- who knows? -- and it might be at the Midwestern school.

Other academic tangibles: I'd agree that, theoretically, interdisciplinary coursework between departments relevant to your interests is hopefully possible; that's definitely something to ask about. Other important things to ask about on visits and to research include: what's the average time to degree for students within this department and/or what's the attrition rate? And, of course, job placement: where are the graduates getting jobs: what kinds of tenure-track jobs vis-à-vis the kinds to which you aspire (R1, SLAC, public versus private) do graduates get in and out of their fields, how many are lecturers or postdocs or adjuncting, how many move into alt-ac careers? Prestige and academic pedigree undeniably play a part in this, of course, but the numbers of each institution will also speak for themselves, and be prepared to ask for the hard data. Other things that might be relevant: how much departmental and university-wide support is there for attending conferences nationally and/or internationally; are there research fellowships you can apply for if you need to do archival work in the US or abroad, or to pick up another language for research?

Now, on the intangible side, which is to say the "personal" side: as you point out, how far "fully funded" goes is incredibly important. I consider this here -- and not with the academics -- because, for me at least, financial solvency has a direct impact on quality of life and state of mind. The cost of living where each of these schools are located is most definitely something to consider. You know your financial situation best. But I think you're smart to acknowledge that the higher stipend of the NYC program doesn't necessarily translate into more money in your pocket, though perhaps staying in NJ would alleviate that somewhat. Another enormous factor that I never considered when I was preparing to enter my program -- and that I learned the hard way -- involves how many months of the year you're funded. Does your funding extend through the summer months and, further, do you have guaranteed funding during every summer or, alternatively, some summers? If your funding is contingent on you serving as a TA or as the instructor of record in your own classroom, does the university guarantee such positions during the summer? (If they don't, it's worth asking how they select who *does* get those positions.) If teaching isn't guaranteed, are there other opportunities available to help you make ends meet as a research assistant, working in a writing center, etc? And, perhaps most importantly, if you're paid on a monthly basis and if your fellowship actually covers 9 months out of the year more than a full 12, when are the gap months when you cannot rely on your funding to pay your bills. In my program, for example, those gap months run from June all the way through the end of September -- unless you're TA'ing or teaching during the summer session and/or otherwise employed in another capacity over the summer months. If I am not working during the summer session, for example, I don't receive a paycheck from the university until October 1st -- and must figure out how to make ends meet from the final paycheck received on June 1st all the way until October 1st.

As far as the relational: I agree with what others have said re: trusting yourself to know what kind of situation will set you up for success. Like you, my partner and I have been in a long-distance relationship since I've been in my program and live roughly two hours away from each other (in Texas time, that's basically nothing as far as driving goes, but it's distance nonetheless). When I was applying to programs -- which were scattered all over the country -- we were likewise facing the possibility that, depending on where I did and didn't get accepted, the best opportunity for me might be in another part of the country. We were prepared for this but, like you, were hoping it might not turn out that way. I should say, too, that I did go across the country for my undergraduate degree (in North Carolina; I'm originally from Texas). And while it was a wonderful experience, it was also damn hard in ways I couldn't have imagined until I was actually doing it. I was prepared to do it again if need be, but I had no illusions about how much more vigilant I would be regarding self-care and support systems if and when I did find myself in a completely new place, without any of my friends or family, by myself. All of this is to say that you're wise to take into account the benefits of being closer to your partner as opposed to farther away. Were I in your situation without having visited the schools in question, I would definitely be leaning hard toward the school that's closer (in NYC) because I, for one, find moving incredibly stressful. And, yes, it is also expensive (it's worth asking if the university in the Midwest offers any way to defray the costs of moving). The slog of commuting, on the other hand -- whether by bus, train, or driving yourself -- can be similarly draining emotionally and financially. It's worth asking the students at NYC how many of them commute (and from where), how they do it, and how hellish (or not) their schedules are (I mean, for example, having to wake up at 4 or 5am in order to be on campus for a class that meets in the morning; or, alternatively, if all the graduate classes are at night, realizing that you may be getting home very, very late). I live outside of Austin and drive 25 miles to an outlying city transit center and then ride a commuter bus into Austin to get to campus on the days I have class and/or teach. In total, it takes between 1.5 to 2 hours to/from campus, and I use that time to get as much reading done as possible. This semester, I'm doing that two days a week -- which is an absolute godsend, although I get up at 5am on those days and don't get home until between 4-6pm -- but by the time I get home, I am done with thinking for the day. Because I'm all but out of coursework and am writing my dissertation now, I use the days I'm not on campus to write and/or take care of any household things that need doing, but the thought of having to take a night class (6pm-9pm), commute 1.5-2 hours home, and then potentially get up at 5-6am to teach a morning class is a prospect I dread having to face (but very well might). As I've written everyone's ears off, I'll quit while I'm ahead. But it's good that you're thinking about this from as many angles as possible, and I hope that visiting each campus will answer a lot of the questions you have!       

Okay! I'm going to give you advice that is somewhat like what others have said but also not. So you've asked us what we would do in your situation. I'd weigh how much benefit each program is to me first, and then factor in any personal feelings. What it seems like, from what you've said, is that the Midwest school is better for your research interests and even if they do change somewhat it sounds to me like there's a large faculty either way. The Grad certificate is a plus, a big plus. Everything you're saying seems to point to the Midwest school as the better option academically. However, that difference might be slight in the overall scheme of things. Just like it's hard to know how programs even figure out who to accept, there also does not seem to be any sure-fire strategy on how to get university's to hire you once you get your PhD either. It seems to me like you won't be making a bad choice either way.

As for the personal stuff. It might be helpful to mention that 5 years is a long time. But also, 5 years is a very small amount of time in the bigger scheme of your life. It might be better to go to the school that's just a little stronger because the payoff will be better for all those years after your PhD. However, that part is a little hard for someone to come in and say how it should be done. You know you better than anyone else. Can you handle 5 years away from your significant other? That's something only you can answer really.

On a personal note: I would looooooove to move faaaaaaar away to some part of the country I'd never seen before. So if I were you, and I'd live in NJ and the NYC area for a while...then I'd be psyched to move across the country and see the Midwest. New people, new cultures, new food, new weather, it would be a great way to expand your horizons. That's my thinking anyhow.

Alright, I hope this was helpful! I wanted t give you another side of things to consider.

I haven't replied again because everybody said what I am going to say, but I'll chime in again anyway, because I don't want you to think that my not coming back to you means that I disapprove :P 

Usually I'm the "don't follow your SO" kind of gal because I made that mistake when I was a little younger and I regret it (well the first time, because I stayed in France with them instead of going to the US like I should have done!!--the second time I moved to Paris as a consequence and that was of course a brilliant idea!). But I've learned with time that a boyfriend or a girlfriend or a special friend can be a true support system, and that it's only natural that you wouldn't want to let go of it. My best friend has depression and anxiety too, and it's gotten way better since he's met the right guy who's patient and calm and comprehensive. I don't know if they'll stay together for ever, but I fully approve his intentions to go to Canada with him, were his bf to act on his plan to move back to Toronto next year (I don't approve the mariage idea, though -_-). 

All this to say: if you have two great options (and if people are advising you to stay flexible in your research), if you're sure you won't regret either choice and if your partner is a true support system and not off and on and he's also very mean as much as he can be supportive, then don't feel guilty for choosing option B, NYC! 

I think it's social pressure that makes us believe that following or staying "for" our partner is rash and stupid, but society also pressures us into feeling guilty when we're single, feeling sad when we're single etc. Movies usually depict those decisions are thoughtless and disapproved of and crazy, instead of reasoned decisions that are not only made out of wuv and stupid wuv addiction, but because we can actually need to be with that person. Why compromise a good thing because of unjustified principles? You're not 18! Sorry for the rant :D 

Since you have anxiety, I'm guessing you feel pressured and guilty enough as it is. No worries, go where you can be happy. After all, that should be the goal in life: to be happy and comfortable :) 

Thank you all! I really appreciate all of your input.

Just to throw a wrench in my decision-making process, I have learned that I can do a joint PhD with African Studies at the Midwest school.

Hmmm......

(but thank you again!!!)

The content in this thread is amazing. I've had mentors make me feel less than for even considering friends and family as a factor in this process. I don't think I can add much more to what has already been said. I'm pretty much in the same boat as the OP, so I'm appreciative of the advice you all have offered.

Best I can do is agree: while its not impossible to do this work alone, why make an already difficult process unnecessarily more burdensome? (At this point, I'm leaning more towards NYU myself)

Best of luck 

Edit: Didn't notice the bit about the joint PhD. I guess at that point it's considering whether the sacrifice is worth the reward, which now may be the case

Edited by alacran