MIT Chemistry- Reapplying

Dichromate

Hello,

This past cycle I applied to a number of chemistry graduate programs; MIT was one. I was accepted to most of the chemistry programs I applied to (many top 10). However, I was rejected to MIT which was my top pick. I was wondering if anyone has experience with reapplying. Is there anything I can do to improve my application enough to get in during the next cycle. I'm looking at non-graduate school alternatives for a year. Mostly at private research institutions and in industry. I applied with no publications but >3yrs of research experience and we are about to publish. Would it be worth it to try this? Additionally I wouldn't be totally lost if the reapplying goes south, as I feel I'll likely be able to get into other schools in the area.

Thanks for the help!

@Dichromate I am sorry that you feel MIT is the only school for you, but what if you find yourself in same position next year? MIT is one of the most difficult schools to get into and has a very good chemistry program but other schools have very good chemistry programs too.

5 hours ago, Dichromate said:

I was accepted to most of the chemistry programs I applied to (many top 10).

You obviously took the time and spent money applying to schools, so why would you not pick one of these schools to attend?

For what it's worth, my suggestion is that you figure out why you would put your future 'on hold' for acceptance into a single school before next year's application cycle.

The answer to that question partly lies in MIT's location as my family lives in the Boston area and is unable to move. I only applied to 2 schools in that area and got accepted to the other. The other school, however, is much lower ranking than MIT. My concern is not only with rank (as that would be silly), but the quality of research occurring at the other institution and in my ability to get fellowships at + postdocs after graduate school.

To be brutally honest, why did you apply to other institutions if you'd rather not go to grad school for a year than to attend them? You could definitely re-apply to MIT with publications & hopefully some more paid research experience, but would you also be re-applying to the schools that you're rejecting this year?

Honestly this is a very bad move. No school that accepted you will accept you again after you reject your offer. If you apply again to only Boston programs (I guess if you're looking for high ranking programs that would be MIT, Harvard, BC is pretty good?) The chances of MIT accepting you after rejecting you once aren't great especially knowing that you got into other top 10 schools. It sounds like you didn't get in for fit, not qualifications. So I'd just accept an offer you have, especially if it's a top 10 school.

You might want to keep an open mind and explore the options you have. In particular, I would strongly encourage taking advantage of any opportunity to visit institutions where you have been accepted. You may find that your perspectives change when you get to develop a personal relationship with a department and the people.

I think putting your faith in one specific institution can be unwise, in particular a place like MIT. Even if you are likely to get in next cycle, you may find that you don't enjoy the institution as much as you though. My very personal feeling is that MIT Chemistry has a rather unique atmosphere that may not be a great fit for everyone. It is certainly a great institution, but that alone does not make it a good place for you. Be careful with what you wish for. 

9 hours ago, Chemcat said:

Honestly this is a very bad move. No school that accepted you will accept you again after you reject your offer. If you apply again to only Boston programs (I guess if you're looking for high ranking programs that would be MIT, Harvard, BC is pretty good?) The chances of MIT accepting you after rejecting you once aren't great especially knowing that you got into other top 10 schools. It sounds like you didn't get in for fit, not qualifications. So I'd just accept an offer you have, especially if it's a top 10 school.

What is your basis for saying that no school would accept a student who has previously rejected an offer? I think most faculty understand that graduate students are allowed to have second thoughts and doubts. 

I think the chances of getting accepted in a later cycle depends on if the student will be able to develop over the year so that the application will be significantly different from the previous year. Just having been through the cycle once, especially if the student visited institutions as a prospective student, may be quite helpful. I don't have any experience with reapplying, but I feel that my perspectives changed dramatically over the period between being accepted and arriving as a first year student. 

The first thing my PI told me when I was considering applying and just not accepting offers if I didn't get into a top program is that that would be fine and I could reapply to schools that rejected me and be successful but that no school that had extended me an offer would offer me a place again if I turned it down. This is because they are looking for people who are serious about their program and research, and one of the biggest tells for someone who is not serious is someone who has turned down your program before. Yes, you are allowed to have second thoughts and doubts, but that doesn't mean you will be afforded the opportunity to join that program again.